Kel Tec Pf9

This is a discussion on Kel Tec Pf9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for anybody's experience good or bad with this pocket pistol . Ammo it seems to like more than others ???? If you got ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel Tec Pf9

Kel Tec Pf9

I'm looking for anybody's experience good or bad with this pocket pistol . Ammo it seems to like more than others ???? If you got one let me know what you think .

2. Remove Ads

I own the gun and love the size and shootability. I find it to be a very accurate little pistol...when it fires. I have approx. 300 rounds through it and hoped the glitches would work themselves out. The main problems have been feeding and ejecting issues. I had the same problem with the P3AT...sent it back to Kel-Tec and it runs great. The PF9 will be going back soon.
    Evil does not have to come as a Tidal Wave...Even ripples in a lake with time can bring down a Sea Wall...Let's be a WALL...

I've been looking at getting one and I will tell you what I've learned:

1). Try to get R98XX serial numbers and above - they have replaced the mag release and another component with metal rather than plastic - much better. AH- they also eliminated an issue where the trigger would half reset and be able to be fired - causing light primer strikes. Now it cant be fired till fully reset.

2). they dont like 147gr ammo.

3). feed issues can be solved by polishing the ramp/barrel

4). Kel-Tec's customer service is SUPERB

I hope to pick one up soon. Hope this helped.

I haven't had any issues with mine yet... it's an R2XXXX ....

I have a R1BXX and no real issues. I love the ease of carry. As I have stated before, this is not a gun you will want to grab with a sack lunch and head to the range - it will wear you out in less than a box of ammo. At 7-10 yards it is pretty accurate - at 25 yards not so much - but you can hit the target. Over all I love mine. I carry it most of the time. I really would not worry so much about the serial number - if you get a good deal on a used one - you can always ship it off to Kel-Tec.

Senior Moderator
    Mine is an R2XXX and its a great little shooter that I carry alot...plus it is my "backup" gun when I work as a Deputy.

Just dont dry fire it. I did and broke the firing pin. Keltec did send me the parts to fix it nice and quick though.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    ....... they dont like 147gr ammo.....
    From my understanding, this was only an issue on the models that did not get the new barrels - early models with S/N R0Exx and prior. A good portion of the issues were addressed with S/N R1xxxx and above - somewhere around S/N R3xxxx they got a new frame to keep the ejector pin walking out. If buying new, I would certainly get the latest S/N - buying used, I would get the best deal and send it in to KT if it didn't measure up. Life time warranty.

Over at KTOG.org, the SNs R6xxxx have all the fixes Kel-tec has implemented. My R6xxxx has been completely reliable and one of my carry guns. It is very easy to carry and surprisingly easy to shoot for such a small gun. Kel-tec has a winner with the gun.

Two thumbs up!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    I also have one with serial # R2xxxx. No problems.

I have a PF9 serial #R7XXX with hundreds of rounds though it, pull the trigger and it goes bang. Only complaint is the recoil it does have some snap to it and after 50 rounds my hand starts to hurt but that's to be expected from a light weight gun.
    It is my daily carry in a crossbreed holster very comfortable rigg, easily concealed.
    Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do

my brother bought one a month after they were released. the only ammo his didn't like was the 147 g. winchester rangers; it just wouldn't feed them right. everything worked great. the only drawback to this gun (and i've shot it enough to form an opinion) is the recoil: it's hellacious. but, it's more reliable and accurate than you'd expect in a gun that size. and less than $300? it's definitely a deal.

I am thinking hard about getting the PF9 for summer carry. The ones with the hard chromed slides seem scarcer than hens teeth.
    God bless our troops!

Not sure about the 147gr fix.

In addition to not dry firing because: The extractor bolt somehow becomes stripped while inside. Something about the hammer or firing pin hitting it and stripping it. Either way I hear it's a PITA to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    my brother bought one a month after they were released. the only ammo his didn't like was the 147 g. winchester rangers; it just wouldn't feed them right. everything worked great. the only drawback to this gun (and i've shot it enough to form an opinion) is the recoil: it's hellacious. but, it's more reliable and accurate than you'd expect in a gun that size. and less than $300? it's definitely a deal.
    Tell your brother to consider buying some grip pads and grip cover from here.
    KTADDONS.com
    Makes a huge difference in felt recoil. I use two pads front and back of the handle.
    "An armed society is a polite society"

Have 2. Neither been sent back. Use WWB for practice. Carry GD124+p. Averages 1121fps out of them. Great for summer carry as primary & cooler weather as BUG. Been very pleased with both. Target was shot fast at 7 yds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links