Got A New Gun Today

Got A New Gun Today

This is a discussion on Got A New Gun Today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, Some of you may remember that I bought an HK USPc 9mm about 2 weeks ago. Well, I finally had a chance to go ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got A New Gun Today

Got A New Gun Today

Hi,

Some of you may remember that I bought an HK USPc 9mm about 2 weeks ago. Well, I finally had a chance to go shoot it today and was NOT impressed. It was not simple to operate and I thought I gripped it just perfect, but for some reason, the way it fit my hand, I limped wristed just about every time I shot it, and stove piped most of the rounds I put through it. Now I am new to guns, but that was just ridiculous. I bought this gun for home defense/conceal carry and if it is going to be that much trouble for me to shoot, then this gun isn't going to work.

So I had only put about 10 rounds through the hk and decided to put it away and go rent the glock 19 again, the very first gun I ever shot and loved. I put about 90 rounds through the glock, with no issues, and decided that was the gun for me.

Longs story short, I now own a glock 19 w/ trijicon night sights. Got it on sale w/ trijicon night sights at Cabela's for $539. I am sooooo happy with it. I am absolutely in love with this gun. It is so simple to operate and shoots very smoothly and accurately. I feel very confident shooting this gun vs. that HK.

PICS!

Black Hawk Serpa Level II & Black Hawk Double Magazine Cases w/ Dual Accessory Rail.
    Glock 19

good choice ! congrats !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    You have got to carry what works for you. Sounds like you made the right choice. Glocks are good guns. Enjoy.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Smooth move!

I'm not a fan of Glocks, but on making a choice that works for you. That's the only thing that matters.

As much as any of us can type on an internet forum, if you ever have to use a firearm for self defense, you are going to be about as alone as you could possibly be. Unfortunately, there won't be time to run to the computer and post a thread to ask what you should do...although, knowing some of the members here, if your door was reinforced, you might have time to start a thread and get a response in time...

In any case, I'm sorry the HK did not work for you. It seems most people are very satisfied with theirs, but if it won't work for you, it won't work for you...period.

I am, however, curious. Did you allow anybody else to try the HK? Did it jam for them, also? How are you doing in accuracy as far as the Glock?

I'm just trying to figure out if you have a fundamental flaw(you mentioned that you were new to pistols, and I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just curious), or if you just got a lemon? It happens. When you produce as much merchandise as the top sellers of firearms, there are bound to be a small percentage that just don't work right.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I am, however, curious. Did you allow anybody else to try the HK? Did it jam for them, also? How are you doing in accuracy as far as the Glock?

I'm just trying to figure out if you have a fundamental flaw(you mentioned that you were new to pistols, and I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just curious), or if you just got a lemon? It happens. When you produce as much merchandise as the top sellers of firearms, there are bound to be a small percentage that just don't work right.
    I wasn't sure what was going on when it started stove piping so I went and grabbed the gun smith and had him look at it. He put a good 10 rounds through it no problem. I'm pretty sure it was just me. He said I was probably limp wristing. He showed me again how to correctly hold it, which was the same way they taught me to hold the glock, and as soon as he left, it started stove piping again.

I'm not sure why I limp wristed so bad on the hk though, and not at all on the glock. Maybe the glock is just a bit more forgiving?

Anyways, I've got a lot of learning and practicing to do, but honestly I was not confident and a little frightened by how the HK handled for me. I had to go rent the glock again just to make sure I wasn't crazy or having a bad day. I'm so new to guns and still a bit frightened by them, so perhaps the HK was just not a good first handgun choice. I am very happy with the glock 19 and how simple it is to use.
    Glock 19

Congrats on your new Glock. You just have to go with what works for you.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Administrator
    Most excellent choice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by lgreen View Post
    Hi,

Some of you may remember that I bought an HK USPc 9mm about 2 weeks ago. Well, I finally had a chance to go shoot it today and was NOT impressed. It was not simple to operate and I thought I gripped it just perfect, but for some reason, the way it fit my hand, I limped wristed just about every time I shot it, and stove piped most of the rounds I put through it. Now I am new to guns, but that was just ridiculous. I bought this gun for home defense/conceal carry and if it is going to be that much trouble for me to shoot, then this gun isn't going to work.
    Try deliberately limp wristing the glock and see what happens.
    For example, try this experiment like this guy in this video:
    YouTube - testing several handguns for "limp wristing"

I figured you actually shot a range gun before you purchased that HK, there is NO way I would buy a CCW without range work with it, that's risky business... you can't be walking around with a gun that you have no real idea about and expect to be competent when you need it.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

VIP Member
    I just love new toys!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Congrats on your choice...

I used to hate Glocks...I now own two...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Not all guns work out perfectly for all shooters.
    Luckily we have many to choose from.
    Glad that you found a firearm that is working out for you.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

At least I can mark the glock 19 off my wish list.

Also, I finally found a walther pps today. Glad I didn't hold my breath for that, cuz it was the most awkward feeling gun I've held yet. It was so short and thin that it felt like there was nothing to grab.

I guess that just leaves the glock 26 on my wish list

Or maybe I'll up the anty next time and go w/ a .40 or .45 glock
    Glock 19

I love these tritium night sights. I'd love to get a lazermax, but $$$.
    Glock 19

Our local gun shop said they quit carrying lasermax because they would simply break all the time and they were tired of getting returns. Anyone completely think that's crap?

Congrats on the gun -- great feeling when you find a match.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links