First Gun.

This is a discussion on First Gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i was wondering you opinions on a good first gun. i was thinking of a Walther P99 or P99C. maybe a Glock, but i don't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Gun.

First Gun.

i was wondering you opinions on a good first gun. i was thinking of a Walther P99 or P99C. maybe a Glock, but i don't know too much about the different companies. i would like a 9mm due to the cheaper ammo, more shots = more practice .

basically all i want is
    ~a cheap gun
    ~something around a 9MM
    ~i kinda of like the clean look of the P99, nothing on the outside really, so something like that. not 80 different safeties to take off before fireing a shot.

sorry if this was posted befor, didnt see much from my searches.

Thanks a lot.
    Mike Prekopa

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    My first handgun was a S&W M&P. I chose the 45, but the 9mm has a great reputation as well. Check out the forum devoted to the M&P: The #1 Compact, Full Size, and Modified M&P Pistol Source :: MP-Pistol.com
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Who cares if it's been posted before? The subject? This is about you and everyone's different so no worries. Cheap is relative, especially with current economic conditions. That being said, I'm a real Glock fan and the thing is, you'll need something that works best for you. So---real, useful advice is limited concerning your dilemma.

Lead Moderator
    Hold and shoot as many different brands as possible. Try to find one that naturally points for you. A P99, Glock, XD, or many others can fit the bill.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

What is "cheap"? I can think of 3 that are worth a look.
    Check out the M&P9C, G19 and a XD SC for starters.
    See if you can rent one of them or others to find something you like.
    Others here will no doubt have their own favorites to add.
    I was trying to keep the price in the low $500.

Cheaper ammo...
    Easy to CCW...
    9mm...
    Reasonable price...

Glock-26 (just added one to my collection...(it's my last gun...)

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Look long and hard at the Glock.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

thanks a lot... im making my list of suggestions, then i gotta find a range that rents... trying to find a friend who's interested in going, that way we can split the gas price, because i don't see any in my area :(

anyone know that hidden little place around Scranton Wilks. area ? lol

Hi,

I just bought my first gun two weeks ago and so kind of know what you are going through.

I think the most important thing is to fine the gun that fits you. Hold as many as you can, but most importantly shoot as many as you can. As I found out the hard way, just because a gun fits your hand well, does not mean you will shoot it well.

I'd highly recommend you try some of the most common hand guns such as the glock 19 and springfield xd 9mm. Walther P99 has a great feel to it, but I've never shot one.

I think you should think long and hard about the glock 19. It sounds right up your alley. Extremely simple to operate and very accurate.

Good Luck!
    Glock 19

Love my S&W m&p 9mm. Go to your local gun shop and at least hold a couple of guns to see what feels "right".
    S&W M&P 9mm
    Springfield Loaded Champion 1911
    Dan Wesson 357 w/ 8" barrel
    Dan Wesson 1911 Bobtail 45 ACP
    Keltec P3AT
    Ruger LCR 38 +P

My first handgun purchase was in January of this year. I knew I wanted to do IDPA, and my wife had an interest in learning to shoot. I went with an M&P 9 because: it felt great in my hand, natural pointer, had different size grip panels to fit both my wife and I, no additional safeties (although, they do offer some), and what I found was it was the only one out of the dozen or so I tried that my thumb could reach the magazine and slide release. I have had it for almost 6 months, put ~1800 rounds through it and have had no issues. It has been totally reliable and I love it! Not to mention they have rebate offers too. All that said, before handling the different ones I did, I was leaning towards a Glock or an XD, so do take the time to handle them.

VIP Member
    Check out the CZ P-01....alloy frame, decocker, 14+1 9mm, price between $500-550

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeprekopa View Post
    i was wondering you opinions on a good first gun.... i would like a 9mm due to the cheaper ammo, more shots = more practice .
    basically all i want is
    ~a cheap gun
    ~something around a 9MM
    ~i kinda of like the clean look of the P99, nothing on the outside really, so something like that. not 80 different safeties to take off before fireing a shot. Mike Prekopa
    Hi Mike.
    There are LOTS of Double Action semiautos in 9mm.
    I suggest going to the Gander Mtn at Dickson City so you
    can "handle" different types.

Also ,here's a link to some Gun clubs near Scranton
    Gun Clubs

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

First, welcome!!!

Second, and most important - shoot the gun before you buy it... find a range that rents and shoot each of the guns you are considering before you buy... you will learn a lot about a gun when you shoot it... handling it at the gun store is not the same as shooting it.

Lastly, this is my recommendation... there are a lot of very good gun makers out there that I really love... Glock, SIG, and Ruger for revolvers. The most reliable and inexpensive gun out there is the Glock 19... Glock considers this gun a compact size in their sizes of guns... it is a 9mm and carries 15 rounds in a standard magazine, and 15+1 in the chamber is outstanding... also, the most critical when it comes to CCW - this gun is very concealable, but yet it's big enough to be a very nice range gun.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Welcome, and good luck in your search.

I carry a Taurus PT111. I gave $329 for it I believe over a year ago. You can go on the buy now button you can type in your zip code and find what people in your area sell them for. It shows I can still get it for 330 here.

There are lots of good ones out there. Hold them, fire them if you can, just compare. This fit the bill for what I wanted when I was looking for something in between my 1911 and my Bersa Thunder.

Edited: I did a search for Scranton, Pa, and you can get it for 333 at A&A Sporting Goods.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links