Black Beauty (Critique My Work!)

This is a discussion on Black Beauty (Critique My Work!) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I got what is probably the last item for the RIA, for a while. I just couldn't stand the military grip safety any longer. ...

Thread: Black Beauty (Critique My Work!)

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Hello,

I got what is probably the last item for the RIA, for a while.

I just couldn't stand the military grip safety any longer. It was killing my hand, and I'm pretty sure the original hammer, before I bobbed it, has left permanent scars.

I spent the day fitting this beavertail safety.

This beavertail is the first one I've attempted on a "live" gun; meaning, a gunsmith mentor of sorts (who will not be with us much longer, I'm afraid) had a bunch of junked frames and would let me practice on those.

A closeup of the fit. I need to blue the bare metal a bit more.

It's an STI, as is the thumb safety.

After I fitted it, I went out to try it. The hammer kept following. I had had this trouble before when it was new, and my mentor changed some angles on the sear and hammer hooks, as they were not fitted correctly.

I bent the appropriate springs, and while it helped, it would still follow at times, and rarely, double.

I played around with different combinations of skeleton hammers, sears, etc. I never found one that worked. What was happening was I was getting severe sear bounce. The hammer was able to come back further when the slide cocked it, and with no pressure on the sear, it flipped forward. I have Wilson springs in it; changing back to stock springs helped nothing.

My solution to this was twofold, and I'm going to catch hell on the three or four boards on which I post for the fix: First, the appropriate mainspring fingers were bent. Second, and this is where you don't want to go unless you know what you're doing: I went ahead and did some sear and hammer hook work. I must stress that I changed no angles (and you shouldn't either, without the appropriate fixtures) but rather, I deepened the angles made by my gunsmith friend. This was actually a good thing; he had about 4lbs on it and the deepening of the angles took it up to about 6.5lbs.

It is so black! That's powder grime!

The only things I really want for this pistol now are these: GOOD sear/disconnector/hammer combo (preferably with a Commander hammer) and a Kimber or King's ambi safety.

This is the shootin'est gun I've ever owned. It now sits in my hand low enough that I feel very little recoil, but I don't get slide bite. I'm overall very happy with it. The packerized finish is beginning to wear a bit, but that's to be expected. Nothing bites; everything is extremely comfortable, more so than any pistol I've ever shot. That's not because I did the work; it's my true impression. (I'm liking STI's stuff more each time I use one of their products.)

Dare I ask, what is your impression of my work? We're packing a lot of learning into the time we have left together, and this is my first real pistol job.

Josh <><

Administrator
    If you're really interested in doing a perfect beavertail installation then go to BLINDHOGG and click on Beavertails. CLICK HERE.

Nice work bubba.

Personalized work on a personal sidearm is always the most rewarding. If it works for you and you trust your work(and your sidearm) then it's perfect!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Nice first attempt, but the radius on your grip safety doesn't match the frame. It's a much bigger job than most people realize. Read the Blindhogg link that QK provided.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

the radius on your grip safety doesn't match the frame
    Thank you sir.

I'm wondering how this is though... I intentionally overshot the radius on the frame a bit (high).

The grip safety is held down in this picture.

Here's an extreme closeup. Did I get my original photography angles off, or do you mean something else entirely?

Thank you,

Josh <><

Here's a professionally blended Brown grip safety in a Kimber Pro. Notice how all the seams meet perfectly. It's not easy!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

OH, ok. It's just been blended.

I'm sure I'll get better as time progresses.

Thanks!

Josh <><

Sponsored Links