I just can't make up my mind.

This is a discussion on I just can't make up my mind. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; as many of you have seen and posted in my thread regarding usp's i was all gung-ho about buying one. but my first instinct was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just can't make up my mind.

as many of you have seen and posted in my thread regarding usp's i was all gung-ho about buying one. but my first instinct was to go with a 1911(this was until i shot a usp, and have had no run-ins with a 1911). my question is: what are the major differences in shooting, accuracy, and ease of concealment between a 1911( probably going to be a springfiel mil-spec) and a usp?
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

1911 is easyer for me to conceal my Hk is just a little bigger plus 1911 has a sweet trigger while the Hks is good enough but not great

Hk has the advantage in mag capicty but loses that in cost 50$ for one 12 rounder

This is gonna be a personal preferance thing i have carried both and like both Hk does more bedside duty than carry gun now

I owned a USP .45, one of the best shooting pistols that I ever owned...
    The reason I went with a Para P14.45 is of the weight.
    When I shot the USP I could actually notice it getting pretty top heavy after a few rounds, since it is plastic at the bottom and metal on top... it was the balance of the weapon that would throw my last few rounds off target.
    I believe a good solid heavy pistol is easier to control and fire acurrately.
    Just my honest opinion...
    Clarence
    Bullseye 2568-83x
    Distinguished Revolver #99
    E.I.C. 30pts.(need a hard leg)
    10z n Xs

Assistant Administrator
    Clarence makes a vaid point re balance but apart from that I reckon it has to be down to your preferences. Most know, I like weight so that is a consideration - and why the 226 ST suits me well, very controllable. The 1911 same thing really, some useful weight and of course slimmer than many.

I think you have to handle and shoot any and all guns you may seek - it is in the end I reckon the only way to decide properly.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I would go with the 1911.

I OTOH would pay no attention to Bruce and go with a USP45 :)
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

well i believe i am going to go to the local range and see if they have a 1911 to rent. hopefully they will and i can make up my mind there.

also, if i do get the Mil-Spec, would i be able to put low profile sights like novak sights without any gunsmithing? from the look of the cut for the sights i dont' think i can.
    Last edited by mr. orange; November 3rd, 2005 at 07:50 PM.

DC Founder
    I believe that with SA Mil-Spec that you may have to have a dovetail machined for the front sight, but I am not absolutely sure since I am not that familiar with that model. If you do, that is really a quick process for a good gunsmith, particularly one familiar with the 1911. That being said, I am partial to the 1911 as several of our other members but it really comes down to what you are most comfortable with. They are both great guns. Good luck on your selection!
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I have both, and feel the 1911 is going to be a flatter profile. The HK USP has the weight atvantage over the 1911, and also the Hi Cap mag to it's atvantage....why not carry both? That way, you're covered on all sides
    Seriously though. The Mil-spec doesn't have dovetail sights, as the USP does. They each have all the good qualities you're looking for. If you go with the S/A....polish up the feed ramp, and get some good mags that will work reliably in it.

If you go with the 1911, why not a "Loaded"? It would already have the little refinments you want, and should still come in a few bucks under the USP. Both good guns, but the concealment edge goes to the 1911.
    str1

well i am looking for the lesser expense.... would getting the "loaded" 1911 be the same price or cheaper than getting the mil-spec and have it smithed for novak sights?

Lead Moderator
    I have a HK uSP and am now considering a 1911. Both will get the job done and are proven designs. I guess it is more personal prefence than which is better. You need to decide which gun you prefer.

Howdy!

The HK has the advantage of out-of-the-box reliability, whereas most 1911's will require a bit of tuning. (And some require a LOT of work in order to be street ready). The USP is the most accurate stock pistol that I've ever fired - amazingly so, in fact.
    However, I do not own one, and doubt that I ever will. Why? Because it is a beast to conceal. In one of my Max-Con V's, I can effectively and comfortably conceal a 5" 1911 while wearing cargo shorts and a tee shirt. With heavier clothing, it is that much easier. Rule #1 of gunfighting is to have a gun. If I cannot conceal it, I cannot carry it on my person. If I cannot carry it on my person, it is not going to fulfill rule # 1. It then becomes just another expensive toy.
    As a side note, if you want a truly great street pistol on a budget, look around for a Norinco 1911. The quality of the metal and heat treat is heads above any current production 1911 (They are entirely forged, milled and hand fitted - just like the Colts were several decades back). I've NEVER experienced a malf of any kind with one, even straight out of the box. All you absolutely have to do to one is put some decent sights on it, and replace the mags w/ metalforms or Wilsons and you're set. Then you'll have some $ left over to take a tactical handgun course from a good trainer and you'll be worlds ahead of the guy who buys an expensive blastomatic and pronounces himself "ready". (I had already fired thousands upon thousands of rounds before I ever set foot in my first professional pistol course. Within about 20 minutes I realized that I was totally clueless in real world defensive shooting.) Training/skill/mindset are way more important than what equipment you choose. I hope this helps you. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any further assistance. Thanks!

thanks for the info, i'll have to look into the Norinco. are there any sites where i can find good prices on them, because i have never seen one in a shop( actually i have never even heard of them...)?

Hi again,

Comrad Klinton signed an edict (ie Executive Order) outlawing the importation of all Chinese firearms back during his reign of terror. You will almost never find them in a gunshop anymore for that reason. They can sometimes be found at gun shows. I bought my last one off of www.gunsamerica.com . Another possibility is www.gunbroker.com . Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links