Custom Guns $$$$$$$$$

This is a discussion on Custom Guns $$$$$$$$$ within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I have drooled over them in many a gun rag. I have coveted them as I hear people talk about them. But.... Is it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Guns $$$$$$$$$

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar

Question Custom Guns $$$$$$$$$

Ok, I have drooled over them in many a gun rag. I have coveted them as I hear people talk about them. But....

Is it worth the money???

One of those Ed Brown, Les Baer or Wilson Combat custom 1911's run for close to and exceeding $2000. I am but an engineer, and cannot afford that kind of cash. I did scrape and save to buy myself a nice Kimber, and not having shot a true custom can say the Kimber was worth the $900 I paid for it. But is one of those customs truly twice as nice as the Kimber?

I am not trying to be sarcastic, I am trying to justify buying one or not buying one. Obviously if the gun works that well, and is that inherently accurate and reliable it would become my new daily carry. Anybody who has dropped the mortgage on one of these things please let me know.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

2. Remove Ads

Depend if it is to you .. i dont think one you turn me into Rob letham i dont think i could shoot better than my springfield loadeds can ..

Do i want one you bet

Assistant Administrator
    Chris - I have to be guided I think by ''perceived'' value. If I truly felt that another grand spent would give me a true extra grand's worth of shootability I'd consider it, maybe!

My only truly profligate expenditure was my R9 and I can see where the cost comes from, knowing as I do the manufacturing aspect and immense R&D that preceeded its release.

Otherwise - I think my main criterion is reliability plus ideally a ''smooth everything''!! Each to his own I guess but I have gotten close to finishing my buying (note, I said ''close to'' LOL) - and cannot conceive now of spending two gun's money on just one.

Now, if I was given one - well - I'd just suck it up I guess
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

For CCW? No. Not unless you can afford a couple or three, in the event you ever have to use one. If it's for fun & pride of ownership, yeah, I would say so.

I love the feel and handling of the customs, but for something I'm going to use, I'll spend half the cash, and maybe another couple of bills, and let a "no-name" smith, whose work I know to be excellent, add a few bells and whistles to a semi-custom (like your Kimber).

1952 - 2006
    Well now I just happen to have a few of these and I love 'em.

I have a Wilson Tactical Elite built on an STI 2011 frame, a matched pair of Les Baer Thunder Ranch Specials and a Rock River Arms single stack 1911 that was custom built to my specs right down the the serial number.

The thing I like most about them other than the reliability and accuracy is how precise the the tolerances are. When I sit around the house dinking with them I'm impressed that these aren't just handguns.....they are precision bullet launching instruments.

I wouldn't trade any one of them for all the tea in China. But that's just me. To each their own.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

My hope is doen the road is getting a Ed Brown commander size 45 but figure its will take me a few years to get but then on secong thought a Novak tuned Browning HP sound good too. But it a hope and dream. I have to agree with ACPARMED opinion. I have shot several custom built guns over the years and yes I still have my custom S&W models 58s but family responsibities ugh college bound kids has stopped me from doing much else. I have been tinkering with the idea to just build my own 1911 style pistol just to keep me busy. Decisions.

Okay I'll put it to you this way.

I cannot fathom most expensive handguns, save a competition race gun or a hunting gun. I aspire to own someday a 1911 and maybe a SIG of some sort, but they're not high priority things. They seem to cost too much for what they offer to me; they're excellent guns but not so good values imao.

But the fact remains that some people will not be happy with anything less. A friend of the family considers anything less than a tweaked Kimber 1911 to be a piece of crap that will fall apart or else explode and kill you at any given moment. This includes every handgun I own, including the XD which withstood a 20,000 round torture test early in its career.

It's very fortunate for him he's loaded to the gills (he's a Class 3) because he'd be unarmed otherwise and even though I don't agree with his assumptions about Glocks, Sigs, etc. he doesn't deserve to be unarmed for it.

Now to me a $3000+ rifle or shotgun makes perfectly good sense. So it's all priorities.

However I can see why some custom work could be highly desireable. I can't find a single 3" revolver barrel in a tri county area.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    What would the reasons be to put $2K or more into a CCW ?? If I were rich you betcha I'd own 'em. Probably even for CCW.--------

Administrator
    The folks that make the custom guns are extremely talented. They have achieved their measure of notoriety because they are extremely good at what they do. They can put a handgun together & assemble the parts like they are building a fine watch. They have made a name for themselves and are thus able to charge whatever the market will bear.
    You are buying the handgun coupled with the name of the highly regarded builder & the firearm will hold it's value or increase in value over time. They will be THE highly collectible handguns of the future. That being said there are many other lesser known custom smiths who will charge somewhat less money to perform the identical precise work. You will not be purchasing the same high investment value but, you will get a Super Fine handgun out of the deal.

Other shooters just want a known fine handgun "made" & assembled by a known and "above reproach builder" of Best Reputation & they have the money to spend & since it's their money they should be allowed to spend it on whatever firearm they want or need or think they need.

Some artists can dribble paint on a canvas and create a piece of art that looks exactly like a Jackson Pollock painting but, it wouldn't BE a Jackson Pollock. If you want a genuine Jackson Pollock painting then you need to pay the Jackson Pollock price.
    So is a Jackson Pollock painting worth 75 thousand dollars?
    I guess it is because in 20 more years it will probably be worth 90. So if a person wanted to enjoy owning a Pollock painting and have it in their home for 20 years & then make money selling it then it sure is worth the 70. Does that mean that everyone will run out and fork out the big $$$ for a J. Pollock painting.
    Nope!...but, if you could afford one it would be a worthwhile purchase.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

1952 - 2006
    Tho I agree with you QKS, the reason I have mine is the simple pleasure of owning and carrying such a fine piece of equipment. I have been around guns for my entire life, and I mean inextricably attached to, for one reason or another. I'm in my 50's now and I've only obtained these fine specimens in the last 5 years. I figured I was due.

I enjoy disassembling them and examining the precise machining, the tolerances. As was mentioned they are like a fine swiss watch. That's the part I've come to enjoy. (Other than shooting them of course) I just wish I'd had the chance to have them when I was younger and my eyes could make the most of them

As far as resale value, yes, they will appreciate in value, but that isn't why I wanted them. They will all go to someone else when I croak, with the exception of the Rock River. I intend to be buried with that one.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean

However I can see why some custom work could be highly desireable. I can't find a single 3" revolver barrel in a tri county area.
    How about a 4 inch 686 Smith Round Butt gun?

I first want to say that I'm not critical of people that own or dream of owning a high end handgun. I'm in the latter crowd. My one high $$$ weapon is strickly for competition. I shoot it,clean it,insure absolute functioning, and put it away for several more weeks. Guess that my main point is that FOR CCW PURPOSES the weapon that we need to be carrying has to be ::: as powerful as we can handle-- fairly accurate(IMO the distance that we will be shooting will be CLOSE,not the 15-25 yds that some of those training facilities seem to think that we will be shooting at)--fairly small--the highest capacity that YOU think that YOU will need)--absolutely reliable. As long as our choice of CCW fits into these parameters the rest is of no consequince. The name brand dosen't matter.The color of weapon doesn't matter. Revo,auto,DA/SA,DAO, numbers on price tag,all don't matter. I have competed against some old,(almost)rusty,clanky,cheap sighted,cheap gripped,weapons, that were downright FUGLY. I should have been sizeing up the shooter instead of worrying 'bout the looks of his weapon. It is the SHOOTER that beats you. And it will be us and our tactics that will beat the BG not our choice of weapon.---------

OD*

Thumbs up

Amen RSSZ!

It is the man, not the machine.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Thinking on it,----- If I wuz rich and/or willing to spend say $3K on a carry weapon,I would go see(walk into the shop) of one of the famous 1911 smiths/builders and have a weapon built completely to my specs. I feel that would be the way to go if you really want a "this is mine,one of a kind,speciality weapon, for CCW. That would be as good as building your dream home IMO.--------

And I have to admit, seeing a custom made 1911 with the screws on the end of the barrel so you can attach your silencer is just COOL, and with the silencer it's even cooler...

I think if the gun laws were different customs would be even more desireable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links