S/A EMP 40S+W in the shop

This is a discussion on S/A EMP 40S+W in the shop within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We took possession of an EMP in 40S+W yesterday. First one into the shop for us. Anyone else been able to find or handle one ...

Thread: S/A EMP 40S+W in the shop

Sponsor

S/A EMP 40S+W in the shop

We took possession of an EMP in 40S+W yesterday. First one into the shop for us.

Anyone else been able to find or handle one since they've been released? Looks to be the same size as it's 9mm brother, but we don't presently have a 9mm EMP to compare it to. It's been listed in the case for 1095.00

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Luke 22:35-38 "Load up boys, cause things are gonna change and it's gonna get rough." Jesus.
    Psalms 46:10 "Chill out. I got this." God.
    "Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."--Jed Babbin

Sponsor
    Looks just like it's 9mm brother. Plenty of pics of those here.

Brownie

Not the .40 S&W version, but I did get to handle the 9mm one and it was love at first sight!

Now if I can just save enough greenbacks to buy one, I'd be in business.
    God bless our troops!

I'm dying to have an EMP in 9mm ! So expensive though.
    Heavily armed.
    Collection: Kahr CW9, M&P 15-22, Walther P22, Glock 19.
    Sold: XD9 4'', Kimber 1911 Series II compact, FNP-9
    Shopping list: Springfield EMP 9mm, M&P 15 .223

I will be taking my new 9MM EMP out to the range in the morning. I have many rounds to run through it.

VIP Member
    Thanks Micky for the pic... that's a purdy pistola!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I own both weapons the 9 mm and the .40 cal. Both guns are the very most top notch one would expect to own. Both are Custom Shop Guns. I have used several different types of ammo in each.. I have settled on the Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo for both.

Let us know how things go. Mine has been just perfect in everyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    I will be taking my new 9MM EMP out to the range in the morning. I have many rounds to run through it.
    I just picked one up at the Harrisburg Gun Show today (What can I say? an early Fathers' Day gift to myself followed me home!).

One problem - I haven't cleaned or shot it yet (just got home!), but I put a few rounds in the mag to cycle it, and it won't eject an unfired round! I can't pull the slide back far enough for the unfired round to eject. At first I had JHPs in the mag. Then I tried it with FMJ - got one out of three to eject.

Could some of the lubricant/protectant it ships with be causing the round in the chamber to stick a little, pulling the barrel back too soon and preventing the bullet tip from clearing the barrel?
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

That Emp Sure Is A Nice Looking Gun. Almost Makes You Not Want To Get It Dirty. Just Kidding.

I have put about 200 rounds through my EMP as of today. With the first two or three magazines there were a couple of rounds that did not feed properly. After that I had no problems with FMJs. Today, it devoured the FMJ ammo, but would fail to feed twice each on three magazines with JHP ammo. Only one full magazine of JHP ammo had no feed problems. I switched to FMJ and had no problems. With the JHP ammo I tried Federal Premium 124 gr Hydra Shok, Speer Gold Dot 124 gr, and Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P Short Barrel hollow point.

It only occurred with the hollow point ammo. I am hoping that this will clear up after I get more rounds through it. It shoots great and I can group very well with it.
    Last edited by Micky; June 14th, 2008 at 08:57 PM.

Went out again late this evening after cleaning and lubricating the EMP. I used Break-Free CLP for lube this time. The EMP ran perfect on 12 mags of JHP. So, I loaded a mag with Gold Dot +P 124 gr short barrel hollow points. Not one problem. That puts me at about 320 rounds now. Hopefully, I will have over 500 rounds through it by the end of the week.

I'm really having a hard time with this gun. I was out in Surprise, AZ at pro guns and they had the EMP in .40. I didn't buy for two reason; One they wanted $1200 for it. Two, neither myself or the two guys behind the counter could release the slide once it was racked and locked back. The thing was stiff. Also, I've never owned any guns that weren’t XD's, and am nervous about buying something with a hammer. The guy that worked there showed me how to de-cock it by pulling the trigger a little then releasing the hammer with your thumb... sounds kind of dangerous for someone who really doesn't have experience with such an animal. In no means am I implying this is the guns fault, just that I'm pretty new to fire arms. I really want to buy one, and if I found one for $1000-$1100 and felt more sure of the safty on my behalf I'd snatch one up!

Sponsor
    The guy that worked there showed me how to de-cock it by pulling the trigger a little then releasing the hammer with your thumb..

You don't "decock" the single action mechanism/firearm. Pulling the trigger while holding the hammer and manually lowering it, you either have to put it at the half cock notch which is not designed to be used as a hammer rest, or lowering it to sit on the firing pin [ very dangerous with a round in the chamber.

Why would anyone show you how to "decock" a single action to begin with is beyond me. Even well versed single action folks don't "decock" their guns like that

The recoil spring is stiff for a reason. The firearm is chambered for a high pressure caliber, if the spring is not stiff, the frame will take a battering every time it's fired, until the frame likely cracks. That combined with the size of the gun and the length of throw on the slide dictates it needs to be slowed quickly, hence a heavy recoil spring.

Brownie

Links