What revolver is this (pic heavy)

This is a discussion on What revolver is this (pic heavy) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not a revolver guy, so I wanted my friends on DC to tell me what this is. A family member (on the other side ...

Thread: What revolver is this (pic heavy)

What revolver is this (pic heavy)

I'm not a revolver guy, so I wanted my friends on DC to tell me what this is.
    A family member (on the other side of the tree) got caught listening to some uncool music and his mother is voiding the house of all dangerous items.
    In the meantime I may have a new toy to play with.
    This is how it was delivered , next is a bath.
    Plus is it anygood?
    Thanks guy's.

GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2. Remove Ads

It appears to be an Italian EIG Chief's Special in .38 Special. EIG Cutlery imported guns and knives made overseas (I think from Japan and Italy) in the 1950s and 60s. I believe they are out of business now. EIG doesn't stand for anything, it was the upper case version of the name of the owner, Saul Eig.

New Page 0

Lot 1128: ***Italian EIG Double Action Revolver - Featured on Artfact.com

Hope this helps.

RedKnightt

Zombie Squad has it right: "We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything."

EIG is also known as EIG Cutlery, they imported firearms from Japan, Italy,Germany, and Spain during the 50's and 60's.

(looks like Red beat me to the answer)
    Last edited by Moondo; June 13th, 2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: hunt and peck typist

It has Italy on the side. Did they make the pistol or have it subbed out?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

EIG was the importer and wholesaler only, I think, and not the actual manufacturer. After World War II smashed Europe and Japan, part of the Marshall plan was to create industry and get economies back up out of the dirt. Since we're Americans, we helped set up factories that made guns . The factories may not have even had any brand names, other than "Gerhardt's Pistol Factory". American companies then imported these guns (along with many other newly manufactured items), branded them (in this case with the EIG logo), and sold them. This is the origin of many of the low-cost, medium-quality weapons that later became known as "Saturday Night Specials" .

A similar importing setup today would be Springfield's importing of the Croatian gun marketed as the XD series, or Magnum Research's Baby Eagle line (although both of these lines are actually of quality). These weapons are made elsewhere, then imported to the US market, sometimes assembled, sometimes not. From a history or business point of view, it's pretty interesting. From other points of view, I've probably just bored people to sleep .
    RedKnightt

Zombie Squad has it right: "We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything."

Thanks Redknightt

Internally, I would expect it to be similar to S&W model 10/model 60. That rusted divot below the cylinder release would probably be where the hammer pin should be.

I'd take the grips off and dunk the whole thing in a container of Marvel Mystery Oil. Let it sit a couple of days, scrub the rusty areas with a plastic bristle tooth brush, and clean with brake cleaner, & open it up. Unless someone dickered with it, I would expect it to handle standard .38 Spl. for years to come.

As I have never completely taken down a revolver is there any good links to what to look out 4

Make sure you slap that family member for letting that gun get rusty. Thats child abuse is what that is!!!!
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; June 14th, 2008 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    Thats child abuse is what that is!!!!
    My thoughts exactly
    I think it was unloaded in the bottom of the the closet wrapped in dishrags.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I would think long and hard about taking that thing on a deep sea excursion and coming back lonely. Any clue what it's history is? Where did he get it from? I'm guessing no serial number...

This obviously was in the possession of a juvenile so it is one of those "illegal guns" we keep hearing about, and I would want no parts of it other than to get it returned to it's rightful owner.

Sorry kiddo might have to take the fall for this if he can't finger his supplier.

And I think he may have more problems than music and pop guns.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

No. It was my aunts, It belonged to her father many moons ago.
    There is a S# on the bottom of the but plate.
    I know the gun is clean.
    I was just wondering if will clean up and perform.
    And how hard is it to break down.

Links