CW9

This is a discussion on CW9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a Kahr CW 9 a couple of weeks ago, so far I've run about 350 rounds through it without a single malfunction. I've ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CW9

CW9

I bought a Kahr CW 9 a couple of weeks ago, so far I've run about 350 rounds through it without a single malfunction. I've really been surprised by how well the little gun handles the recoil, even with hot loads. At 10 yards I can shoot a 4 inch group off a rest and about 6 inch offhand. The only thing I don't like is it shoots 8 inches low at 10 yards, with all loads, 115, 124, 147, standard and +p., all group in the same place. If I raise the front sight to where 1/2 of it is above the top of the rear sight, it's dead on. I know the front sight is pinned, but does anyone make a rear site that will fit the CW 9 ?
    Last edited by samh; June 21st, 2008 at 10:38 PM.
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

2. Remove Ads

Front sight should sit on top of the rear sight. Mine is dead-on that way and I think that is the intent of the way they should be used. I love mine. No malfunctions at all even during the "break in" period. Really would like to have a .45 to go with it.

I always shoot low/left, usually 5-6 inches low and left at just 10 yards. Darn trigger pull gets me, or maybe it's the sights, dunno, either way.. I love my CW9. I think I'll be adding a Kahr P380 to the collection once that comes out.
    Heavily armed.
    Collection: Kahr CW9, M&P 15-22, Walther P22, Glock 19.
    Sold: XD9 4'', Kimber 1911 Series II compact, FNP-9
    Shopping list: Springfield EMP 9mm, M&P 15 .223

I picked up a CW9 a week or so ago. I tried some 105 gr Lee SWC loads (3.5 grains of W231) that are so accurate in my CZ Compact and they wouldn't cycle properly. I then loaded up varying charges of W231 behind some 115 gr. clad Rainiers and only the top loadings of 4.4 and 4.5 gr. would function. But, these loads were about 1.5" low and grouped 1.0- 2.0" (offhand at 7 yards).

I then tried some 124 gr. Lee RN loads with a charge of 3.7 gr of W231 that were the "accuracy load" in my former M&P full size. These functioned 100%, shot to POA and grouped .535" offhand at 7 yards. I'll have to try more of these to make sure it wasn't a fluke!

I have yet to fire a factory load through the pistol but will as soon as I get a few hundred rounds through the gun. I really like this little gun!

Cloudpeak

I have put about 1,000 rounds thru my CW9. It is on target when I squeeze the trigger but is not as accurate when I try rapid fire. It is good enough for self defense out to about 10 yds. It was never meant to be a target pistol. I was told by the LEO who taught our CCW class that if I shot someone further than 10 yds away I would have a very hard time justifying self defense.

I know it's not a target pistol, I'm satisfied with how well it shoots, the size of the groups, I'd just like it to shoot where I'm aiming. I'm 53 years old and have shot all kinds of guns my whole life, mostly rifles but lots of pistols too, and I'm too old to change how I look at the sights. I want to shoot with the top of the front sight level with top of the back one and for the gun to hit the spot covered by the site. With the front site being non-replaceable I figured I'd replace the back sight with a taller one or an adjustable one. The back sight is dovetailed, what I don't know is if the dovetailed slot on a CW is the standard Kahr size or is it different from the other Kahrs?
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    Funny, I always shoot to the left using my P40 as well. I also think it's a trigger pull issue.

As for samh, why can you not be more flexible? Great if you can find a sight that will do what you want, but is the expense really worth it? Why not just learn to shoot the gun how it shoots? If you can hit your target just fine by using the sights a certain way, why not?

Not all cars drive the same, why should we expect a Kahr to? haha sorry.

samh
    they do make one just look at the kahr web site and then it will let u no,,mine shoots the same way u describe too i will do the same but i want to get a 45 first
    an new sites for my G26 since i have none on it now but i still am pretty god with
    it since it is my CCW i need sights

Mo
    Sam

Let us know what you figure out. I've been looking hard at the CW9 but if they're not designed to shoot point-of-aim with the sights level, I'll have to look at something else. Being "flexible" and learning to shoot with a front-sight-high target picture may be feasible if it's your only gun or the one you shoot most often, but I shoot a lot and carry several different guns as the situation dictates. I would not be happy if it was shooting that low at only 10 yards. I would definitely be concerned that I would revert to a level sight picture in a stressful situation.

That may even be a warranted problem, you might call them up to see if they'll send you a taller rear sight for free, especially if it's shooting low off the rest. If it's an offhand problem only, I'd tend to attribute it to Kahr's long trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo View Post
    Sam
    If it's an offhand problem only, I'd tend to attribute it to Kahr's long trigger.
    I think you may be on to something. I went out and put 100 rounds through my CW9 today. I tried shooting a bit quicker and my groups opened up quite a bit and grouped 2-3 inches lower than when I was taking my time and shot a good group.

Then, I tried shooting 6" targets at 7 yards as fast as I could go and had trouble hitting the target consistently with a lot of rounds hitting below the target. I hope it's a matter of getting used to the trigger. As it stands now, I shoot my little SP101 more accurately at speed than the Kahr. (I shoot the best, fast, with my CZ Compact and won our steel shoot yesterday with it)

I really like the CW9 but it may indeed need a bit taller rear sight.

Cloudpeak

Ok when you guys mention missing certain groups are you using both sights with one eye or both with 2? Reason I ask is I carry a CW9 and had the same problems. I realilized I was looking at both sites with both eyes open. I then just focused on the front sight and had no trouble after that. I say this because I am partially blind in my left eye due to a rare type of melanoma. Sometimes I didn't realize I had both eyes open. Now I hit very small groups. I have maybe 700 rounds through my CW9. The slide is still very stiff to break down for cleaning.

I use one eye. I'm trying to do better

Just for the heck of it, I think I'll try painting the vertical white bar on the rear sight black. I black out the rear dots on my other rear sights and seem to do a bit better.

Cloudpeak

Quote Originally Posted by samh View Post
    I know it's not a target pistol, I'm satisfied with how well it shoots, the size of the groups, I'd just like it to shoot where I'm aiming. I'm 53 years old and have shot all kinds of guns my whole life, mostly rifles but lots of pistols too, and I'm too old to change how I look at the sights. I want to shoot with the top of the front sight level with top of the back one and for the gun to hit the spot covered by the site. With the front site being non-replaceable I figured I'd replace the back sight with a taller one or an adjustable one. The back sight is dovetailed, what I don't know is if the dovetailed slot on a CW is the standard Kahr size or is it different from the other Kahrs?
    I wasn't trying to give you a hard time just relating my experience with my CW9. You might measure the dovetail on you CW and see if you can find a taller replacement at brownells.com. I have used them thur the years and found lots of stuff I thought was not available. You can also Google pistol rear sights to get many sight manufacturers.

My CW rear sight is right at .250" tall and appears to have a 5/16" base but that needs to be measured with the sight out of the gun. The distance between the sights is 5". You said you were shooting 8" low at 10 yds (30 feet or 360 inches). Divide 8 inches by 360 inches will give the slope per inch which is .0222". Multiply this by the 5" between the sights and you need to raise the rear sight .111". I don't know if you can find a sight that is .361" tall but I would think you could find one at .350" or .375" tall or an adjustable sight. Most of what I have seen are from $40 to $100. You might also call Kahr service to see if they offer a taller sight.

By the way I'm 65.
    Life NRA member since 1974
    "I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day." 2Tim1:12
    Go Army
    SFC

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    On the only CW9 I have experience with, the sights' point of aim was right on with the point of impact at 10 yds. If your shooting low with rapid fire, there is a good chance you may be compensating for recoil or anticipating the shot. It's easy to do with smaller, lighter pistols like the CW9 during rapid fire. To find out if you are anticipating or compensating, get a buddy to load your mags for you and place one or two snap caps in them at random places. Run some rapid fire strings. If the muzzle jerks low when you dry fire on the snap cap, you have discovered your problem.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM-STICK Holsters View Post
    On the only CW9 I have experience with, the sights' point of aim was right on with the point of impact at 10 yds. If your shooting low with rapid fire, there is a good chance you may be compensating for recoil or anticipating the shot. It's easy to do with smaller, lighter pistols like the CW9 during rapid fire. To find out if you are anticipating or compensating, get a buddy to load your mags for you and place one or two snap caps in them at random places. Run some rapid fire strings. If the muzzle jerks low when you dry fire on the snap cap, you have discovered your problem.
    I'm pretty sure you are absolutely correct about why I shoot low with the CW9. I had a similar problem with my M&P. Shooting slowly, the M&P (9mm) was very accurate. When I tried it plate shooting, I did poorly. Maybe I have phobia of striker fired weapons. I don't have this problem with my CZ Compact or 1911's.

Cloudpeak

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links