Ported XD

This is a discussion on Ported XD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have found my first flaw with this gun. The front sight slowly gets covered with carbon from the ports so it needs to be ...

Thread: Ported XD

Ported XD

I have found my first flaw with this gun. The front sight slowly gets covered with carbon from the ports so it needs to be cleaned after about 500 rounds or so. Minor issue, still think the gun is of solid quality.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

Yes that is a problem with ported guns .. Shooting lead though one really covers the front sight

Assistant Administrator
    I am not a fan of porting but - hey if 500 rounds between sight cleans I reckon that's well acceptable.

With XD I'd be more concerned over corrosion - with me anyways as I sweat badly.!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I would never carry a ported gun for defense. If you have to shoot from a position of "retention" or say a speed rock from the hip you're going to get a faceful of particulate matter that is going to be white hot and potentially damaging to your eyes.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

FLM
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I would never carry a ported gun for defense. If you have to shoot from a position of "retention" or say a speed rock from the hip you're going to get a faceful of particulate matter that is going to be white hot and potentially damaging to your eyes.
    That just isn't true. I have a ported S&W m66 and I've fired it from the hip often. The only way that could happen would be if you held the gun directly under your face.

Cool Retention stance

Quote Originally Posted by FLM
    That just isn't true. I have a ported S&W m66 and I've fired it from the hip often. The only way that could happen would be if you held the gun directly under your face.
    CLASSIC retention stance is weapon clasped close to your pectoral muscles, elbows tight to the side and slightly canted to the off side just a bit to insure clean (not in your face) extraction. That's how we train. Imagine a classic isoceles except contracted directly to the rear and close to your chest about 8-10 inches under your chin. If somebody tries a grab at that position, it's a simple matter to twist the upper body away from the direction of the grab and at the same time use that leading elbow most effectively to dislodge the attacker!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    I would imagine the amount of gas from the ports directed at the shooter may vary depending on grip, stance and the ports themselves. I would not carry a ported gun either, due to possible gas /particle in the face problems , night firing and possible increased flash .

Talking Hadn't thought of that.....

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    night firing and possible increased flash .
    That's another serious problem. The flash from the ports will almost guarantee you lose your front sight and your night vision....which won't return for a minimum of 30 minutes....at least that's what I learned at the Infantry Officer Basic Course so long ago....

Lead Moderator
    Also a consideration, less so but still. Heat from the ports may obscure your sight picture if ya rapid fire , then look down the sights.

FLM
    You're correct that it's not a night gun. I've never fired mine holding it 8-10 inches from my face so I can't comment on that. The magna-porting made it a much better shooting gun in most shooting situations so I guess it's an individual choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag
    I have found my first flaw with this gun. The front sight slowly gets covered with carbon from the ports so it needs to be cleaned after about 500 rounds or so. Minor issue, still think the gun is of solid quality.
    I've found this issue with every gun that I've had ported......but it's NO issue for me to clean em up after I shoot em. And have that ported for the quick 2-3 shot needed
    The ported guns sell well at the store. Just a bit of observation on my part

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    My $.02.------ Why is a ported weapon ported ?? Rifle = to cut down on muzz. rise and to reduce recoil. Pistol = 'bout the same. If you feel that you need a ported weapon,maybe you need to step down a level or two in power.I have a few students that come through my course with a ported weapon. During our night firing exercise, even the quiet,shy type,usually come out with something like, "HOLY _hit" !! I had one little Asian girl come out with a very loud "MF" !! (Much to her OWN amazement) We always shoot a half hour after sunset so it's not completely dark yet. To me it's equivelent to a darkened house with one or two night lights on. Not only can you see how the blast light's up everything but you can plainly see where the blast is directed. This drill makes the students aware of the burning gases that are expelled from a firearm. I reccommend to the students NOT to carry a ported weapon for CC. Although I'm no authority on the topic. I tell them that if you feel that you need a ported weapon --- maybe all you need to do is step down a notch in power. To shoot well all they have to do is say, step down to a mild .38 special load vs. a +P load. In 9mm some of the subsonic loads are great for the step down.(as long as they will cycle the pistol which most of them do) Allot of times the student can keep shootin' the same caliber,just switch to different ergonomics of weapon. I'm a big believer in,carry what you can shoot well. Any CCW is a hellovah lot better than no CCW.--------

Links