Rock Island Armory

Rock Island Armory

This is a discussion on Rock Island Armory within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw this good looking 1911 compact from Rock Island Armory today at a gun store...I was selling for like 319 bucks.....That is cheap! Anyone ...

Thread: Rock Island Armory

Rock Island Armory

I saw this good looking 1911 compact from Rock Island Armory today at a gun store...I was selling for like 319 bucks.....That is cheap!

Anyone heard anything good/bad about these guns?

...if they are good, I might have to stop carrying the 5906...SHHH don't tell anyone!
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

Lead Moderator
    From what i have heard, RI .45 are low end guns. Some folks have no problems with em, others have been plagued with problems. I guess ya get what ya pay for. Try 1911 forums to get a better handle on problems and such.

The only thing I've heard about them is that if you're going to be customizing the gun anyway with a reliability package or something like that, they can often turn out to be good. The whole concept however of putting $300 worth of work into a $350 gun and getting something you could have had for $450-$500 from another maker to begin with just blows my mind.

I know second hand heresy is nigh worthless, but I hope saying this will generate some more meaningful responses from some other people more knowledgeable about the platform and the maker.

I'd stay with your 5906... the quality of that gun compared to this other one, well let's just say your Smith and Wesson is Major League, and Rock Island is like AAA minor league.

I was drawn in by the cheap price. Turned out to be a basket case, one problem after another. Never again.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I'm sur Bud will chime in on this as he has a 38 super RIA and he likes it. I have never owned one, but have handled several and shot several. They are decent shooters, I wouldn't trust one for a carry gun. Like EUC said you can buy a SA GI that is 10 times the gun the RIA is for only $50-$75 more. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by d2thomas
    I saw this good looking 1911 compact from Rock Island Armory today at a gun store...I was selling for like 319 bucks.....That is cheap!

Anyone heard anything good/bad about these guns?

...if they are good, I might have to stop carrying the 5906...SHHH don't tell anyone!
    Not sure if this is true but I read on another forum that a person was having trouble finding a smith that would work on his RIA .45. Seems that many parts are not standard 1911.

VIP Member
    (SNIP)..if they are good, I might have to stop carrying the 5906...SHHH don't tell anyone!
    Stop carrying your 5906?

Are you insane man??

All kidding aside, I would continue carrying your 5906 instead of replacing it with the RIA 1911 as well....I've held a few of them at gunshows and the quality control was all over the place.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by srfl
    Stop carrying your 5906?

Are you insane man??

All kidding aside, I would continue carrying your 5906 instead of replacing it with the RIA 1911 as well....I've held a few of them at gunshows and the quality control was all over the place.

OK OK OK, If I had an extra 350 laying around, I'd buy that RIA - but you know what, I'm gonna keep on carrying the 5906.

Thanks for the honest advice fellas!
    S&W 5906

protego communis bona

VIP Member
    Hey D2.....how do you carry your 5906? Have you ever considered getting a 3913? I love that gun....almost as much as much as my 1066 (or any S&W 10mm).

I have two set ups, I use a pancake holster between my belt and pants, which I put in the small of my back, and for times when total/high concealment isn't an issue I use a fobus holster on my strong side.

Is th at 3913 a tactical version? For some reason, I'm turned away from 10mm, I think I'd just do with a 40 S&W. I'm not sure why...maybe just it's rarity compared to other calibers.
    S&W 5906

protego communis bona

We have several RIA 1911s at the store. ALL for cheap money, and when people look them over, they all mention how rough looking they are, and feel in the hands. I'd step away from one if it were me, just because of the reaction from Customers.

VIP Member
    (SNIP) Is th at 3913 a tactical version? For some reason, I'm turned away from 10mm, I think I'd just do with a 40 S&W. I'm not sure why...maybe just it's rarity compared to other calibers.
    I was thinking about the standard 3913, "Ladysmith" and NL (?) versions....I forgot S&W had a "Tactical" 3913. They are nice guns! If it wasn't that I had my Kahr 9mm's, a Beretta 92 FC Type M (8 shot, but no way as compact as the 3913) and now a HK P7, I'd get a 3913.

I have one of these... S&W 39 that was cut down by Armament Systems and Procedures.. (The A.S.P) smaller than the 3913. This is what Smith decided to market, after ASP went under.
    Attached Images

Sponsored Links