Options for an Officer's 1911 in .45

This is a discussion on Options for an Officer's 1911 in .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've always wanted an officer's .45. What I mean by that is a 4" barrel on an officer's frame. I'm having trouble finding what I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Options for an Officer's 1911 in .45

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

I've always wanted an officer's .45. What I mean by that is a 4" barrel on an officer's frame. I'm having trouble finding what I want so I thought I'd ask all of you. Here's what I'm looking for:

-4" barrel; would consider 3" if the gun has a good track record for reliability
    -Blued gun only. Just want blued finish
    -Price as far under $1000 as possible

I intend to use this only for CCW; I have a full size 1911 for range use.

I've looked at the Springfield Micro Bi-tones and like them but worry about reliability and they're only 3". I wish SA would make a simple officer model loaded by they don't.

I've looked at a Colt Mark IV; see them used on different sites once in a blue moon; would consider one if I could find a really good one but would rather buy new if I could

Looked at the Colt New Agent; seems to be reliable for a 3" and I love everything about that gun except the trench site. Now I do think the trench site is probably perfect for dedicated CCW; just not sure if I could get used to it and be satisfied with it. And you can't add sites after the fact with that gun!

Kimber makes an officer's version of their CDP bi-tone but it's pricey and I'm not sure I like the severe melt job on it.

I've also looked at the SA GI micro but it's less than 4" and has a less then stellar track record for reliability.

I can buy custom but that's big bucks, so are there any commerical options out there around the 700 - 900 mark?

Anyway, thanks for any thoughts on what might fit this bill!

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I carry a Colt Officers 45. It has the 3 and a half inch barrel.(technically the measurement is a little over that) It is a fantastic ccw. Very dependable. As a matter of fact I like them so much I have 3. Used they are in the neighborhood of 600 dollars. The blued model is a little cheaper.They are very enjoyable to shoot.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

You are describing a CCO model, essentially an Officer's lower and a Commander upper. Colt has made them in the past. Springfield made the Compact (I have one), Kimber has made them in the past. Sig and Para currently have CCO style offerings.

ranburr

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Looked at the Colt New Agent; seems to be reliable for a 3" and I love everything about that gun except the trench site. Now I do think the trench site is probably perfect for dedicated CCW; just not sure if I could get used to it and be satisfied with it. And you can't add sites after the fact with that gun!
    Buy a Defender, same pistol as the New Agent but with sights.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I did consider the defender long and hard but at the end of the day I just don't like how it looks...Sorry to those of you who have it and love it but there's something about the contrast between the aluminum frame and the slide that I just don't care for.

If you could take the Colt New Agent minus the trench; add sights and extend the barrel an inch it would be PERFECT!

I still don't understand why Springfield doesn't offer this size in their plain loaded series. I have to believe they'd sell them consistently.

Thanks!
    Joe

Look at the sig GSR C3. Kimber makes the Compact models which is what you are describing but they are stainless, and with kimbers you either get a good one or a crappy one and their CS has a lot to be desired.

Adam

JD
    Administrator
    Spend the money and get a Les Baer Stinger.

You asked for "small and efficient" and that's what we've given you! Our new Stinger model is designed specifically for easy carry with our shorter length grip frame (Officer’s style) and our own Commanche top end. It features the utmost in reliability and accuracy in a special package that includes our new 7-round stinger stainless magazine. It's a sure fire winner! Blued model pictured; also available in stainless version. Features include:

• Baer N.M. Stinger frame • Baer Commanche slide with rear serrations • Slide fitted to frame • Baer NM
    barrel with stainless bushing • Low mount combat fixed rear sight • Dovetail front sight • Lowered and flared ejection port • Tuned and polished extractor • Baer extended ejector • Baer checkered slide stop • Baer speed trigger with crisp 4 lb pull • Baer deluxe Commander hammer and sear • Baer beavertail grip safety with pad • Flat serrated mainspring housing • Beveled mag well • Polished feed ramp and throated barrel • Baer extended ambi safety • High checkered front strap @ 30 lpi • Edges rounded for tactical carry • Pistol tuned for total reliability • Baer Premium Checkered Cocobola grips • Blued finish
    • (1) 7-round premium stinger magazine

Caliber: .45 ACP

Watch for a used Kimber compact...great 4" bull barrel on an officer's frame.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I still don't understand why Springfield doesn't offer this size in their plain loaded series. I have to believe they'd sell them consistently.

Thanks!
    Joe
    Reread my post. They did offer them, but they didn't sell. I have one and it is a great gun. You can find used ones if you look.

ranburr

good thoughts and that STINGER WOW but it must cost a fortune!!! Never saw a kimber compact before, will do some more research there!

Okay, I checked the price on the Stinger: $1,890.00 and I'm sure it's worth every penny of it but I could never swing that. Of course if I add up my last three or four gun purchases then there it is...not sure if I could swing that but I would imagine it would be an absolute dream to shoot!

please don't tempt me like that

JD
    Administrator
    That's MSRP, I've seen them lower

You can always call around and ask.

As mentioned above, there is the Springfield Ultra Compact which is a Loaded Model with a 3.5" bbl and officers frame.

Or you can call Colt and see about a Gunsite CCO. You want the model 09840CGP.

I saw in a previous post that one guy added a front bead shotgun sight to his Colt New Agent. It fit in the front of the trench perfectly, did not protrude at all, and made a big difference. I just added the Crimson Trace Laser Grips to my New Agent. I like the laser, but I really miss the thin grips!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccwguy View Post
    I saw in a previous post that one guy added a front bead shotgun sight to his Colt New Agent. It fit in the front of the trench perfectly, did not protrude at all, and made a big difference. I just added the Crimson Trace Laser Grips to my New Agent. I like the laser, but I really miss the thin grips!
    When the New Agent first came out, I said that everyone would hate me for it, but I would mount a fiber optic in the trench.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I don't care for the "gutter sight" however, you're all going to hate me for this, I'd take one of those fiber optic shotgun sights (the long tube) and mount that sucker in the gutter, you'd still have snag free, and a little more visibility than just the gutter.

I don't think sales will go up on that, the Kimber RCP hasn't done that well, however if I were to be on the market for a small .45 and I were to buy one in that style, I'd take the Colt over the Kimber any day of the week.

It's a little big for a BUG in my book, but as a small, yet big bore CCW it would be all right.
    Oh the responses that one got.

OD*
    Colt hasn't offered the Gunsite series in some time, you can find them on the Internet in places.
    GunsAmerica - 09840CGP Lwt Officers CCO 45 - Colt Automatic Pistols (1911 & Var) - Guns For Sale & Gun Auctions
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links