Strange day at the range.

This is a discussion on Strange day at the range. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got back home from a quickie range trip. I took my S&W 642 J-frame (primary carry gun) and my 2-1/2" S&W M66 K-frame ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange day at the range.

Strange day at the range.

I just got back home from a quickie range trip. I took my S&W 642 J-frame (primary carry gun) and my 2-1/2" S&W M66 K-frame (.357mag "bedroom gun"). Only shot 50 rounds of .38sp. FMJ one cylinder of 125gr. +P carry loads in each gun and 6 rounds of Fed. 125gr. .357mag in the 66.

The strange part? I actually shot the J-frame better, MUCH better, than I did the K-frame. I just don't get it! I mean, it's good that I can shoot my primary carry well, I'm happy about that but shooting a DAO snubby w/boot grips better than a K-frame in single action??? It seems bass ackwards to me. Looks like I won't be switching my carry guns around after all.

All shots with the M66 were on the target and would've definitely ruined a BG's weekend but about 3 or 4 inches left of "X" at 21'. The little J-frame was putting all shots either in the red or touching it. I don't think it's that I practice more with the 642, today was only my third range trip with it. I've owned the 66 for several years now
    I'm so confused!
    Jack

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Jack,

It may be confusing, but it's positive confusion! Shooting better is good. Strange things happen when we shoot. Some days we can't miss; some days, well, let's just say aren't as good as other days.

Your experience isn't uncommon. I, and I know of others, that have experienced the same thing and similar things. One theory is that with a "disadvantaged" gun, we may focus more and make more effort and with the bigger, better, etc. gun we may take it for granted a bit and relax our effort a bit too much.

I remember once comparing a Glock 17, a Sig 229, a 1911, Sig 226, a Glock 19, and something else I don't remember. I fully expected the best results with the 1911, the 226 and Glock 17. I got the best performance from the Sig 229; it just out shot them all. And this was shots at 75 yards; the longer guns should have been better performers.

I've also compared my 1911 commander size and full size 1911. I got a noticeably better performance out of the shorter commander size.

I've noticed that I can shoot my Sig 220 in DA mode better than I can in SA.

Hmmm, now I'm confused, too.

I did check out the gun cases before I left, the Sigs are always tempting and that 220 looked really nice. I've toyed with the idea of a 245 from time to time and the 229's grip feels like it was made just for me ... maybe someday! They've got a great selection of 1911s: Colt, SA, Kimber, CD, even Nighthawks (WAY outta my price range). To be honest, I was even checking out the combat Tupperware! But what really caught my eye was a 3" S&W M60 in .357mag., especially after today's outcome.

I'm still waiting on SSA to approve my disability claim, as soon as they do that shop owner's gonna LOVE me!
    Jack

Administrator

Good News ~ Strange But, Good.

Meanwhile it is AMAZING what a Butter Smooth D.A. Trigger & Action Job can be done on the S&W J-Frame Model 642.
    Something to think about if you don't yet have the perfect trigger pull on your Carry Revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Meanwhile it is AMAZING what a Butter Smooth D.A. Trigger & Action Job can be done on the S&W J-Frame Model 642.
    Something to think about if you don't yet have the perfect trigger pull on your Carry Revolver.
    Who done your work, and how much did it run ? I carry a 637 S&W
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I've heard it's possible to smooth out the action on these quite a bit, it's something to keep in mind. To be honest, it'd be nice to have a touch more smoothness but it's not bad at all as it is. I don't think I'd want the trigger weight lightened any though. I'll second the request for price info too!

I found the 60s (a snubby and a 3") because I was trying to check their price on a 640. They didn't have one but I figure that 3" barrel should give a bit more muzzle velocity and help tame the magnum recoil. And then there's those Sigs to consider, I'm gonna have to put some serious thought into a 220 or 245. I like the 229 but I'd rather stick with .45ACP ... then maybe a 10mm .
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    Jack - sometimes this happens. I reckon at combat ranges i could shoot my SP-101 (sorta J frame!) almost as good as M66 - but that said - the 66 does have a sweeter trigger and SA does feel an easier shooter - my wife sure loves that gun.

Much has to do with the individual I think - and how a given gun fits and feels. I know on occasions there are guys hittin' milk jugs at 100 yds with snubs!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

BlueLion

MagNaport International did my first/last Double Action Job.
    That was a while ago. Their prices have really gone up.
    Since then I've done my own.
    You can actually honestly do it yourself.
    And WITHOUT any great expense in tools (or required talent) at all.
    Just a few fine ceramic stones available from Brownell's.
    And one "extra fine cut" jewelers file to lightly "break" a few hard edges & some 1500 & 1000 grit 3M Wet Or Dry paper.
    You absolutely cannot mess the job up.
    Let me know if want instructions & I can scan them to the forum (as a thread) but, I'll need a few days to turn up the book.
    By The Way:
    The Double Action Only Smiths will always have a slightly smoother DA Pull than SA/DA Smiths because they are missing the SA hammer cock notch.

MagNaPort International Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    MagNaport International did my first/last Double Action Job.
    That was a while ago. Their prices have really gone up.
    Since then I've done my own.
    You can actually honestly do it yourself.
    And WITHOUT any great expense in tools (or required talent) at all.
    Just a few fine ceramic stones available from Brownell's.
    And one "extra fine cut" jewelers file to lightly "break" a few hard edges & some 1500 & 1000 grit 3M Wet Or Dry paper.
    You absolutely cannot mess the job up.
    Let me know if want instructions & I can scan them to the forum (as a thread) but, I'll need a few days to turn up the book.
    By The Way:
    The Double Action Only Smiths will always have a slightly smoother DA Pull than SA/DA Smiths because they are missing the SA hammer cock notch.

MagNaPort International Click Here
    I'd be most interested/appreciative. I've been wondering if I shouldn't slick up my 642 a little bit and I just haven't been able to justify the expense to myself.

Administrator

Thumbs up I Sure Will Do It Then.

Look for it this coming Monday.
    I know that I'll be able to get it together by then.
    I'm stuck home this weekend.

Awesome.

I know a lot of guns can be greatly improved if you just know which two surfaces to slick up a little or which spring/sear/kajigger to replace.

I'm just trying to make the trigger a little smoother in its travel... trigger control is difficult to accomplish for me because it takes such a deliberate effort. It's not the weight of the trigger that bothers me, it's that there's no middle ground.

QK, I'd very much appreciate those instructions myself, definitely something I'm willing to try.

Hey Euc: Do you know Brownell's part # for the "kajigger?" I've been looking everywhere for one!
    Okay, time to go clean those guns. I love the smell of Hoppe's in the morning, it smells like ... teen spirit. No wait, that's something else.
    Jack

VIP Member
    Kajigger. I learned a new word today. I prefer doohickey or thingamabob, but kajigger will work, too.

Revolvers with a barrel length under 4" seem to point naturally for me. I shoot my S&W 66 better than my S&W 640, but my 640 has a crusty, stiff trigger and the 66 has a sweet trigger job from Clark Custom. For serious target shooting, I stick to single action, which I can't do with either. (The 66 had been converted to DAO and had the trigger job before I bought it; the previous owner was going to bob the hammer and use it for CC.) If I want to do some target shooting, I'll pull out my 6" 686+.

What range do you go to, Jack? (The Fairgrounds gun show is this weekend!)
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Kajigger. I learned a new word today. I prefer doohickey or thingamabob, but kajigger will work, too.

What range do you go to, Jack? (The Fairgrounds gun show is this weekend!)

I've been going to Guns & Leather in Greenbriar. It's almost a 40 mile drive for me but well worth it. The indoor range in great, the folks who run it are friendly and their gun selection and prices are the best I've found in this area.

Thanks for the heads up on Goodman's show. My wife's going to the early bird sale at Hecht's tomorrow so I may sneak up there and buy a kajigger or two ... sorry Euc, had too! Actually, I want to find those 135 +P Gold Dots and maybe some wood grips.
    Jack

VIP Member
    I've been to Guns & Leather once - they seem to have a nice shop. I recall the news story where a thief was shot trying to steal guns. I didn't hear much more about if after that - I hope the employee fared well in the aftermath.

I'll probably be at the show on Sunday to try to find some Christmas presents. I like the grip guy by the entrance - I bought some nice ironwood grips for my 640 and Mustang from him.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links