CCW of the XD45 service model?

This is a discussion on CCW of the XD45 service model? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can you carry concealed your XD45 Service model? If so what holster? Pics?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW of the XD45 service model?

CCW of the XD45 service model?

Can you carry concealed your XD45 Service model?

If so what holster? Pics?

2. Remove Ads

Depends on your height and weight. Probably have better luck on XDTalk.com.

I am 6' 205lbs, and carry my 45c IWB in a Crossbreed Quikclip .
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

I carry my XD45 with my IWB Mtac holster and it works well. It took a few days with the mtac to get the right position but it is very comfortable now. I'm 5'11 175 lbs.

When I carry my XD9 I use a C-TAC. Easy enough to carry IMO.

I carry my XD 9 in a UBG "Canute" IWB Holster.

Conceals well under just a T-Shirt as long as I don't stretch the shirt out by pulling in down too far.

I'm 6'3" 210 lbs. I carry mine (XD45 4" Service) in a Milt Sparks VMII. It doesn't conceal bad but the Glock 27 gets the call 99.9% of the time because the XD is huge and rather cumbersome. I'm not saying it can't be done but there are many guns out there better suited for concealed carry.

I sometimes carry my XD45 compact in the deep concealment holster shown in this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...view-pics.html

I realize you are asking about the service model. This holster works for me with the extended mag, which makes my compact the same size as the service, if the shirt is loose and made from slightly stiff material, i.e. not a polo shirt. It might work with a loose polo depending on your body type.

If you decide to order this, pm me for sizing info. The website sizing chart is not accurate.

I'm assuming that you're asking about the practicality of carrying such a large gun.

I carried my XD45 Service OWB in a Don Hume Agent 711, although I didn't own it during warm weather. I carried that gun all over the place, including places where it wasn't kosher, and didn't have any issues.

I carry the G21 that I replaced it with (pretty much my EDC these days) OWB in a similar holster, under an untucked t-shirt, an it seems to work out alright. It prints sometimes, but it's hard to keep a gun that large from printing under a thin cover garment. I would only carry it that way if I weren't terribly concerned about being made (which I'm usually not).

The G21 certainly wouldn't be my first choice for deep concealment, but I can conceal it suprisingly well with the Glock sport/combat holster. I'm not sure if something similar to the Glock holster is made for the XD, but you might want to consider one if there was.

I'd have reservations with carrying an XD IWB, due to their corrosion issues (I know I'll catch heat for that last comment, but some XDs do corrode....look over at XDTalk).

Hope that helps.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I carry my XD45 Service every day using a CTAC Minotaur (MTac) IWB holster. Concealment is achieved by doing as another said and getting correct holster position using the adjustable clips to get a good forward cant of the pistol butt and loosly blousing your shirt when you tuck the tail in. Larger shirts are probably a good idea as is a slightly larger pant size. An overshirt is a plus if you can wear one untucked at work. A good sturdy gun belt will also be key to support the weight.

If you live in a hot and humid area like I do (Florida), a wipe down of the pistol at the end of the day is a must as it will get some sweat condensation on the slide. I have not had any corrosion issues with my XD45 at all. Those issues were mostly with the earlier XD models prior to the newer Melonite finish. All XD45's were of the newer finish.

I wont pretend to convey that this is a light and easy gun to carry. It isnt. At the end of the day you will know you have been toting a large gun but you will get used to it. If you cant, then you will need to get another carry piece.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I made my XD45 Service my project pistol and sent it off the Robar who did a great NP3 job on it inside and out, amazing how smooth the trigger, mag release and slide are now.
    I also put TFO /night sights on it.
    Pistol runs like a top.
    I understand it is not the ideal carry pistol. I normally carry my Kimber Ultra CDP II for CCW and have carried my XD45 as well, just curious if there were other ideas out there on how to carry it.
    I see more and more going to the MTAC, the only thing I don't like is plastic against my pistol. I see that Tucker offers the same type holster, "the answer" with a leather lined option but then you are going past the cost of a Milt Sparks VM II (yes I know about the wait).

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I carry my XD 45 service in a Max=con V IWB holster. Comfortable, no problems.

I carry my XD9 Service in either a Crossbreed Supertuck or in a Don Hume H721 OT

i have no issues concealing in either. then again, i don't really worry about printing because i OC alot (with the Hume)

XD9 Service in a High Noon Split Decision. It's a tuckable IWB, and conceals fine wearing a polo shirt untucked. I would be hesitant to use it with just a t-shirt, and it did not quite work for me in slacks and a dress shirt.

So, to answer your question, a XD service is not hard to conceal at all, if you have a quality belt and you can somewhat dress around the gun. If you can't adjust your clothing style, a thinner framed pistol would probably be much easier for you.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I dont mean this in a fecesious manner, but , I treat my gun like a carry gun not like a safe queen. Plastic will make none to very little marks on a metal finish. Any holster, over time, will make its mark on a gun.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    I carry my XD 45 service in a Max=con V IWB holster. Comfortable, no problems.
    Squawker hit the nail on the head, the Brommeland Max Con V is a very well made and super comfortable carry holster for IWB carry of the XD45 Service. Gary also made me a double mag pouch to go with it. Ahhh 40 rounds of 230gr. manstoppers in a super accurate and fun to shoot weapon. You can also see mine on Gary's website.

tex

The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links