Please Help! S&W Revolver Spring Help

This is a discussion on Please Help! S&W Revolver Spring Help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took slide plate off S&W 642 without any harm to the gun. The problem is a spring shot out and I can't find it! ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help! S&W Revolver Spring Help

I took slide plate off S&W 642 without any harm to the gun. The problem is a spring shot out and I can't find it! Where can I buy a replacement? I'm not even sure what its called. I have attached a pic with an arrow showing what spring is missing! Look for tiny red arrow.
    Attached Images

no such thing as "knock down power"......
    only "knock down accuracy"!!
    lawyers are the only ones counting the misses ACCURACY FIRST!!

It looks like your Sear Spring is the one you are talking about SMITH & WESSON | 63-3, 632, 640, 642, 649, 649-1, 650 | ITEM#297270U | e-GunParts.com

But you better call them to make sure.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Just ordered from Numrich. He's about an hour away so shouldn't be too long. Man, what a bummer! Well, since I have the gun cracked open is it a pain to replace hammer springs for a better action?

Administrator
    I would get a wolff kit while I was tinkering around in there, why not?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Let's try to hold off on the off topic comments - just for the sake of making an off topic comment in the areas of the forum other than Off Topic & Humor.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

No, that's not the sear spring, it's part of the safety system, and isn't shown on the Brownells schematic, nor does S&W give you a parts diagram on the "Modern" revolver- they don't want you messing with it.

Bad news: if you want it, you'll have to 1) send it to S&W, or 2) order this kit from Wolff/Brownells, and do a trial and error fitting.
    BLITZPAK #3
    Blitzpak #3 consists of a total of 30 miniature coil springs, 2 of each design as described in Kit #3 .
    Stock No. 10035.....$ 9.99
    Good news: If you go to the S&W forum, you can learn how to remove all the unnecessary safety shtuff that has shown a remarkable tendency to lock up guns. It was up to 11 pages of individual reports, last time I looked...

Actually, if you simply must have an unintentional disable switch in your pistol, I would suspect part # 4 would drop right in(even though it is made for the cylinder release). That would have been a cheap & easy solution for Smith.
    Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories and Gunsmithing Tools

Edit: I just noticed Brownells doesn't list part # 4 as available for order, so I must be correct. You could try calling Smith, or better yet, Wolff and tell them you need a replacement "cylinder-catch rebound spring."

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    No, that's not the sear spring, it's part of the safety system, and isn't shown on the Brownells schematic, nor does S&W give you a parts diagram on the "Modern" revolver- they don't want you messing with it.

Bad news: if you want it, you'll have to 1) send it to S&W, or 2) order this kit from Wolff/Brownells, and do a trial and error fitting.

Good news: If you go to the S&W forum, you can learn how to remove all the unnecessary safety shtuff that has shown a remarkable tendency to lock up guns. It was up to 11 pages of individual reports, last time I looked...

Actually, if you simply must have an unintentional disable switch in your pistol, I would suspect part # 4 would drop right in(even though it is made for the cylinder release). That would have been a cheap & easy solution for Smith.
    Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories and Gunsmithing Tools

Edit: I just noticed Brownells doesn't list part # 4 as available for order, so I must be correct. You could try calling Smith, or better yet, Wolff and tell them you need a replacement "cylinder-catch rebound spring."
    With all do respect I think you are wrong. The safety spring appears to be higher up and against the frame. The spring i lost allows the sear to reset after each trigger pull.

S&W Springs

I had much experience with S&W DA Revolvers but it was many years ago. We just shortened most of the springs as softer springs weren't available. You should be ok to cut off two full turns off the main spring. (Hammer strut spring)
    The most important spring to make the piece butter smooth is the trigger spring in the rectangle box. I think it is a reset spring and it is what makes the whole thing work.
    Keep in mind that the most important thing is to fit the parts and tune the gun not just replace the springs.
    The picture provided by the origionator of this thread is of a nice fairly new revolver. You can see really bad rub marks on several of the parts. The for and aft sliding box with the spring inside and the grove in the frame it moves in needs polishing. This is the best mod to make a S&W sing. You may think you have a smooth revolver until you get to handle one that has been tuned right.

You had better take it to a gunsmith,the sear spring is tricky to replace without bending or deforming.If you are going to do it yourself order a couple of them they are cheap!The hammer spring is gravy to replace ,compared to the sear spring,and trigger return spring!If you slid the sear out of the hammer while disassembling your 642,chances are even if you find the spring you lost,it is bent beyond repair!Brownells carries it,and they have great service!Order it today ,and you will have it before the end of the week!I do not see a spring for the MIM hammer listed on the Numrich sight,I think when you get it ,you will recieve the wrong part!
    SEAR SPRING, MIM HAMMER at Brownells

VIP Member

Lightbulb Read the Manual!

Look in the back of the owners manual! There is a parts diagram with the correct name and parts number for every part of the revolver. With that information a replacement part can be ordered from Brownells, Smith & Wesson, or anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    With all do respect I think you are wrong. The safety spring appears to be higher up and against the frame. The spring i lost allows the sear to reset after each trigger pull.
    You are correct- I opened one this weekend.

S&W Revolver Springs

While most of the springs in a Revolver can be lightened, The insides of most look like a gravel road. Lots of polishing can be done where parts are rubbing together. Makes a Smith realllly smooth.

i took slide plate off s&w 642 without any harm to the gun. The problem is a spring shot out and i can't find it! Where can i buy a replacement? I'm not even sure what its called. I have attached a pic with an arrow showing what spring is missing! Look for tiny red arrow.
    i went to a brownells web page don't know how to paste and copy looks to part number 63 sear pin

i took slide plate off s&w 642 without any harm to the gun. The problem is a spring shot out and i can't find it! Where can i buy a replacement? I'm not even sure what its called. I have attached a pic with an arrow showing what spring is missing! Look for tiny red arrow.
    i went to a brownells web page don't know how to paste and copy looks to part number 63 sear pin spring. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links