Which one?

Which one?

This is a discussion on Which one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've decided that my next gun...getting this week..is going to be a snubby. My criteria is that it's a 2" barrel, with hammer (shrouded is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which one?

Which one?

I've decided that my next gun...getting this week..is going to be a snubby. My criteria is that it's a 2" barrel, with hammer (shrouded is ok), in .357, $500 or less. Any suggestions?
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by kikr View Post
    I've decided that my next gun...getting this week..is going to be a snubby. My criteria is that it's a 2" barrel, with hammer (shrouded is ok), in .357, $500 or less. Any suggestions?
    Justed edited this, I figured you mean internal hammer that's not within reach of user.

I got a Smith and Wesson 640 .357mag about 2 weeks ago, real nice and it's very accurate as well and have even shot in at 20 yards just for the hell of it, can get torso hits easy at this range even with the DAO operations, hidden hammer that is snag free and can be fired inside a jacket pocket. I have not used .357mag rounds through it yet, only 38special and +p and that has enough recoil for me not to consider .357mag in a 2" barrel... it's 23ounces in weight.

The Smith & Wesson Centennial Models 40, 42, 640, 940, 442, 642, 340Sc, 342Ti and 340PD
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

VIP Member
    I'd consider a Bodyguard Model as well:

Product: Model 649 Revolver

Either model should do well for you, although I notice that the MSRP is higher than your stated range. I suspect you can find them at a lower price than MSRP. Good luck with whatever you choose!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

i would look for a used s&w model 36/60 in 38 sp.. then i would carry +p+ 38 sp ammo in it. you can get a bobbed hammer for it cheap. just drop it in yourself. that way you will have some money left over to buy more ammo.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Taurus makes some fine snubbies too. I have never fired a Charter Arms, but they can save you some $.

S&W model 66

Since you specified .357 magnum, I will assume that you wish to shoot .357 magnum ammo in the gun, and not just .38 special. In that case, I would recommend an all steel gun for belt carry with a little weight to it, to handle the recoil of .357 magnum.

For this application I use a S&W model 66 with 2.5 inch barrel, shown below. Although out of production, there are quite a few of these on the used market, and $500 is a typical price. There are lots of holsters and aftermarket grips available, as many of these and similar S&W guns are in use. The gun has an excellent trigger and sights, and conceals quite easily. The external hammer allows thumb cocking for longer single action shots if required.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I've had a Taurus 651 357mag for about 3 years with no problems. Midrange GS 125 is as hot as I want to shoot in it. It's a tack driver w/Rem 158+p LHP. Has shrouded hammer like Bodyguard and weighs around 23 oz. The M66 above is best choice to shoot much 357s in and the Bodyguard 357 would be good too.

If you're willing to increase your Barrel to 2 1/4" I'd go with a Ruger SP101.

It's more "comfortable" to shoot "hot" .357 Mag loads out of and doesn't have the "Hillary Hole" that the new S&W's have, unless you can find a pre-lock Used one.

Biker

B52
    +1 for the Ruger SP101, if you could go for the 2 1/4" barrel. It is really easy to conceal IWB and the thing is built like a tank!

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    +1 for the Ruger SP101, if you could go for the 2 1/4" barrel. It is really easy to conceal IWB and the thing is built like a tank!
    +2 for the SP101... It is now my EDC .. pocket or IWB in a Supertuck

Senior Moderator
    For $500 or less I'd go with Taurus, 605, 650 or 651

You might can find a used S&W for less but you will have to look for it.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    +3 Ruger SP 101 great gun easy to carry and conceal.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If you're willing to increase your Barrel to 2 1/4" I'd go with a Ruger SP101.

It's more "comfortable" to shoot "hot" .357 Mag loads out of and doesn't have the "Hillary Hole" that the new S&W's have, unless you can find a pre-lock Used one.

Biker
    I agree on both points.

+4 Ruger SP 101!!

Awesome gun and fun to shoot whether shooting .38 Special or .357 Magnum!!

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Depends on how you want to carry, if in pocket, I'd recommend the airweights and sticking with .38, if you're leaning more toward belt carry then I'd get all stainless .357 S&W or Ruger SP101. I have the 3" SP101 and love it but it's bigger than the J frames and a lot heavier but when shooting .357, it's nice and it's a pure dream to shoot .38's out of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links