SP101 vs Glock 36 - Page 2

SP101 vs Glock 36

This is a discussion on SP101 vs Glock 36 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Never shot a G36. Did own a G30 for a while before I dumped all my 45s. I do know that Some object to the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 42

Thread: SP101 vs Glock 36

  1. #16
    Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Lewis-Clark Valley
    Posts
    1,628
    Never shot a G36. Did own a G30 for a while before I dumped
    all my 45s. I do know that Some object to the recoil in the slim Glock.

    As for the SP101. I've owned the 2.5 and 3 inch guns.

    Here I am shooting my new (April) DAO .357 with the superb
    Double Tap 158 gr. Gold Dot.

    Love the ammo, just not a good shot with a revolver.


    The Ruger will be quite a bit cheaper than the Glock.


  2. #17
    VIP Member Array wmhawth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    4,554
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I'd select the GP100 with a 3" Barrel if you are considering a 3" Gun.

    However, that's not an option you listed, so I'd go with the SP101 for a few reasons.


    Biker
    Good post. You said it well bro.

  3. #18
    New Member Array 00bk1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Outside
    Posts
    12
    The SP101 can be safely loaded to top end heavy .357 mag (not a first choice but viable for close range on deer, bears, hogs) or loaded down to a target shooting, kids mouse gun with light 38s. Or, it can be loaded in the middle with 125s for self defense.

    A .45 auto simply can not handle that range of loadings and feed reliably.

    Most people find revolvers easier to shoot, load, unload, and reload with one hand.

    The SP101 will not shoot loose or get tired, no matter what you feed it or how many rounds you put through it.

    It can be pocket carried.

    You can easily strip it all the way down for cleaning without tools.

    You can clean up the finish with 600 grit sandpaper.

    It's not plastic or a strange alloy. Steel is real.

    It's an heirloom.

    The SP101 gets my vote.

  4. #19
    Senior Member Array CR2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    660

    A revolver's "slight edge?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    For carry? I'd take the G36. 2 more rounds, faster reloads, slimmer, lighter...the SP101 is quite a chunk of metal. Reliability? Well...I'd say pretty close, with the slight edge to the SP101.

    As for one caliber or the other; I'd say there it's a wash. .45 doesn't have anything over .357 (the opposite applies as well..).
    "Slight edge" nothing! You can treat a revolver like crap, neglect it, use any HP type ammo with it, hold it any way you want, fire it with contract with a body/clothing and IT WILL WORK... try that with ANY semi auto.

    If you're fighting for your life with a guy in your face, and your glock or other semi auto touched his body or clothing when you fired, god help you because there is a significant possibility it will jam due to the slide being impeded! It's simple physics... the revolver does not have a "slight edge" in reliability and dependability, it has a SIGNIFICANT edge... the only disadvantage is the capacity and that semi autos can be made smaller.

    There is actually a TACTICAL advantage to the revolvers reliability... if you pocket carred a internal hammer revolver (Like the 640) inside a jacket, and a guy was to become a threat such as in a armed robbery... you could actually FIRE THE GUN INSIDE THE JACKET POCKET without issues... try that with a semi auto... you could literally point shoot someone without them even knowing a gun was aimed at them!
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

  5. #20
    Member Array Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    142
    I would toss my hat towards the formidable SP101 for all the reasons mentioned above. Carrying the SP101 can very subjective to some folks. Myself I use a K&D OWB Holster and Belt and with the superb belt Kevin made pulls in my Eagle Defender holster close and tight to my waist so I am good to go. I carry both Open and Concealed and no problems...

    Lastly l would not call the SP101 a range gun per se. It is a snubby therefore intended for defensive "close in" Point & Shoot style shootings.

    Dave

  6. #21
    Senior Member Array camsdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    769
    So 25-50yrd shots are discouraged Im talking dog sized predetors. I guess that is an argument for at least the 3"

  7. #22
    Ex Member Array BikerRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State of Discombobulation
    Posts
    5,253
    [QUOTE=camsdaddy;752554]So 25-50yrd shots are discouraged Im talking dog sized predetors. I guess that is an argument for at least the 3"[/QUOTE]

    I do 25 Yard Head Shots at the Range with my S&W 442 which has a 1 7/8" Barrel, but I wouldn't attempt that shot on the street. I think you would be fine with shooting at a "dog sized" predator with a 2 1/4" SP101 but the 3" gun will be easier to shoot well as it has a longer sighting plane.

    Biker

  8. #23
    Senior Member Array adaman04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Show Me State
    Posts
    809
    Short version, I would choose the G36 for fast reloads and lots of IWB holsters out there. Also capacity is a big factor for me.

    I would like to get a SP101 to pair with my GP100!

    Honestly, you can't go wrong with either.

  9. #24
    VIP Member Array wmhawth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    4,554
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    So 25-50yrd shots are discouraged Im talking dog sized predetors. I guess that is an argument for at least the 3"
    A snub is what it is. I shoot good enough groups at 7 yards with my SP101. I'd want my 4" GP100 for 25 yrd shots. If you want a 3" Ruger you might check out the 3" GP100 as mentioned by another poster. That would give you 6 rounds on board. I frequently carry the GP100 and I DO NOT find it difficult to carry and conceal. When I carry the SP101 I hardly know it's there.

  10. #25
    VIP Member Array Cuda66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    2,366
    Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    "Slight edge" nothing! You can treat a revolver like crap, neglect it, use any HP type ammo with it, hold it any way you want, fire it with contract with a body/clothing and IT WILL WORK... try that with ANY semi auto.

    If you're fighting for your life with a guy in your face, and your glock or other semi auto touched his body or clothing when you fired, god help you because there is a significant possibility it will jam due to the slide being impeded! It's simple physics... the revolver does not have a "slight edge" in reliability and dependability, it has a SIGNIFICANT edge... the only disadvantage is the capacity and that semi autos can be made smaller.

    There is actually a TACTICAL advantage to the revolvers reliability... if you pocket carred a internal hammer revolver (Like the 640) inside a jacket, and a guy was to become a threat such as in a armed robbery... you could actually FIRE THE GUN INSIDE THE JACKET POCKET without issues... try that with a semi auto... you could literally point shoot someone without them even knowing a gun was aimed at them!
    Well, for starters, I don't (if I may paraphrase) treat my weapons (Glock or revolvers) like crap or neglect them...and think that anyone who treats a tool that their life may depend on in such a way is, well, an utter fool.

    JHP's through my G36? Tried bullet weights from 165 to 230, standard velocity and +P. Hasn't choked ever.

    Firing inside clothing? Well, I can get away with it with a Glock--for one round admittedly. But, since I'm not a fan of pocket carry without a holster (if you do need to draw (which, as far as I'm concerned, is a much better way of controlling your firearm than having it inside one's pocket), I've found that front sight blades, hammers, rubber grips tend to hang up on the way out unless they're holstered)--well, they do tend to impede things like the cylinder turning, access to the trigger...stuff like that.

    So, you may feel absolutely free to believe your revolver is ever-so-superior to my auto, and I can keep carrying my Glock, and the universe will continue to spin.

    Thank you very much.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

    ...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper


    There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

  11. #26
    Senior Member Array CR2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Well, for starters, I don't (if I may paraphrase) treat my weapons (Glock or revolvers) like crap or neglect them...and think that anyone who treats a tool that their life may depend on in such a way is, well, an utter fool.

    JHP's through my G36? Tried bullet weights from 165 to 230, standard velocity and +P. Hasn't choked ever.

    Firing inside clothing? Well, I can get away with it with a Glock--for one round admittedly. But, since I'm not a fan of pocket carry without a holster (if you do need to draw (which, as far as I'm concerned, is a much better way of controlling your firearm than having it inside one's pocket), I've found that front sight blades, hammers, rubber grips tend to hang up on the way out unless they're holstered)--well, they do tend to impede things like the cylinder turning, access to the trigger...stuff like that.

    So, you may feel absolutely free to believe your revolver is ever-so-superior to my auto, and I can keep carrying my Glock, and the universe will continue to spin.

    Thank you very much.
    I carry both an auto and a revolver, but I won't ignore the fact that that a revolver has less factors to imped reliability and dependability... these are the simple facts.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

  12. #27
    Member Array ducati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    mi
    Posts
    16
    I have owned a G36 it was 100% reliable. I own Ruger products and think they are great. My choice would be the G36 faster follow up shots quicker reloads. Don't fall into the revolver is more reliable myth. When I was a LEO we had revolvers and I observed far more jams with our revolvers than I did when we switched to Glocks.

  13. #28
    Member Array blue1023's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Posts
    44
    Sp 101 .... my edc .... and for all the reasons listed


  14. #29
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,894

    Wink

    "Slight edge" nothing! You can treat a revolver like crap, neglect it, use any HP type ammo with it, hold it any way you want, fire it with contract with a body/clothing and IT WILL WORK... try that with ANY semi auto.


    Yep, that must be true and that's why every Local, City, State, & Federal, law enforcement agency plus the U.S. Military are all scrapping their semi-automatic pistols and are going back to 5 shot revolvers.

    Hey...let's not start another revolver VS semi-auto debate since there is very little remaining of that dead/decomposing horse to beat.

  15. #30
    VIP Member Array wmhawth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    4,554
    Quote Originally Posted by adaman04 View Post

    I would like to get a SP101 to pair with my GP100!

    Honestly, you can't go wrong with either.
    Yes They are a nice combination.
    Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Got the SP101!!!
    By southarkrob in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: October 12th, 2009, 10:29 PM
  2. Glock 26 vs Ruger SP101.Opinions?
    By lakota in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: November 22nd, 2008, 06:30 AM
  3. Sp101 and 442/642
    By blue1023 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: May 8th, 2008, 12:02 AM
  4. Ruger SP101 .357M vs. Ruger SP101 .38+P
    By jsmosby in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 27th, 2007, 11:14 AM

Search tags for this page

glock 36 or ruger sp101
,

glock 36 vs revolver

,
glock 36 vs ruger sp 101
,

glock 36 vs ruger sp101

,

glock 36 vs sp101

,
ruger sp101 or g;ock 36
,

ruger sp101 vs glock 36

,
sp101 bear
,
sp101 glock 36
,

sp101 reliability

,
sp101 vs glock
,

sp101 vs glock 36

Click on a term to search for related topics.