I just can't make up my mind.

This is a discussion on I just can't make up my mind. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i'll have to check those out, thanks alot. ok, here's a question that will probably show my lack of experience with 1911's: will JHP's, or ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I just can't make up my mind.

i'll have to check those out, thanks alot.

ok, here's a question that will probably show my lack of experience with 1911's:

will JHP's, or any types of ammo besides ball, run through a 1911( of any brand, let me know if brand matters) without jamming?
    i thought i heard or read somewhere that most will jam often with anything but ball ammo, but didnt see or hear if it was manufactor specific.
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

2. Remove Ads

There are very few 1911's that I would trust to feed JHP's right out of the box. Norincos are the only ones, with the exception of really high dollar custom guns like Wilsons. However, any decent gunsmith can "throat" a 1911 barrel. That is simply a matter of slightly radiusing the chamber mouth and then polishing it and the feed ramp to a glass-like finish. If done properly, it will be VERY reliable. The rule of thumb for a street pistol is to feed it 200 rounds of whatever round you intend to carry (I know, that's a bit pricey, but necessary nonetheless). If you don't have any malfs, it is considered to be reliable.(BTW, I would run ANY pistol that I intended to employ in a defensive role thru this test, regardless of manufacture or whatever gunsmith that did the work on it.)

well being a student, the gun itself is my main priorty(money probably won't allow for any smithing too soon). i just want something that will shoot straight and reliably. i appreciate everyone's input and many suggestions, but i just keep running back to the SA site to stare at their guns. i don't know what is it but there is just something about them that attracts my attention.

BTW gary, i looked into your site and those are some very nice holsters, got any special prices for poor little college students like myself ?

Mr Orange,
    Please check your PM's. Thanks!

I'm going with the standard sized USP 45 with at least three sp 12rd mags (I have a source that sells them for $35) ans I like the light rail options. I suspect it's going to be my trip carry piece while the Sig P245 resides on my hip for daily wear.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I have been very happy with my Springfield Armory Loaded 1911. I had very few problems breaking it in and it ran well after only 100 rounds or so. Since then it has been totally 100%. I have a couple friends that had long break in periods with there 4" Springfields but after about 300-400 rounds the guns now run perfect.

As far as the Springfield customer service it is great. My wife got a Black Stainless Combat a few weeks ago. I found some issues with the gun and SA is taking care of them under warranty. The warranty work was done in less than 2 weeks. They still have the gun but that is because I am having some work done in there custom shop.

Mr. Orange,

If you are on a budget I have seen good deals on slightly used SA loaded 1911s. I just saw a couple that had only 1 or 2 boxes of ammo through them. One, a full size 1911 was bought new then traded back to the gun shop for something smaller because it did not conceal very well in the guys Uncle Mikes shoulder holster . Another I was told did not feed very well but had not had a full box of ammo through it yet. It probably just needed a good break in. If the gun still had problems after a couple more boxes of ammo and a cleaning SA would take care of it and they even pay the shipping.

I would like to give Gary Brommeland a shameless plug. His leather is just awesome. If you decide to get a holster, belt, and mag carrier from Gary you will not regret it. But be warned once you use top quality custom leather you will never want to use cheap mass produced leather again.

Something I have noticed about custom holsters and leather is for the most part it does not cost much more than production stuff. It does take longer to get though. So if you go this route order as soon as you can. In the long run you can save a lot money by avoiding the big box uncomfortable holsters. I have managed to keep my box pretty small.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

about how much do new and used SA loaded's run? i am going to check with the only dealer in my area this week, but i need a something to compare prices to.

DC Founder
    For an IWB holster, you really do need one of Gary's Max-Con V's. As Gary said, you really can conceal a full size 1911 while wearing a pair of shorts and tshirt. I do it all the time
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

OD*
    mr. orange,

There are a number of excellent 1911 copies on the market, I just happen to prefer Colt's. As to their feeding hollow points, it is more a matter of bullet profile than a brand of gun, I have 1911s from 1913 thru 2005 and they all feed HPs. I'll have to respectfully disagree that most 1911s need tuning to be reliable out of the box, that hasn't been my experience. Good luck in your search.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by mr. orange
    about how much do new and used SA loaded's run? i am going to check with the only dealer in my area this week, but i need a something to compare prices to.

In my area, new about $850-$900. Slightly used $650-$700. Hard to say though, sometimes you can get a real good deal if in the right place at the right time.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Gary...

is it true that you have special prices for poor starving college students?

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884
    Gary...

is it true that you have special prices for poor starving college students?

--Jim
    Not as a rule, but occasionally I'll try to help a guy out...

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. orange

Just got a SA Champion. Has many nice features- ambi safety, night sights ect. $760 price tag plus tax. nice gun. Can ya guess which will get carryed more, my HK USP or this nice slim , 1911? Check out a Champion for a bit less than a loaded.

A two week turnaround time with a SA warranty work?
    Hmmm....I sent my SA 1911 to my dealer for the shipping around two weeks ago.(Im leaving town for a bit, and I dont want U.P.S. leaving my 1911 on my doorstep)
    Maybe I should call my dealer soon.

I don't know guys. My Milspec must be a little strange. It eats everything I give it and I can cut the center ring out at the range. I believe the milspec will do you fine and I don't see a need for work beyond your favorite set of grips and maybe a ramp polish job of which I don't even have yet. I think if you just leave the thing alone other what is listed above you will have a good quality firearm.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links