First Gun.

This is a discussion on First Gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You didn't state the purpose of this 1st gun or your previous experience with firearms. If you have never used a pistol before simplest is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Gun.

First gun

You didn't state the purpose of this 1st gun or your previous experience with firearms. If you have never used a pistol before simplest is best. A revolver is more reliable that an autoloader, no safeties, magazines and NO JAMS. However in most cases a revolver does not hold as many rounds. As for cheap ammo if you want to practice a lot and have fun, nothing is cheaper than .22LR. If you want it for self defence a 38 Special revolver (5 shot J frame) is the surest and cheapest way until you are experienced. Clearing a jammed autoloader may take a novice too much time in a life or death situation. BUT MOST of ALL no matter what you get for a first gun it is a matter of practice, practice and more practice until your actions are automatic. A trip to a gun range every 6 months will not cut it. As for cheap centerfire ammo that is a thing of the past unless you are willing to reload. You can even get into casting lead bullets yourself using discarded wheel weights. This will give you cheap practice ammo and then use the factory stuff for defense. It is not necessarly a big gun that is best. A center of mass hit with a .22LR is better than a miss with a .357 or .44 Magnum, unless you are close enough for the muzzle blast to knock them down.

I have been shooting handguns since 1964, rifles since 1957. I started reloading with a Lee loader and with in a couple of months got a bench loader. At one time I was shooting 200 rounds each weekend. Now about 200 a month. I still reload but don't cast anymore. My carry guns are a Kahr CW9 (9mm Luger) for front pocket carry and a Smith & Wesson 686 .357 magnum revolver for OWB carry. I practice alot with some fun guns a Ruger Mark I (.22LR) and a Ruger .357 Blackhawk. So I use both revolvers and autoloaders.

2. Remove Ads

I agree with fatboy. There are many good choices available, but a Glock 19 is inexpensive and readily available used.

Even though it is inexpensive, it is also highly reliable, accurate and easy to shoot and conceal.

Good gun to get started with. My two cents anyway.

B52
    Glock19 is an excellent choice for you. It has proven itself over the years in the reliability area and is very easy to shoot, conceal, and break down for cleaning.

I will add a vote for Glock. Either the 17 (full size), 19 (compact but still easy to conceal), or 26 (subcompact but even easier to conceal).

All are 9mm, cheap and very easy to shoot. No safeties, just pull the trigger. And it is very safe to carry with one in the chamber because Glock has three internal safeties that are disengaged when you pull the trigger.

I have several Glocks and they are very reliable. My Glock 19 has several thousand rounds through it without one single malfunction.

Good luck on your choice.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Glock 19 if you want a mid-size gun that you can still conceal well.
    Glock 26 if you want a subcompact, very concealble gun.

I don't own and M&Ps but they seem to be very nice guns. I'm mainly a Glocker. If you consider an M&P get the model that has no internal lock and no magazine disconnect safety. You can check out the different models on the Glock or S&W websites. Good luck! If you need anything else, just let us know. We like encouraging people to make new gun purchases!

Buy the gun that fits your hand the best. There are lots of different styles, so you should be able to find one in your price range that fits like a glove. If there is any discomfort when you hold it, it'll be a pain to shoot.

My first gun (that I bought - my actual first was a gift - a WWII era Radom P35 VIS) was a Springfield Armory XD-9 Service. I've put well over 13,000 rounds through it and it is still accurate and reliable.

So... I guess my recommendations are: Pick a gun that fits your hand well. The only other consideration is the trigger. A DA/SA trigger can be more difficult for a new shooter to handle. I'd recommend starting off with a single action or striker fired gun. The SA XD, S&W M&P, Glock, are all striker fired; they'll have a light consistent trigger pull. They have no manual safeties, yet are safe guns to carry. A revolver is also a good choice, but I prefer automatics. There are plenty of auto's nowadays that offer the simplicity of a revolver with nearly the same reliability.

Good luck. And remember! For most of us, our first gun, is hardly our only gun!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Go out and rent a few, and learn your style/feel. You'll find the one that suits your needs/preferences.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Again, I can not stress enough from personal experience how important is to actually test the gun on the range. Just because it feels right doesn't mean it will shoot right. I found this out the hard way.

For your first gun I'd also stay away from fancy hammers and safeties. Get something simple to operate.
    Glock 19

WOW the Glock love is crazy in here!

I was in the same situation as you a while back. Everyone said Glock, shot one(.45) and hated it. Shot another one(9mm) and hated it. It is a proven pistol but some people just don't like them.

I picked up a Bersa UC9 and have loved the 100's of rounds I have put through it. I find it easy to conceal, easy to shoot, and very affordable. Do some searching and you will find that they are very good guns for the money.

And WELCOME!

I would look at the Springfield XD, the S&W M&P and Glocks, they are all great guns, readily available and should run you about $200+ less than the Walther.

Althought I am a big BHP fan, I also do have a Walther P99 and it is an excellent weapon. It is a .40 S&W and I have shot it a lot and never ever have I had a malfunction. As has been said there are a lot of weapons available, buy a quality weapon and you will never be sorry. My partner is a Glock fan, and the M&P are sure worth a look, but if I were only buying one weapon today simply for carry and protection I would seriously look at the XD. Good luck.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

I love my XD, shoots great, well over 6K rnds in the past 2 years...never a single malfunction of any sorts. Excellent pistol.

Best way is to rent and find out what you like.
    Armed and waiting...

V8
    The Ruger P95's are great for the money, they sell for less than $350.00 is you look around. I'm not sure if you are trying to conceal it or not. (not exactly small but guy's conceal 1911's)
    The difference in price between the P95 and a Glock could buy a
    1000rnds of ammo!

As much as it pains me to say this, get a Glock. They are very easy for a beginner to learn to shoot with. Parts and accessories can be found anywhere. They are extremely reliable and forgiving in the maintenance department. I often tell people that Glock is the finest gun made that I just absolutely hate. It is not for me, 1911s and Cz 75s here. But, for a beginner, it is nearly impossible to beat.

ranburr

i tell you what that new XDm Not to shabby

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links