FTRTB in Glock 27...

FTRTB in Glock 27...

This is a discussion on FTRTB in Glock 27... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, so I'm a spoiled 1911 owner who recently got a Glock 27 deal. Got the pistol, one extended mag, and a box o' shells ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTRTB in Glock 27...

FTRTB in Glock 27...

Okay, so I'm a spoiled 1911 owner who recently got a Glock 27 deal. Got the pistol, one extended mag, and a box o' shells (JHP's) for $350.00, left thinking I'd robbed them.

Went to the range to shoot my 1911, and so, what the hey, took my G27 in and shot it as well. The first 3 shots in a row, and like 7 of the first 15 rounds, experienced a failure to return to battery. Bummed is not the word...

Now, being that I shoot 1911's, I'm usually very aware of limp-wristing it, but I thought that Glocks had a rep for going bang regardless. Still, another guy on the range was making small talk, and I mentioned to him that it just wasn't working well. He told me the G27 requires a REALLY stiff grip because it's so short, and that if I'd use both hands and bear down, it'd do fine. I tried it again, and shot the rest without incident, so maybe he's right.

Thing is, I'm like 6'5" and 260 (going down, thanks for asking), and don't consider myself to be a weakling. I can one hand my 1911's without issue, and am wondering if something else might be up. Can the springs be shot in it? No way to know how many rounds went through it so far...

All input is now solicited!

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    I'm 5'9" and 135 pounds. I put two mags full of .40 through a G27 recently, both one-handed, firing as fast as possible. No problems. There is something wrong.

I will agree the gun can be a handful, but i'd get your piece looked at. I shot mine for the 1st time, and didn't have one failure.. I shot three different types/styles of ammo (Total of 200 rounds). I kept a good grip on her, and she kept trucking w/o failure..
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Okay, so I'm a spoiled 1911 owner who recently got a Glock 27 deal. Got the pistol, one extended mag, and a box o' shells (JHP's) for $350.00, left thinking I'd robbed them.
    What sort of 'extended' mag is it? You might try a new recoil spring, but I'd inspect the mag and the ammo--try a different type or ball ammo and see if there are still issues. Be careful, be safe, good luck, and Glock on!

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    There may be a bunch of grit/crud built up in the recoil spring. I'd strip it and thoroughly bathe the gun before reassembly/lubrication and another range trip. If that doesn't solve it, I'd look into a new recoil assembly. Brownell's has them for about $35.

A new factory recoil assembly for the G27 shouldn't cost you over $10

I'm 5'4 135 lbs and I can shoot it. Try different ammo and if that doesn't work, send ot back to Glock and have them take a look at it.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

I am also thinking a mag/ammo issue. But I have to say I have put the cheapest to the expensive stuff through mine with no issues. I even tried limp wristing the 27 with no issues. Try a different mag and see what happens.

Check to see if your magazines are Glock factory brand. Sometimes after market magazines are the culprit of a lot of malfunctions.
    God bless our troops!

Good questions and comments. The 'extended' magazine is not the hi-cap version, just has the little pinky extension on it. It IS a Glock brand mag. Did notice it's not much fun to get that last round into, but have read that is normal for their mags. Did get it in, by the way. Was shooting Magtech JHP's.

What's Glock's policy on warranty, etc.? Is it original purchaser only, and how long does it run? I have a local gunsmith I trust, but would be willing to send it to Glock to be evaluated if there's an advantage to it (monetary or other).

Better to buy a new mag first, and evaluate it again before sending it off? Suppose if it's the mag, I can invest in a new spring and then will have two (which I need as a minimum anyhow...).

Administrator
    Your physical size has nothing to do with a possible limp wristing issue, but a 1911 and a G27 are two different birds all together, so it may just be a matter of technique, a mag issue or an ammo issue. (I listed the possibilities in that order on purpose)

The Glocks in 40 are notorious for exposing any bad habits, I still limp wrist my G23 from time to time because I primarily shoot Sigs or 1911's. I get thrown off when I switch over to the Glock sometimes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My Paperwork expresses warranty to be a year from handgun purchase. Your pretty much done there; I'd assume. Try to get a different mag, or better yet if you know someone with the same Glock just swap parts until you find your failure. Better yet you can use any .40 mag. in the gun also. That gives you choices also.. WOOT!!
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    One thing you did not mention was whether or not you cleaned the gun before taking it to the range. Glocks usually run in all conditions, but, ya never know! Could just be some crud.

Quote Originally Posted by Slabsides45 View Post
    Good questions and comments. The 'extended' magazine is not the hi-cap version, just has the little pinky extension on it. It IS a Glock brand mag. Did notice it's not much fun to get that last round into, but have read that is normal for their mags. Did get it in, by the way. Was shooting Magtech JHP's.

What's Glock's policy on warranty, etc.? Is it original purchaser only, and how long does it run? I have a local gunsmith I trust, but would be willing to send it to Glock to be evaluated if there's an advantage to it (monetary or other).

Better to buy a new mag first, and evaluate it again before sending it off? Suppose if it's the mag, I can invest in a new spring and then will have two (which I need as a minimum anyhow...).
    I am wondering if whomever installed the pinkie extensions did not get the spring seated correctly. Also when loading the mag - after loading the first 4 rounds - tap the bottom of the mag on a hard surface - load all but the last round - tap again - then load the last round. If this does not resolve your issues - purchase a new mag - topglock has ok prices. I think the issue is in your mags.

More good input. I took the pistol apart and cleaned it like a madman, mainly because the 1911 won't tolerate much junk if it's a tight one (mines a Kimber), so I'm accustomed to having to clean it. Also lubricated well with WeaponShield prior to taking her to town. I didn't tap the mag or do anything of the sort, just crammed the rounds in and shot 'em.

Sixto is right, might be my technique, they are totally different animals. Took a box of 50 rounds, and shot all but the last 14 (gotta have SOMEthing to load it with after cleaning, right?), and didn't experience any issues after the first magazine. So, I might just be a Glock noob... Can't say that I like shooting it as well as the 1911, but I have to say that once you get that trigger work down, it's pretty fast back to the target, and accuracy was excellent in my hands (for me).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links