Picked up my new 340 M&P 357 today!!

This is a discussion on Picked up my new 340 M&P 357 today!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PShooter Desperado: I don't know if this applies to the M&P but my 340PD has a restriction to not shoot bullet weights ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picked up my new 340 M&P 357 today!!

Quote Originally Posted by PShooter View Post
    Desperado: I don't know if this applies to the M&P but my 340PD has a restriction to not shoot bullet weights less than 120gr's. It is printed on my barrel. Thought I'd mention it.

This and my Glock 27 are probably my favorite two pistols.
    The PD is Scandium and Titanium Cylinder, the M&P is Scandium and Stainless Steel Cylinder. Maybe that's the difference...

I shot this bad boy finally today..WOW..I love this GUN!! I shot around 15 38 Specials out of it, then loaded it with some 110 gr CorBon JHP .357. Very nice kick to it...I rather enjoyed shooting those $1.25 bullets downrange...Kinda pricey for practice..but gave me a very good idea of what to expect if I ever have to use it in SD. The 38 specials were a very pleasurable round to shoot..All this fun made my G23C feel like a cap gun..LOL..For some wierd reason, I was dead on balls acurate with my Glock today... So that's my report on this little baby..small package HUGE PUNCH..LOVED IT!!
    Last edited by jaymzo; June 22nd, 2008 at 09:09 AM.
    I don't try anything...I just do it!

2. Remove Ads

Desperado: I don't know if this applies to the M&P but my 340PD has a restriction to not shoot bullet weights less than 120gr's. It is printed on my barrel. Thought I'd mention it.
    PShooter ----- sorry it took so long to respond --- I've been out of town.
    No such restriction on my M&P that I'm aware of. Since you mentioned it, I'll check very closely to be certain.
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

That is a bonus for the M&P owners, having no restrictions on the bullet weight.

If you plan on shootin lots of 357mags...might be a good idea to get some heavy grips.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    If you plan on shootin lots of 357mags...might be a good idea to get some heavy grips.

Yeah I figured around 20 a week is more than enough, and roughly 50 a week on the 38 specials. I almost shot better with the mag rounds than the 38 Sp. It was fun to watch everyones head turn as I blasted through a full cylinder of 357's.

To quote a friend of mine with a 340 PD which is a little lighter due to a titanium cylinder to the m&p steel cylinder. "You shoot .357 in this thing and it feels like a firecracker going off in your hand." They are a neat idea but I wouldn't want to shoot .357 very often.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    To quote a friend of mine with a 340 PD which is a little lighter due to a titanium cylinder to the m&p steel cylinder. "You shoot .357 in this thing and it feels like a firecracker going off in your hand." They are a neat idea but I wouldn't want to shoot .357 very often.
    The M&P isn't quite as bad as the PD...it's actually tolerable. But you're right..not a wise choice to shoot .357 all the time, that's why only 20 rounds every week or so, and around 50 specials also. Plus the price of the mags would kill you anyway..

I have a 340 sc and love it I shhot 25 full house .357 every time I go to the range. It is my most carried gun.

Distinguished Member
    S&W still recommends shooting 4 rounds and checking the 5th for bullet pull.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymzo View Post
    The PD is Scandium and Titanium Cylinder, the M&P is Scandium and Stainless Steel Cylinder. Maybe that's the difference...

I shot this bad boy finally today..WOW..I love this GUN!! I shot around 15 38 Specials out of it, then loaded it with some 110 gr CorBon JHP .357. Very nice kick to it...I rather enjoyed shooting those $1.25 bullets downrange...Kinda pricey for practice..but gave me a very good idea of what to expect if I ever have to use it in SD. The 38 specials were a very pleasurable round to shoot..All this fun made my G23C feel like a cap gun..LOL..For some wierd reason, I was dead on balls acurate with my Glock today... So that's my report on this little baby..small package HUGE PUNCH..LOVED IT!!
    I have owned a 340 PD for a few months now. Have shot over 700 rounds 38 special, and about 100 full .357 magnum (158 g).
    Yes it hurts at first shooting the magnum loads but you get used to it.

I also found that I could shoot my Glock 36 with MUCH better accuracy after shooting the 340. I think it helps to strengthen my grip!

Yeah...I really love carrying this gun around. I forget its in my pocket most of the time..and now that I have the MTAC for my G23 I forget that's there..been pretty easy and getting used to the carry holsters has been a real treat..It's amazing when you have good equipment..and still waiting on my Sharkskinned Rafter S belt..but that will make a ******* difference..

Distinguished Member
    You will be waiting a long time for that Rafer S. and I bet it gets shipped ever friday when you call , so don't look look to hard for it. I have ordered 2 from them and was told 4 weeks , the first took 9 weeks and the second has been over 10 weeks.

The 340 was my first handgun purchase. I put the larger rubber Crimson Trace grips on it. I can shoot .38 all day w/ it. I have never shot more than 5 rounds of .357 in a day. I got some good bruising a couple of times. BUT, I imagine that the bruising would be a good tradeoff in a tactical situation.

Also, The fact that this was my first hangun makes the recoil of every other gun I buy seem negligable.

It is very light and comfortable to carry. Great gun.

Quote Originally Posted by kimberland View Post
    The 340 was my first handgun purchase. I put the larger rubber Crimson Trace grips on it. I can shoot .38 all day w/ it. I have never shot more than 5 rounds of .357 in a day. I got some good bruising a couple of times. BUT, I imagine that the bruising would be a good tradeoff in a tactical situation.

Also, The fact that this was my first hangun makes the recoil of every other gun I buy seem negligable.

It is very light and comfortable to carry. Great gun.
    My father has a 340PD with Crimson Trace grips. I find the recoil just ridicuouls wit full-power .357 loads. I cannot see how that much recoil would ever be beneficial in a SD situation. Multiple hits in the cardio-thoacic cavity is your best bet for stopping a threat and while these are extremely light and concealable guns, the extreme recoil makes that a tough chore.

These guns are best suited for veteran shooters who practice a lot and have mastered handgun basics. In my opinion, there are far too many dealers convincing people these make great first guns. On the other hand, if you can master shooting one of these you can shoot anything. Nice gun BTW, and despite my ranting I am sure one will be in my future (loaded with .38+P), Congrats!

Full power 357 are awfully fun to shoot though. I keep them in my Taurus 605. Try shooting them around dusk and you get to watch a 10 inch flame come out or the barrel. If you don't hit the guy, you'll at the very least singe his eyebrows.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links