HK P30 or Glock 19?

This is a discussion on HK P30 or Glock 19? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, after playing with a Sig a bit more, I've decided against it, for right now. So, I'm looking at these two 9mm's. I have ...

View Poll Results: H&K P30 or Glock 19?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • P30

33 32.04%
  • G19

70 67.96%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HK P30 or Glock 19?

HK P30 or Glock 19?

Well, after playing with a Sig a bit more, I've decided against it, for right now. So, I'm looking at these two 9mm's. I have both Glocks and HK's, so I don't restrict myself to just one flavor of kool-aid...

Here's my thoughts on both.

P30: Feels good in the hand; like the adjustable grips. Is fairly well proven already. Not a big fan of DA/SA; and am even less fan of LEM (when it comes out). $200 more, and mags are twice the price of Glock mags. Less common than a Glock (this is both a positive and negative, in my book).

G19: I HAD a G19, and didn't like the grip...but have since learned that a Hogue slip-on will make it feel just about right (experience on my G34). Cheaper in both initial cost and mags. And and intangible: I just don't have the pride of ownership in my Glocks that I have in my HK's.

So, input? I'm interested to hear thoughts...but, I'd like to say, up front: I'm really not interested in hearing suggestions for M&P's, XD's, etc., for a variety of reasons...I'm just looking at these two.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

2. Remove Ads

I carry a P30 daily in an MTAC using a Comp-Tac belt. I don't mind the double action first shot. Honestly I think I shoot more accurately DA than I do SA because I'm more aware of my trigger press.

That said, the Glock 19 is a little smaller. The Grip on the P30 is the same length as a Glock 17 grip. The overall length of the P30 is shorter than a G17. Which means the Glock will conceal more easily.

I'm a sucker for a gun with a hammer. That made the choice pretty easy for me. The fact the P30 is a great shooter certainly didn't hurt. It's typical HK reliability. I'm about 2k rounds in, with 3 fighting pistol classes on the gun and have yet to have a failure. (none of the Glocks in any of the classes have had failures either.) It's hard to go wrong with either of them. I chose the HK because of the Glock Grip Angle.
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Well, after playing with a Sig a bit more, I've decided against it, for right now. So, I'm looking at these two 9mm's. I have both Glocks and HK's, so I don't restrict myself to just one flavor of kool-aid...

Here's my thoughts on both.

P30: Feels good in the hand; like the adjustable grips. Is fairly well proven already. Not a big fan of DA/SA; and am even less fan of LEM (when it comes out). $200 more, and mags are twice the price of Glock mags. Less common than a Glock (this is both a positive and negative, in my book).

G19: I HAD a G19, and didn't like the grip...but have since learned that a Hogue slip-on will make it feel just about right (experience on my G34). Cheaper in both initial cost and mags. And and intangible: I just don't have the pride of ownership in my Glocks that I have in my HK's.

So, input? I'm interested to hear thoughts...but, I'd like to say, up front: I'm really not interested in hearing suggestions for M&P's, XD's, etc., for a variety of reasons...I'm just looking at these two.
    According to HK, the LEM is not going to be offered in the US, at least that was the case the last time I checked the HK forum linked of the manufacturer's website. Again, this was a while ago, it may have changed, the P30 is all ready available in other countries in different variants.

Holster selection is also limited with the P30, it's getting better, but it's still not great, that is the one thing that's kept me from getting one, if the right deal comes across, I might pick one up anyway.

Given those issues, I voted G19.

Administrator
    I'd go G19, no question about it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I wish I liked Glocks more but the grip angle is deal breaker for me...HK's have sweet grips...I'm getting the P2000 LEM.....great gun.

Go with the Glock...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It kind of sounds to me like you've already sort of decided in your mind on the HK.

Personally I'll take a glock over an HK any day though. I'm just not a fan of the HK trigger or guns with hammers. I love my glock 19.
    Glock 19

P30, because I bought one yesterday. I used to own Glocks (G23, G27) and during extended range sessions they weren't fun to shoot. My trigger finger took a beating.

After owning several other makes I've settled on HK. For me, they work best. I like having a hammer on my guns and prefer the grip angle.

I'm a LEM guy at heart but since no one knows if or when the P30 will be available in LEM I decided to go ahead and get it. My HK45c is also currently DA/SA and I may switch it to the LEM, but then again I may not.

My main reason for getting the P30 is that my wife (5'2", 120#) shot a friends and liked it. The recoil is minimal, to me less than the G19, and the grips can be changed so that my wife and I can shoot the same gun with just a quick change of grips.

I carry my P2Ksk so size isn't a real issue as this will mainly be a range gun for me with occasional carry and a home defense gun for my wife.

Just a few of my reasons but you can't go wrong with either as they're both reliable.

G19. I have one, it was the last one I've purchased. I love it so much, and I can't believe it wasn't my first. I'm lucky the Glock grips work very well for me in the 9mm and 40cals.

G19. HK parts are harder to come by, and they will be among the first to drop/not support civvie customers in the event of new restrictions. Materials are no better, but are far more expensive than Glock. Have owned both. Stayed with Glock.

First post so my opinion probably wont matter much, however, I carry a p30 in a mtac holster. It carrys comfortably and after about 1000 rounds I've yet to have any malfunctions at all.

I don't think you will be unhappy with either choice. I have two HK's that have never given me a bit of trouble, but there are plenty of people with glocks that have the same results. I will agree with Rob72 that parts for the HK's are harder to come by. In the end, the biggest factor is what fits you best.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Extas View Post
    First post so my opinion probably wont matter much, however, I carry a p30 in a mtac holster. It carrys comfortably and after about 1000 rounds I've yet to have any malfunctions at all.
    Welcome to the forum!

I think you will find that the vast majority here will weigh your words by what you say, rather than by your post count.

MAtt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I'm a Glock guy.....but.......you had one and didn't care for the way it 'felt' in hand. You did, however, like the way the P30 felt AND the 'adjustable' grip inserts.

If you end up not liking the P30, trade it on a G19 and a houge grip. Just my thoughts.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

G19. Not only is it imo a better pistol, you've also got a huge market for accessories, parts, and holsters. The convenience of a Glock and it's market following is really nice.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links