Any Reason Not To Get a Walther PPK?

This is a discussion on Any Reason Not To Get a Walther PPK? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have all the guns I need, but like the way PPK's look. Plus, I don't have a .380 and am just looking for a ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Reason Not To Get a Walther PPK?

I have all the guns I need, but like the way PPK's look. Plus, I don't have a .380 and am just looking for a reason to get some flat nose Buffalo Bore .380's. And, it's Buy-A-Gun-Friday again.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

I have had PPK's for the last 25 years and loved everyone. Yes they are bigger that some, yes they need some work to eliminate biting but all of mune have worked! Plus they look good. The new S&W PPK's have solved a few of the bite issues.
    If you like it, but it. All guns are GOOD!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I would have to say that 'Buy-A-Gun-Friday' trumps any reason for not purchasing a PPK...It's Friday, you don't have a .380 and well, do you really need any more reasons?

I would probably go with the SIG P232 or the Bersa, but not knowing what you already have, I couldn't say.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by Air,Land&Sea View Post
    I have all the guns I need, but like the way PPK's look. Plus, I don't have a .380 and am just looking for a reason to get some flat nose Buffalo Bore .380's. And, it's Buy-A-Gun-Friday again.
    Get a Bersa Thunder 380. Half the price of the PPK and shoots like a charm. The Bersa also don't give you slide bite like the PPK's are known for.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Disclaimer--I have only shot a friend's PPK/s once.

I have small hands, and it's the only gun I've ever shot that bit me.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Shoot one first to make sure it's a good fit and it's not a biter. Mine is a biter, thus relegated to safe queen status.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

EW3
    Bersa Thunder 380CC. Based off the PPK. Great little gun. Not a biter. Grips are aftermarket on mine.

"Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Senior Moderator
    I second the Bersa

Of course James Bond carried a PPK
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    Get a Bersa Thunder 380. Half the price of the PPK and shoots like a charm. The Bersa also don't give you slide bite like the PPK's are known for.
    Ditto on the Bersa. Go poke around BersaTalk.com, good info, great folks, and tons of Bersa knowledge. These things are real sleepers (so far), but they're great guns.
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

For the size, weight and cost of the PPK, you could get a 9mm instead.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Well, are you buying a ppk because it's a ppk or because you want a .380? If you are buying it for the cool ppk factor, then obviously a bersa won't do. If you are looking to buy one because you want .380, then go for the Bersa. The cost os less, then gun never bites, it's super reliable, and Bersas are great guns. I love both my Bersa t380s.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

If you're looking at the PPK, they're interesting little guns. Are you looking at a Manurhin (sp?), Interarms or S&W make? I have a S&W in .380 and put on a set of Hogue Kingwood grips. It's a sweet addition to the collection but it's still fairly new and not broken in yet. Right now it feeds ball ammo fine but chokes a bit on DT Gold Dots. I've polished the ramp and chamber so it's better than it was but not perfect yet. I know it needs more rounds fired to smooth things out and I'm considering a more rounded profile ammo like Golden Sabers to see if that solves the feeding issues.

If you're set on a PPK then none of the clones will do. I understand that, I was the same way. Mine's not perfect in functioning (yet) but I'm still glad I bought it and wouldn't sell it off.
    Jack

The Sig P230/232 is my favorite PPK-type gun. The PPK is neat but the P232 just fits in my hand perfectly. Great fun to shoot - just enough recoil to let you know it's not a 22. It did bite my hand the first few times I shot one but it's very easy to avoid if you just grip it slightly lower than you would.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    +1.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

The only reason I can think of is to get a P99 Compact instead
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links