Defensive Carry banner

Uh Oh (Again)..now this time my P7 is in trouble.....

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  QKShooter 
#1 · (Edited)
.....but again, in a good way.

Why (again)?

Because of this:

Everyone, say hello to my new Kahr P45.

I managed to get this gun thanks to Glocktalk (GT) member Cal45 in Orlando who is a man of great firearms tastes and geniune nice guy. I got it from him NIB for $535.

Initial observations.....it's bigger than my Kahr 9mms: P9 Covert and PM9 which was expected. The width is thicker and the grip length is longer. As noted by another GT member who also owns a P45, the gun does not eject live rounds from the ejection port; they get hung up on the way out. I'm used to that since the Steyr M and S series guns also have that same characteristic.

A bit more troubling is that one has to slap the magazine into the magazine well HARD....and I do mean hard. If not, the magazine doesn't seat. Let's see if that issue self-corrects through hundreds of magazine exchanges.

Well, my P45 will see it's range debut this coming Tuesday. I'll post a follow-up range report after the trip.

I'll throw up some comparison photos of my other Kahrs later on as well.

Here's a photo of my P45 with one of my other compact .45 ACP's, my Kimber Combat Carry 1911.

See less See more
#4 ·
Bumper said:
Will be anxiously waiting for your range report on this one, as I have wanted one since seeing it at the last SHOT Show. :smile:
Bumper....I purchased this gun in part due to the recommendation of Berettaforum administrator PW who "fondled" one as well during the last SHOT Show....you two might have missed each other in reaching for the gun.

When I told him that one was available at that price, he almost smacked me when I told him I originally wasn't going to purchase it.

#9 ·
As noted by another GT member who also owns a P45, the gun does not eject live rounds from the ejection port; they get hung up on the way out. I'm used to that since the Steyr M and S series guns also have that same characteristic.
I have no Kahr's so did not know this - so - do you have to drop mag and spill live round down thru mag' well?

Outa interest re smackin' the mag - is that when slide fwd? In other words, is insertion any easier with slide-lock condition?

#10 ·
Yes, the round will drop thru the mag well.

Also, It is ony the last live round that will not cleanly eject - When I first bought the gun I hand cycled the rounds through it to make sure it fed properly (both mags). The last live round would hang if the empty mag was still in the gun. If you were clearing the gun, the mag would be out and the last round will fall thru the mag well.

#11 ·
P95Carry said:
I have no Kahr's so did not know this - so - do you have to drop mag and spill live round down thru mag' well?

Outa interest re smackin' the mag - is that when slide fwd? In other words, is insertion any easier with slide-lock condition?
P95C.....my Kahr 9mm's do not exhibit that characteristic; so far, just the P45.

I did a little experimenting: with a loaded mag and empty chamber (slide in and/or out of battery), the mag is no more difficult to insert than any other semi-auto.....but, if there is a round in the chamber and a loaded mag, it takes a really GOOD whack to seat the mag. Ditto if the mag and chamber are empty. Strange.

Stay tuned for a range report on Tuesday or Wednesday.

#12 ·
Ahh - well that seems not that uncommon actually - I am thinking of my wife's Bersa. If mag loaded to 7 then it goes in with previously chambered round - but I have an after market mag which holds 8 and that can need a big whack to seat it.

I guess this is to do pretty much with the remaining spring travel (or not) in a full mag, such that top round can (or can't easily) drop down just a tad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.