New KelTec in the house...a PF-9

This is a discussion on New KelTec in the house...a PF-9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I simply wont carry a gun, primary or BUG, in a caliber smaller than a 9mm. I have several "large" pocket pistols and a pocket ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New KelTec in the house...a PF-9

New KelTec in the house...a PF-9

I simply wont carry a gun, primary or BUG, in a caliber smaller than a 9mm. I have several "large" pocket pistols and a pocket revolver in 9mm, .357mag & 45acp that I carry from time to time. One gun I have carried for over 3 years and put over 2000 painful rounds through is my Kel-Tec P-11. Every time I take this gun to the range, the Jim Swazey statement "Takes a likkin' and just keeps on tikkin", epitomizes the experience. I have only found one brand of ammo it does not like and that is the Blazer ammo. While it is a great little gun I wanted something a bit lighter and smaller to carry in my dress pants, walking shorts and other types of clothing. I have been reading about the pros and cons of the PF-9 and so I decided, for myself, to see if Kel-Tec had another winner in the PF-9.

The first thing I noticed, obviously was the difference in width, but there was a definate difference in its weight with 3 less rounds. The width difference actually gives a perception of a greater weight difference than is really there. The trigger pull really sold me. Even doing everything I could to the P-11's trigger, the PF-9 blew it away right out of the box. I hope to get it to the range this Father's Day weekend to see how it shoots and hope to have that range report back here by first of next week. I hope it likes my favorite 9mm load, Federal HydraShok 124gr JHP. Coming soon...the rest of the story!
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

2. Remove Ads

-JT

Keep us posted, and show us a pic of your new pistol next time too.
    God bless our troops!

Here's a pic of mine after I moly resin'd the slide. KT's bluing sucks on all their guns.

JD
    Administrator
    Well, if we're going to post graphics regarding pics...

Front pocket carry...in, say, a Mika pocket holster?
    It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. Thatís what itís all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    KT's bluing sucks on all their guns.
    I treated the slide on mine with wheeler's Cerama-Coat, and other than pocket-lint and sweat (Central Texas, everything gets soaked in sweat if you live/work outside), I've had no problems. I did the same to my 1911, and haven't had any issues of rust or worn finish since (couple-a years now). Obviously not for use on an investment or collector gun, but for a carry gun I can't imagine anything better suited. Even dropping it on the concrete (ouch!!) didn't seem to chip the finish. I use the flat black; turned out to be a nearly perfect match for the polymer frame of my PF-9. Of course, I had to "pimp it up" just a little after that, so I polished all the exposed steel parts to a mirror finish. Turned out so well that a local gunstore owner tried to trade me out of it.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post
    I treated the slide on mine with wheeler's Cerama-Coat, and other than pocket-lint and sweat (Central Texas, everything gets soaked in sweat if you live/work outside), I've had no problems. I did the same to my 1911, and haven't had any issues of rust or worn finish since (couple-a years now). Obviously not for use on an investment or collector gun, but for a carry gun I can't imagine anything better suited. Even dropping it on the concrete (ouch!!) didn't seem to chip the finish. I use the flat black; turned out to be a nearly perfect match for the polymer frame of my PF-9. Of course, I had to "pimp it up" just a little after that, so I polished all the exposed steel parts to a mirror finish. Turned out so well that a local gunstore owner tried to trade me out of it.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Pics?

I'm looking into getting a PF-9 :D

I just bought a used P11 and have to send it in for trigger work,the trigger won't reset most of the time unless i pull it to the rear and let it snap forward,it feeds and ejects everything i put in it but til the trigger gets fixed no carry
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Break out the camera
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post
    I treated the slide on mine with wheeler's Cerama-Coat.
    Where did you purchase the Cerama Coat? Did you have to anything special to prep the frame before applying?

I really like my PF9. Here is some hard chrome pics.

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

For front pocket carry, I like the Grandfather Oak kydex. Much better solution than the DeSantis I was using previously.

Only issue with my vintage of PF-9 has been the ejector pin drifting a bit after 200-300 rounds. I moved it back in place & since then just made sure it hasn't changed position when doing normal cleaning.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    Pics?

I'm looking into getting a PF-9 :D
    I'll see if my kids will take/load a couple (everything is theirs, except my clothes and my guns, which they've already divided up among themselves - something about parenting, I guess.) I don't know when, though.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixgunner View Post
    Where did you purchase the Cerama Coat? Did you have to anything special to prep the frame before applying?
    A friend ordered it online (Midway, I think); the agreement was that I treat his gun for him, and the rest was mine.
    I cleaned the parts with hot soapy water and a brush to get all the oil and grease off, then dried them with a hair dryer. I then soaked and scrubbed them down with alchohol (lacquer thinner) to remove any soap residue; same procedure, but with latex gloves to keep skin oil off. At this point, I also attatched wires to handle them with. Then I washed them once more with acetone and a small paint brush (handling the wires only), "just in case," then I painted them and hung them in the oven to cure as per the instructions. The smell doesn't linger too long, plus my wife is tolerant (I love my wife!) of my "silly games," and that's all there is to it. Check your oven's temperature to make sure it's fairly accurate (or that you know how much to compensate). If the temp is too low, it won't fully harden, thus will wear; if too high, it will "burn" as it cures, and the color won't be the right. It's just that simple: Clean, spray, dry, bake, abuse. Great stuff. The curing temperature is low enough it won't affect the temper of any steel springs, but I did a complete disassembly, anyways. (FWIW - I do blacksmithing/bladesmithing on the side sometimes, so I really do know about temps/steel.)
    I have two more cans right now, and another friend's guns stacked with mine in the safe waiting to be treated. When I finish with his the left-overs will do more of my guns
    MNBurl: I wouldn't do the hard-chromed slide unless I had to go "tactical;" it looks too nice already.

Stay Safe,

Chuck Brick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links