Defensive Carry banner

New KelTec in the house...a PF-9

4K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  wht06rado 
#1 ·
I simply wont carry a gun, primary or BUG, in a caliber smaller than a 9mm. I have several "large" pocket pistols and a pocket revolver in 9mm, .357mag & 45acp that I carry from time to time. One gun I have carried for over 3 years and put over 2000 painful rounds through is my Kel-Tec P-11. Every time I take this gun to the range, the Jim Swazey statement "Takes a likkin' and just keeps on tikkin", epitomizes the experience. I have only found one brand of ammo it does not like and that is the Blazer ammo. While it is a great little gun I wanted something a bit lighter and smaller to carry in my dress pants, walking shorts and other types of clothing. I have been reading about the pros and cons of the PF-9 and so I decided, for myself, to see if Kel-Tec had another winner in the PF-9.

The first thing I noticed, obviously was the difference in width, but there was a definate difference in its weight with 3 less rounds. The width difference actually gives a perception of a greater weight difference than is really there. The trigger pull really sold me. Even doing everything I could to the P-11's trigger, the PF-9 blew it away right out of the box. I hope to get it to the range this Father's Day weekend to see how it shoots and hope to have that range report back here by first of next week. I hope it likes my favorite 9mm load, Federal HydraShok 124gr JHP. Coming soon...the rest of the story!

See less See more
#7 ·
KT's bluing sucks on all their guns.
I treated the slide on mine with wheeler's Cerama-Coat, and other than pocket-lint and sweat (Central Texas, everything gets soaked in sweat if you live/work outside), I've had no problems. I did the same to my 1911, and haven't had any issues of rust or worn finish since (couple-a years now). Obviously not for use on an investment or collector gun, but for a carry gun I can't imagine anything better suited. Even dropping it on the concrete (ouch!!) didn't seem to chip the finish. I use the flat black; turned out to be a nearly perfect match for the polymer frame of my PF-9. Of course, I had to "pimp it up" just a little after that, so I polished all the exposed steel parts to a mirror finish. Turned out so well that a local gunstore owner tried to trade me out of it.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.

#9 ·
I just bought a used P11 and have to send it in for trigger work,the trigger won't reset most of the time unless i pull it to the rear and let it snap forward,it feeds and ejects everything i put in it but til the trigger gets fixed no carry

#13 ·
For front pocket carry, I like the Grandfather Oak kydex. Much better solution than the DeSantis I was using previously.

Only issue with my vintage of PF-9 has been the ejector pin drifting a bit after 200-300 rounds. I moved it back in place & since then just made sure it hasn't changed position when doing normal cleaning.

Nick

#18 ·
Well I finally got it to the range. I took along my P-11 for comparison. It has a much better trigger than the P-11, but is nowhere near as accurate. This target is shot from 15yards free hand using a weaver stance. No function problems at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.