Glock 27 issues

Glock 27 issues

This is a discussion on Glock 27 issues within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bought a g27 about a month ago and it has worked flawlessly but i am having issues with muzzle flip. Do you think a compensator ...

Thread: Glock 27 issues

New Member Array licensed to chi's Avatar

Glock 27 issues

Bought a g27 about a month ago and it has worked flawlessly but i am having issues with muzzle flip. Do you think a compensator or maybe putting in a .357 barrel will help? I am to the point of trading it in on something else.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    The .40 is snappy to say the least of it. The .357 SIG is just as snappy if not more so. Get used to the feel or find a different caliber.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Personally, I only buy guns that I have shoot first... I had made a couple of purchases that I regretted later... it was only until I purchased my Glock's that I had shoot them all before buying.... Sorry!!!

I love the Glock 26, and knew that my Glock 23c was a great purchase, but could not see myself shooting the Glock 27. You might want to buy a 9mm conversion barrel made for the 27.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

the 27 was really built for concealment/back up/etc. a compensator will probably alter the pistol so that its purpose is defeated.

Not really knowing anything else on how you shoot, have you tried modifying your grip/pistol hold? different loads/bullet weights? I used to have an issue shooting .357 revolvers- as in poor accuracy with the recoil. I have changed my grip and made all the difference. yup, I still feel the healthy recoil but I group much better.

with the muzzle flip, can you still shoot accurately? if so, why worry then?

finally, I have not looked for them in the G27 but there are glock .40 to 9 mm conversion barrells (like storm lake). maybe you can convert the barrell to shoot 9 mm and just used 9 mm mags. 100 - 125 bucks in the web.

hope this helps.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

New Member Array licensed to chi's Avatar
    Well, the 1st trigger pull is dead on and if i take my time between trigger pulls i stay on target. With rapid trigger pull i am all over the place. I have a bretta 9mm and i can rapid fire and stay accurate so i know its not my grip. Plus i am shooting low grain target rounds in the g27. I guess a future trade in in order.

VIP Member
    I have a ported barrel I picked up just to see for myself what it would do for my 27... well, it sticks out past the slide and makes it look pretty cool!

I don't think it does a thing for the "flip".
    Last edited by Thumper; June 13th, 2008 at 08:17 PM.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

whw
    My only recommendation would be to add a grip extension on the magazine. It will give you a place to rest your little finger, and that will provide some additional control.

good luck,

whw

You might try a Glock 26. Less recoil, and shares the same caliber ammo as your Beretta. Simple is good, and 9mm practice ammo is still (relatively) cheap.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

VIP Member
    I added the magazine floorplate extension (GAP) on mine. The little floorplate makes a big difference in securing your grip so it tames the flip. (I didn't mean to create a jingle, but I'll let it stay. )
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

That was the reason I went with the Glock 26 instead of the 27. I had owned the 23 and found that it too had snappy recoil, so I knew that the 27 was not for me.

You might try a 9mm barrel and magazine for practicing, and keep your original .40 barrel and magazine for light practice and for carrying.
    God bless our troops!

My G27 used to be my primary carry, that is until I discovered the G19 and my ability to conceal it very well. I believe larger is better, even for a small decline in capacity. The 40 S&W does have a totally different way of conveying recoil to the end user--there's no doubt. Even in my full size G22 which came way before I ever looked at actual concealed carry options and the small G27, I realized this fact. The G22 and G27 are both harder on my trigger finger than anything else I've ever had or currently have. I practice with everything I have as often as feasible. With the Glock, and it's design, I have gone to placing my weak hand index finger on the front strap of the trigger guard while shooting in order to mitigate the snappy acting 40 cal. I'm not sure how the 40 would work for me in another make of pistol in the same size, but I love my Glocks, and they work well for me. I guess there always comes a point in time when one makes the decision to stick with something, or figure out it's not for them. In closing I would say the 40 S&W in a polymer frame would more than likely be a bit more uncomfortable to shoot than a somewhat equal pistol that is all steel or some sort of metal alloy. While practice with the G27 may wear you down, remember that in a defensive situation you likely won't be firing a hundred rounds. If it shoots well for you then deal with the cons as the pros may well hang your life in the balance.

I owned a 27 and later replaced it with a 26 which I shoot with much more confidence...shot placement is what it's all about, and the 26 helps me get more shots where I want them and much faster.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I have a 27 and really like it. Be sure you get a HIGH grip on the gun when you shoot to help absorb recoil. Mag extensions may help a little. The caliber is a hot one but I take comfort in knowing that what I hit is gonna get broke - bad.

Administrator
    You could switch out the guide rod for a heavy Tungsten guide rod which will add a bit of recoil dampening weight out front.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It is a snappy little gun. The best advice is to get used to it or get rid of it. Mine is controlled by GAP floor plates which are IMO the best sub compact Glock add-on ever made and a good roll over wrist lock with thumbs forward.

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Sponsored Links