My No-Nonsense Carry Pistol - Page 2

My No-Nonsense Carry Pistol

This is a discussion on My No-Nonsense Carry Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Be careful bobbing the hammer too much. Removing mass "can" cause light strikes by reducing the weight of the hammer and it's impact force. My ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My No-Nonsense Carry Pistol

Be careful bobbing the hammer too much. Removing mass "can" cause light strikes by reducing the weight of the hammer and it's impact force. My preference would be a drop in beaver tail and commander hammer.

Congratulations on your purchase, glad to see it's working out well for you. I'd love to own one (came very close to picking one up last winter), but a G26 is higher on the list.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping View Post
    Yup. Common issue with those.
    Bob the hammer. As far as "bluing," you don't have any. I think what you're looking at is park'ing. Personally, if it were my gun, I'd just throw another hammer and strut in it and call it good. Then, a sear, then a disconnector... oh geez, here I go again.
    That sounds right. RIA pistols are Parkerized, not blued. Some of the Armscor pistols were blued, but those aren't readily available in the U.S. anymore.

-JT

Not bad, but obviously, it shoots to the left. You missed the quarter every time . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    (half dollar)

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Here we go...

The Colt 1900, the direct predecessor to the original M1911...

Notice the lack of an extended tang, and the up swept, somewhat abbreviated hammer.

The original M1911 as developed for the US military.

Notice how the tang is still abbreviated. I'm not sure whose bright idea it was to sweep the hammer spur down, though its resemblance to the M1973's hammer spur is obvious...

Then the US Army went and screwed with the tang...

It had been pretty well established by this point that Browning intended to keep the tang fairly short and the hammer spur, if existent, high and up swept to avoid hammer bite. (Look over all his designs previous to the original M1911. It's fairly obvious.)

So here's my solution:

The hammer was bobbed and the tang was shortened.

I rounded off the hammer spur, but kept a square shape I do like, much to the angst of some purists.

A closeup of the abbreviated grip safety's tang.

Don't worry purists, this was made from a dinged up safety I had laying around. The original is safe. I do wish I had gotten just a bit closer to the original safety, and I know I've seen them for sale.

The result of all this is a very comfortable, very controllable 1911a1 which approximates the original M1911 closer than it does the a1. So far as I can tell, the only thing it gives up to the a1 lineage are the trigger relieves and short trigger.

I now have a very shootable, near stock, 1911. The trigger breaks right at 4lbs according to my analog trigger gauge. It has a little take up and a crisp, clean let off. I can see the military sights just fine and have no desire to change them out right now.

You know, I've learned something today. Sometimes you just don't *BLEEP* with an engineer's intent, even if you are the US military.

B52
    Very nice Josh, my wife is filipino and when she found out that your gun was made in the P.I.; she now wants a 1911. Thanks for your post and pic...I love it when the misses wants me to buy new weapons!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links