Anyone with first hand experience? G19 -vs- G23

This is a discussion on Anyone with first hand experience? G19 -vs- G23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rmarkob The pics show the Gen 3 grips with finger grooves (also accessory rail on the dust cover). They are molded into ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with first hand experience? G19 -vs- G23

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    The pics show the Gen 3 grips with finger grooves (also accessory rail on the dust cover). They are molded into the polymer frame that way. There are other internal differences between Generations 1, 2, and 3 as well.

Thank you for the explanation. I'll make sure to request a Gen 3 when I purchase my 19.

I seriously love all of the useful info found here from the many different sources (posts, links etc). I really appreciate this site and it's members.

2. Remove Ads

I have a G19. Most of the time it kicks out brass to the side. On occasion, I've had them go straight back over my head. My G19 was the last Glock I purchased and if it would have been the first, I might not have some of the others I do. I really need a G23 and I'm working on that. It's number two on the current list unless I run across a real bargain.

My step-dad has a Gen1 G19, and has had it for at least 14 years. I've shot it quite a bit (it as the first gun I ever shot). It's good gun that is accurate and reliable(and ejects to the right). I've been thinking about a G19 or G23 for myself - and find myself in the same situation you are in. I'm leaning towards the G19 for two reasons:
    1. It is a light, small gun - recoil on the .40 will be more noticeable (but still very manageable, I'm sure).
    2. The big one- Glock uses a partially unsupported chamber for their .40 models. I know that the KB failure can happen in any gun, but I personally am a little uncomfortable with the partially unsupported chambers.

Just my $.02, but I think I'm going for the G19.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

re:

I've had both, give the slight edge to the G19. The G19 IMHO is just plain fun to shoot. And with the right ammo the 9 will do the job. Speer Gold Dots 124 gr +p and Federal HST ( the 2 types I use for carry with it ) or Winchester Ranger ammo.
    Springfield Armory 1911-A1 TRP SS
    Glock 17
    Glock 32 ( w/ 23 barrel )
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9

My G19 spits them out at 2 o'clock high and drops them over my shoulder. An excellent example of what a sturdy, reliable defensive handgun should be.

Best of luck on your choice, and keep us posted..
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

I'd take a 9mm over a .40 any day.

If you require the extra stopping power, look at the glock 30 or 38. Otherwise I'd stick with the 19.

Glock 19 ftw!
    Glock 19

I changed all my glock 40's to glock 9's. Higher capacity and, depending on what you believe in ballisitcs, not much of a difference if any at all (think penetration and expansion here).

Cheaper to shoot, not the reported problems of kaboom of the 40. the glock 40 was based off of the glock 9. So the engineering was done for the 9mm.

But, get what makes you happy. They both are good.

I see a lot of support for the 19. I'm going to look at one this week.

Stupid question time - I saw a review of the 19 on a seperate site and one poster stated that the only flaw of the 19 was "no safety". No safety???? Is this true?

Here we go again with the Glock safety issue.......Glocks have no EXTERNAL safety other than the trigger mechanism, but internally they have a drop safety and a firing pin safety.

Check this out: http://www.genitron.com/basics.html Click the illustrated Glock link.

Enjoy your new gun!

Quote Originally Posted by whamonkey View Post
    Here we go again with the Glock safety issue.......Glocks have no EXTERNAL safety other than the trigger mechanism, but internally they have a drop safety and a firing pin safety.

Check this out: http://www.genitron.com/basics.html Click the illustrated Glock link.

Enjoy your new gun!

Thanks for the link. Sorry that a simple question from a curious novice got your panties in such a twist.

Thanks

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    Thanks for the link. Sorry that a simple question from a curious novice got your panties in such a twist.

Thanks
    LOL, its just a little annoying when people that have no idea what they are talking about pass their opinions and speculations on as fact; and its very common in the gun world.
    Your question wasn't annoying or wrong in anyway, speaking for myself, I'm glad you are smart enough to ask instead of blindly believing a bunch of horse droppings.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You forgot one thing--the same inherent safety every other pistol has-----it's owner.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    LOL, its just a little annoying when people that have no idea what they are talking about pass their opinions and speculations on as fact; and its very common in the gun world.
    Your question wasn't annoying or wrong in anyway, speaking for myself, I'm glad you are smart enough to ask instead of blindly believing a bunch of horse droppings.
    Thanks. I generally never "buy" the first thing I hear or read. I figured I would ask here to be sure....best group of knowledgable men and women when it comes to firearms

I can see how the 19 having no external safety could be an issue for some. I myself am not pleased that it doesn't. I really like everything else I've heard/read about that gun. I don't feel it will stop me from owning one or carrying it as my primary.....but I would definately prefer if it had an external safety. I guess it's just a personal preference. Not the end of the world though...so to speak.

Had both once ... The 19 is better only gun as it offers the 9 mm with more rounds, les recoil, easier to shoot , cheaper ammo and all the other reasons others have already mentioned
    Be careful what you wish for....you just might get it...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links