Picked up my new 340 M&P 357 today!!

This is a discussion on Picked up my new 340 M&P 357 today!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wish my 642 had a pinned on front sight,That is about the only advantage I can see you are gaining for the additional $300!...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picked up my new 340 M&P 357 today!!

I wish my 642 had a pinned on front sight,That is about the only advantage I can see you are gaining for the additional $300!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DistantHorizon View Post
    What on earth are you talking about?
    As I was handling the S&W .357 at the gun shop I frequent, the armorer was showing me how the top strap, the metal frame part that goes from handle to across the top of the cylinder and connects and surrounds the barrel just ahead of the cylinder is removeable and the barrel can be removed and replaced. Apparently this isnt something you can do with all revolvers? I dont know myself, I just know what he physically showed me.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I'll never fiorget the time I bout a S&W 629 44 magnum w/4" barrel paid 350.00 NIB and bought some 240 grn JHP,the first shot i drilled the bullseye and the next 5 after I at least kept them on the paper,I bought some 44 special after that
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You'll love this gun. Just practice with mild .38's and you can shoot a box of 50 without any serious discomfort. Carry and occasionly fire some .38+P personal defense ammo and you'll be fine. I shoot a few .357's in my 340 once in a while. It is fierce but a cylinder full won't hurt too bad.
    The one item that is worth every penny if you carry a snubbie is a set of Crimson Trace laser grips. They add no weight or bulk to the gun but will increase your accuracy and speed with this small frame, short barreled gun.

I just picked up an M&P 340 last week. At 13 ounces I was very leery of shooting .357 Mag. loads in it. (The Hoag grips are a tad small for my hand).
    My range trip started with some light, .38 Spec. SWC loads I'd put together. No sweat. All grouped very well and the pistol was very easy to control. The next 'test' was with Cor-Bon, .38 +P. Again --- a fair grouping at 25 feet and not any 'pain' with recoil. Following several rounds of +P, I took a deep breath and loaded up 5 rounds of Win. 110 gr., .357 Mag. 'Self Defense' ammo.
    I was pleasently relieved that my hand didn't separate from my wrist!!! It 'stung' a bit but I didn't lose consciousness. In fact --- I put another 5 rounds down range after that!! ( I wouldn't want to practice with .357 loads but a couple of cylinders full at the end of the session isn't too bad!)
    I really love this little revolver!! A real good 'hidey gun' with a punch!!!
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

nice gun purchase,,,enjoy,,
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Yeah, i'm out of town this week, but as soon as I get back Thursday noonish..off to the range I go with my new 340 to shoot a variety of loads..I'm anxious..
    I don't try anything...I just do it!

I am considering one myself. $800 for the one I looked at. Thats a bit high for my wallet at the moment.
    That's a bit high, period! Here's one from a shop near me for $579. https://shop.vanceoutdoors.com/16307...l-p-16121.html

They sell them WITH Crimson Trace for $750, but they appear to be out of stock right now.

I have the 340, and added CT grips myself (LG405s) and love it. I carry Speer Gold Dot .357s made for the short barrel. They have less recoil, less flash, and the bullet is designed to expand at the slower velocity.

In my opinion, the gun is fun to shoot with 38s, stings with +Ps, and downright smarts with 357s. However, I find most of the pain to be the next day (or three, or four ;)). In the middle of shooting I find it easy to control, and sufficiently easy to follow up. I don't think rapid fire is the right mindset if you are going to rely on a 5-shot revolver, anyway!

Good luck!

Nice gun! I shoot .357's through mine quite frequently.

I practice with MagTech .357 Mag 158gr SJSP Flat
    Product Search Results

and carry MagTech Guardian Gold .357 Mag 125gr JHPs
    Product Search Results

I usually shoot between 50 and 100 practice rounds a week

When I first bought the gun, 5-10 .357's was about all I could handle in one sitting. Now they're not really a big deal. It's definitely fun to take friends to the range and win bets on how many rounds they can shoot tho

;)

Quote Originally Posted by FranklyTodd View Post
    That's a bit high, period! Here's one from a shop near me for $579. https://shop.vanceoutdoors.com/16307...l-p-16121.html

They sell them WITH Crimson Trace for $750, but they appear to be out of stock right now.

I have the 340, and added CT grips myself (LG405s) and love it. I carry Speer Gold Dot .357s made for the short barrel. They have less recoil, less flash, and the bullet is designed to expand at the slower velocity.

In my opinion, the gun is fun to shoot with 38s, stings with +Ps, and downright smarts with 357s. However, I find most of the pain to be the next day (or three, or four ;)). In the middle of shooting I find it easy to control, and sufficiently easy to follow up. I don't think rapid fire is the right mindset if you are going to rely on a 5-shot revolver, anyway!

Good luck!
    Yeah, I got kinda in a rush to buy it, and didn't shop it. One dealer close to my job had it for $100.00 cheaper and I never even thought of asking them. Chalk it up for experience. Good thing I'm making TONS of cash right now..or else I might consider taking it back to get a refund...I guess I can take that G23C price and counter balance it. I bought that for around $429.00 around two months ago, and it shouldve been somewhere around $550. according to the guy that sold it to me. But he committed to the price and stuck with it. So it balances out I guess. Either way, I'm happy with my purchase and can't wait to shoot it.

Sorry - I didn't mean to rub it in, I thought you were still in "shop" mode. It is a fantastic gun!

I just added a Sig P239 to the arsenal today, and if it makes you feel better, I WAY overpaid...

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Im not a big revolver guy but I want that one
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Quote Originally Posted by FranklyTodd View Post
    Sorry - I didn't mean to rub it in, I thought you were still in "shop" mode. It is a fantastic gun!

I just added a Sig P239 to the arsenal today, and if it makes you feel better, I WAY overpaid...
    Not a biggie..and didn't take it that way..I am going to the range tonight..can't wait..

M38
    I love my 340PD!

Desperado: I don't know if this applies to the M&P but my 340PD has a restriction to not shoot bullet weights less than 120gr's. It is printed on my barrel. Thought I'd mention it.

This and my Glock 27 are probably my favorite two pistols.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links