Would like advice on a gun to purchase - Page 2

Would like advice on a gun to purchase

This is a discussion on Would like advice on a gun to purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by VtCO Oh, I forgot 5: Not a Glock Well, that rules out the "best" choice in a handgun with the qualities you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would like advice on a gun to purchase

Quote Originally Posted by VtCO View Post
    Oh, I forgot

5: Not a Glock
    Well, that rules out the "best" choice in a handgun with the qualities you describe.

Kahr K40

Your specification for a single stack .40 caliber with no manual safeties would fit the Kahr K40 or P40 guns (K is steel frame, P is polymer frame). You can buy one for about $600 with careful shopping. The guns are very slim (0.90 to 1.00 thick, depending on where you measure) and can be easily concealed. They fit smaller hands.

I would tend to go with the steel K40, which weighs more but can handle .40 recoil well because of this weight. I have a 9mm steel Kahr and it has functioned perfectly for me. Here is a Gunbroker auction for a new K40, priced at just about $600:

Gunbroker auction Kahr K40

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    I'd suggest you look at a Sig P239 in .40 cal. It seems to fit your criteria. It is probably the next gun on my "buy list" though I want the 239 that is SAS and DAK which will raise the price to near $800 NIB, any other 239 model should be cheaper and might put you closer to your price cap. Good luck
    Gain a 2A vote, take a fence-sitter shooting.

How about a SIG P239 (single stack), P229 (double stack) in .40 S&W....or Kahr series of pistols (I believe all single stack)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

B52
    Adam, Your right I should have said Glock36. I want the Glock30sf...my bad it been on my mind for some time. The 36 is a single stack, but he doesn't fancy Glocks so disregard. Beer and writing post don't mix well!

Administrator
    Hmm, No glock, single stack and .40 plus with little or no external controls...

A DAK Sig 239 or Kahr K40 is about the only mainstream options I can think of.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    The Walther PPS is out due to price, that's going to be over $600.

I have to agree, either the Sig 239 or a Kahr.

The Sig P239 is getting a lot of recommendations. From the little I've seen of it I do like it. What are thoughts on the different trigger types for it?

I love my K40.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

B52
    I like the DAK trigger, the double action/single action model to me was harder to make accurate first shots with. If you practice enough I am sure anyone can overcome it.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by VtCO View Post
    The Sig P239 is getting a lot of recommendations. From the little I've seen of it I do like it. What are thoughts on the different trigger types for it?
    I personally don't like the DAK setup, I only suggested it because you wanted minimal controls. It is smooth and everything you would expect from a Sig, I just prefer the traditional double/single setup. A lot of people love the DAK though, for the very reasons I don't like it... its just a matter of personal preference.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have to join the chorus for the M&P. I have a full size. After about a thousand flawless rounds, I bought a compact. Now I have put Crimson Trace gips on my compact.

Like you, I have small hands. The M&P accomodates that easily. It has no external safeties. It is amazingly accurate. After over a thousand rounds through my full size and three hundred through my compact, and a wide range of ammo brands and types, I have never had an issue. When you pull the trigger, it goes "bang." Every single time.

Oh, one other thing. An M&P is made in America. An XD is made by an American company in Croatia. While I am sure that Croatians need jobs, they don't need ours.
    Dieu et les Dames

If possible, go to a range that you can rent from, and try a few.. This way you can get a feel before you buy.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links