SP101 vs Glock 36 - Page 3

SP101 vs Glock 36

This is a discussion on SP101 vs Glock 36 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by QKShooter "Slight edge" nothing! You can treat a revolver like crap, neglect it, use any HP type ammo with it, hold it ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "Slight edge" nothing! You can treat a revolver like crap, neglect it, use any HP type ammo with it, hold it any way you want, fire it with contract with a body/clothing and IT WILL WORK... try that with ANY semi auto.

Yep, that must be true and that's why every Local, City, State, & Federal, law enforcement agency plus the U.S. Military are all scrapping their semi-automatic pistols and are going back to 5 shot revolvers.

Hey...let's not start another revolver VS semi-auto debate since there is very little remaining of that dead/decomposing horse to beat.
    So basically you believe a semi auto is more reliable than a revolver then?

Obviously law enforcement and military have different needs... these days LEOs actually carry assault rifles in the trunk! So does this mean the assault rifle is more reliable than the handgun? I would only think it fits their needs of firepower/stopping power better than any handgun but firepower does not have anything to do with reliability, they are clearly separate things.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    I have owned a G36 it was 100% reliable. I own Ruger products and think they are great. My choice would be the G36 faster follow up shots quicker reloads. Don't fall into the revolver is more reliable myth. When I was a LEO we had revolvers and I observed far more jams with our revolvers than I did when we switched to Glocks.
    And what was the gun's history now? I use to shoot a few IPSC matches when I lived in Jamaica, and I have seen Glocks, $3000 1911s and other semi autos malfunction... but I personally never witnessed a revolver fail fire.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    While I don't have a G-36, I do have a G-19 ( 1/4" longer & taller) and a G-26 which is slightly smaller, and i do have an SP 101. I carry all three at various times, depending on my dress, but I carry the G-26 the most, based purely on concealability and rounds of fire.

The SP-101 weighs almost exactly the same as the G-36, and the 101 carries superbly in my AJ Concealco holster, which I highly recommend if you go that route.

All in all, I would really have to go with the G-36 out of your two chioces. For the following reasons:
    Glocks are extreemely reliable
    G-36 thinner and would conceal well
    Easier to reload than a revolver
    Almost 4" barrel on G-36 has a better advantage over the 2" barrel on SP 101.The SP 101 cannot take advantage of 357 's capability.

FWIW: My next gun will be a G36.

whw
    I've carried/shot both guns and found that I prefer the SP101. The reason is reliability.
    The G36 had too many FTE's and the manufacturer blamed it on limp wristing. I'm 6'1" and 230 pounds, so I was shocked to hear I couldn't hold the gun tight enough to get it to extract a spent casing. That ended its role as a self defense gun.
    Its impossible to limp wrist the SP101, and the .357 round is powerful enough for self defense. I wouldn't recommend either gun for hunting small game at the distances you mentioned.

whw

Administrator
    CR2008
    No, that is not what I was saying.

What I am saying is that the argument concerning the inferiority or the superiority of revolvers VS semi-automatics has been hashed and rehashed on this forum and every other Internet forum and every gun magazine and over every campfire and over every gun shop glass counter-top to the extreme degree that there is nothing remaining to discuss to any worthwhile conclusion that has not already been pulverized into a shapeless glop of useless foul smelling paste ad nauseam.

There is nothing remaining above ground of the dead horse to continue to beat.

And that is why any truly intelligent individual would allow it to end right here.

And that is one of two reasons why I am not going to respond to your above posts #s 31 & 32.

The second reason...I won't get into right now.

I don't really care for the guns built like tanks but would take an SP 101 all over a G36 if I had to choose only between those two handguns.

This is only my view but I'm skeptical of governmental entities' choices in firearms or most anything else they attempt. I'm grateful I don't have to utilize their firearms systems and choices for my shooting pursuits.

I just reread the OP and I must admit that I have never seen a wild dog? What is a wild dog? Is there such a thing? I know of Dingo's which are considered wild in Austrailia I believe. There is also the Painted Wolf that is native to Africa and it is described as an "African Wild Dog". Nope, cannot find a breed of "Wild Dog" in North America. Are you talking about some poor sap who no longer wanted to care for "mans best friend" so he decides to dump the dog in the woods to fend for itself and in all likely hood ends up dying a horrific death if it isn't the folks who decide they want to dispatch the dog just to see how there lastest whiz bang hollow point performs, well I pity that person. And I pity you if you fit that profile!

Dave

A couple of confusing phrases.

"What I think I am having the biggest trouble with is a 45 is great for people but not animals and a 357 is great for both."

With proper bullet placement a .45 is just as good as the .357 and a .357 won't make up for bad hits.

"Are you talking about some poor sap who no longer wanted to care for "mans best friend" so he decides to dump the dog in the woods to fend for itself and in all likely hood ends up dying a horrific death if it isn't the folks who decide they want to dispatch the dog just to see how there lastest whiz bang hollow point performs, well I pity that person."

Feral dogs are a problem in rural areas. Their elimination is necessary from time to time. The feral people who dump them are sorry scum.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I don't really care for the guns built like tanks but would take an SP 101 all over a G36 if I had to choose only between those two handguns.

This is only my view but I'm skeptical of governmental entities' choices in firearms or most anything else they attempt. I'm grateful I don't have to utilize their firearms systems and choices for my shooting pursuits.
    I too am skeptical of guns chosen by governmental entities but I must confess I'm pretty fond of my Beretta. I've just never been drawn to any flavor of Glock.

OK let me clarify wild dog. While I meant this as coyotes and such I will further add wild dogs.
    Yes I spend a lot of time in rural areas and yes sometimes people choose to drop off dogs they no longer care to take care of to live off the land.
    Well while I realize that the dogs are out just trying to survive I also realize how they do it.
    They attack baby cows, goats,ducks etc.
    No, I don't go shooting every dog I see but sometimes it beats the alternative of the dog having to decide to eat what it can find or die.
    Now saying that my family and I have taken in numerous strays (different than wild) over the years that have proved to be some of the best dogs I have ever had.
    I am not wondering country roads looking for dogs to shoot.
    However if my family and I are approached in a threating manner man or animal
    & I will do whatever is in my power to protect my family.

Administrator
    Not to stray too far off the subject -
    Formerly domesticated abandoned dogs will revert back to wild and reform packs and hunt in packs.
    I've not seen it here in the US but, I've seen it elsewhere.
    Hey...they need to survive just like every other living thing.
    They will do what they must do and can become quite vicious, territorial, and nasty.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Not to stray too far off the subject -
    Formerly domesticated abandoned dogs will revert back to wild and reform packs and hunt in packs.
    I've not seen it here in the US but, I've seen it elsewhere.
    You are absolutely correct. I ranched in Nebraska for many years and ran a cow-calf and yearling operation. We had lots of coyotes on the ranch but never had any problems with them. Feral dogs were an entirely different thing. They'd chase down calves and kill them just for the heck of it.

Once, my mom was trapped in her car at her house because 3 wild dogs had surrounded her car. She just waited in the car until I showed up as she knew I was coming over. In that case, I shot the most aggressive dog and the other two left. Out on the range, any wild dog was history.

I love dogs. I had dogs for a good portion of my life and I hate shooting dogs. As far as I'm concerned, the owner's who do not control their dogs are the ones that ought to be punished.

Cloudpeak

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links