SP101 vs Glock 36

SP101 vs Glock 36

This is a discussion on SP101 vs Glock 36 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I cant decide between the two. I like the SP due to its a revolver and I figure I can definately benifit from the dry ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SP101 vs Glock 36

SP101 vs Glock 36

I cant decide between the two. I like the SP due to its a revolver and I figure I can definately benifit from the dry fire practice, would be able to shoot a variety of ammo loadings from 38 to 357 to shot shell. I would have five rounds of 357 on tap and a 3"barrel. OR I like the 36 due to well its a glock, its a single stack, its a .45 and it fits my hand but both do. (secret, also looking at a 26&19 another debate). I like having the larger caliber (makes big hole) and the ease of reload of the 36. I am a slim guy 5'7 138lbs Im pretty sure I can easily conceal either. What I think I am having the biggest trouble with is a 45 is great for people but not animals and a 357 is great for both dont understand why the debate of material selection I dont understand why punching holes in someone and a animal are different. I would carry 85% small urban enviorment 15% rural/ woods. Looking to carry year round. I know most sd shots will prb be within 7yds but would consider stretching to 25-50 yds in more rural enviorment wild dogs, coyotes, general plinking etc. so med range accuracy I think could be gained from both.
    Last edited by camsdaddy; June 12th, 2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: unfinished title

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    What I think I am having the biggest trouble with is a 45 is great for people but not animals and a 357 is great for both dont understand why the debate of material selection I dont understand why punching holes in someone and a animal are different. .......................... I know most sd shots will prb be within 7yds but would consider stretching to 25-50 yds in more rural enviorment wild dogs, coyotes, general plinking etc. so med range accuracy I think could be gained from both.

I'll 'generalize' my answer a little bit.......both calibers will kill "wild dogs, coyotes, general plinking etc." and any 'urban critter' with deadly efficency. Either firearm (Glock or Ruger) will work. The.357 does have more power, but in a handgun with a 4" or less barrel either will handle both of your requirements. A .45 will kill anything just as dead as a .357 will. (not starting a caliber war or a "my gun's better than your gun" debate.......I like both of those calibers and have used 'em both)

Both would a blast (pun intended) to shoot and plink with! Either firearn will 'hold up' just as well as the other would in both enviroments you mentioned.

If your going to be taking shots at 'rural critters', a small carbine/rifle would be an even better choice IMO.

If your still floundering in this quagmire when you go to the gun shop to make a purchase, well then get 'em both! Can't go wrong!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

both are good. Get one of each ! problem solved !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Of course thats the best solution but trying to hold on to everything I have and cant afford both right now.

My choice would be the SP101 Actually it IS my choice. Most likely you'll end up shooting 38spl +Ps though.
    Attached Images

To me the SP101 is a sweet shooter and an easy carry. To be fair I can't really pass judgement on the glock as I have never had enough interest in them to really try them out. I'm sure they are good guns and it may be sacrilege on this forum but IMO they are a real zero personality gun. I bought an XD9 which I like OK but that's about as close to a Glock that I would want. All respect due of course to those who own them and like them, you would be the majority. As for the OP's choices presented, I'd take the SP101.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I cant decide between the two. I like the SP due to its a revolver and I figure I can definately benifit from the dry fire practice, would be able to shoot a variety of ammo loadings from 38 to 357 to shot shell. I would have five rounds of 357 on tap and a 3"barrel. OR I like the 36 due to well its a glock, its a single stack, its a .45 and it fits my hand but both do. (secret, also looking at a 26&19 another debate). I like having the larger caliber (makes big hole) and the ease of reload of the 36. I am a slim guy 5'7 138lbs Im pretty sure I can easily conceal either. What I think I am having the biggest trouble with is a 45 is great for people but not animals and a 357 is great for both dont understand why the debate of material selection I dont understand why punching holes in someone and a animal are different. I would carry 85% small urban enviorment 15% rural/ woods. Looking to carry year round. I know most sd shots will prb be within 7yds but would consider stretching to 25-50 yds in more rural enviorment wild dogs, coyotes, general plinking etc. so med range accuracy I think could be gained from both.
    The glock 36 only holds 6 rounds, and is bigger than a J-frame revolver... I would go with the revolver for added reliability, ease of use and the fact that you have more rounds to shoot and select from (38, 38+p, magnum rounds).
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

If you want to dry fire practice the Glock, you can point it and shout "BANG! BANG! BANG!" At least that's what I do.

For carry? I'd take the G36. 2 more rounds, faster reloads, slimmer, lighter...the SP101 is quite a chunk of metal. Reliability? Well...I'd say pretty close, with the slight edge to the SP101.

As for one caliber or the other; I'd say there it's a wash. .45 doesn't have anything over .357 (the opposite applies as well..).
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

The G36 looks like a good choice. Easier to hide IMHO. and of course the aforementioned advantages of capacity, realods, yada yada. Although if I could find a way to reliably hide/carry it I'd take the SP101 everytime. I like wheel guns.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    It really boils down to what you are more comfortable with...and what you can shoot better with....for many, the simplicty of the revolver is hard to beat...

Quote Originally Posted by Bline View Post
    Although if I could find a way to reliably hide/carry it I'd take the SP101 everytime. I like wheel guns.
    Seems mighty easy to hide/carry to me. Weighs 26 oz, barrel 2-1/4". I guess it's relative to what you are accustomed to.

IMO for concealability I would go with the Glock 36. I find it much easier to conceal the semi-auto. However, the Ruger SP101 is an excellent choice for a revolver - it's is at the top of my future purchase list for revolvers.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Glock-36 is my vote...I have one...I like it...it was the only Glock that I first liked...it's now my "Harley" EDC...

Get the Glock-36
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'd select the GP100 with a 3" Barrel if you are considering a 3" Gun.

However, that's not an option you listed, so I'd go with the SP101 for a few reasons.

I really like the "full house" load .357 Magnum, it has been proven to work as well as any handgun round out there. Also, being a Revolver I find it easier to hide than an Autoloader, eventhough it's thicker. I also like that the gun is fully "at rest" when loaded and being carried. The same is not true of the Glock 36.

The only Glock I've had, out of six, that was a "jamamatic" was a Glock 36, so I'm sure that makes my selection biased. I also like that one can use a variety of different power levels in a Revolver and not worry about creating a malfunction as long as the bullet has enough power to get out of the end of the Barrel.

There is no such thing as "limp wristing" a Revolver. The same is not true of the Glock 36. Although I wasn't "limp wristing" mine, it still jammed. I also like that the stocks on a Revolver can be changed to provide optimal hand fit and/or concealability.

OK, that's my choice.

Biker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links