The Best Carry Revolver???

This is a discussion on The Best Carry Revolver??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a S&W, M&P 340, .38+P/.357Mag. The grips were a little small for my large hands so I also ordered a set of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Best Carry Revolver???

The Best Carry Revolver???

I recently purchased a S&W, M&P 340, .38+P/.357Mag. The grips were a little small for my large hands so I also ordered a set of 'Esmeralda' grips as replacements.

I now believe I have the best little carry revolver on the market today!! 13 ounces (unloaded) and small enough so it slips into the rt. front pocket of my shorts without a pocket holster!! It does not print, sag, nor does it hang up on fabric with the draw. (The Hoag rubber grips did.) All that with the security of 5, .357Mag loads!! H&K speedloader in my weak side pocket with another 5, if necessary).

How does it get better than that????!!! ----- and YES -- I have fired several rounds of .357 thru it. Not pleasant but tolerable.
    Attached Images
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

2. Remove Ads

Sounds great that is a great little gun ...

I alternate IWB or pocket with a SP101 Love it ...

Your revolver is indeed a beauty Desperado. I personally like a heavier gun for carry and the SP101 is currently fitting my needs very well. The "best carry revolver" is a matter of personal preference. I'd say you've got a winner.

I think that the old adage applies: The best carry revolver is the one you will ALWAYS have with you. A 340 that slips in your pocket holster beats a L frame that was just too heavy that day so, you left it at home. You never know when you may need it.

I personally prefer a little heavier gun when shooting .357 Magnum, and a longer tube.

I carry a 3" GP100 that's been "lightly" slicked up and a 442 as a BUG. Soon I'm going to add an SP101 with a 2 1/4" Barrel to the mix and carry three guns. I just have to wait until the 'smith gets done with the SP101.

It looks like you've selected a good gun to meet your needs and criteria. That's what is most important. If you are happy with your selection, then I am happy.

Biker

Nothing wrong with a J frame Smith and Wesson in your favorite caliber. Hides well in the pocket and the old saying of "five to keep you alive" is no idle boast!
    God bless our troops!

I second that.

Although, I am in the process of getting a Charter Arms .44 Special Magnaported, having the hammer mini bobbed, getting the trigger and hammer polished and jeweled, and having them shave down the front blade and replace it with a XS Tritium Big Dot front sight.

Will most assuredly post pics once it gets back.

Cool 638 Bodyguard

Rapidly becoming one of my favorites!
    Attached Images
    Semper Fi

Mag,

are those Hogue Grips? I like em.

Cool

Those grips are actually Eagle Secret Service style

Styles - Secret Service

They are smooth as you can see, and really help with concealment.
    Semper Fi

Those 340'360 PDs are great looking.
    Danimal, love the sights on yours.
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

The grips are from 'Esmeralda'. I replaced the Hoag, rubber grips for two reasons. They were a bit small for my large hands and they had a tendancy to hang up on clothing with the draw.

I have owned a bunch of revolvers in my 64 years. Most are just too heavy and large to be good summer concealed pistols --- (given that I live in Kansas where it's hot and sticky). I've just found this 340 to be my ultimate, summer carry gun!! I'm lovin it!!!!
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

slips into the rt. front pocket of my shorts without a pocket holster!!
    I recommend using a pocket holster. I like the trigger covered on my carry guns.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    I recently purchased a S&W, M&P 340, .38+P/.357Mag. The grips were a little small for my large hands so I also ordered a set of 'Esmeralda' grips as replacements.

I now believe I have the best little carry revolver on the market today!! 13 ounces (unloaded) and small enough so it slips into the rt. front pocket of my shorts without a pocket holster!! It does not print, sag, nor does it hang up on fabric with the draw. (The Hoag rubber grips did.) All that with the security of 5, .357Mag loads!! H&K speedloader in my weak side pocket with another 5, if necessary).

How does it get better than that????!!! ----- and YES -- I have fired several rounds of .357 thru it. Not pleasant but tolerable.

Finding what works for you is always a good thing. I was noticing that you stated that you keep a speedloader in your weak side pocket. If that works for you, fine. But, I would recommend carrying the speedloader on your strong side. When you reload a revolver you push the cylinder release with your strong thumb. Weak hand middle two fingers push the cylinder open and now you are holding the weapon in your weak hand. Weak thumb dumps the empty casings as your strong hand is reaching for the reload, insert fresh rounds, close and you're back in the fight.

The first gun that I was trained with was a S&W model 10. IMO that is the quickest reload. We actually had dump pouches instead of speed loaders, but it is the same principal of loading with the strong hand.

But if you have a system that works for you than stay with it.

Congrats on the 340.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Might try a speed strip w/5 (or 6) rounds, strong side, watch pocket of your jeans (or flat in your pocket). Takes a little practice, and it's not as fast, but it's more concealable than a speedloader. I, too, like a speedloader, but seems like I always have a lot of junk in my pockets. +1 on the pocket holster if you carry in-pocket on a regular basis.
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links