Anyone with first hand experience? G19 -vs- G23

This is a discussion on Anyone with first hand experience? G19 -vs- G23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own both. I use the 23 as a nightstand gun and the 19 as a gaming gun. I have a personal preferance for any ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with first hand experience? G19 -vs- G23

I own both. I use the 23 as a nightstand gun and the 19 as a gaming gun. I have a personal preferance for any cal that starts with a .4 or larger. I carry a G30 or a G27. I have all the 9, 40 and 45 models. I like the mids the best for defense.
    Here is a thought - I have a Barsto 9mm barrel for the 23 and just change the ejector and the mag and I have a great 19 - it shoots more accurate than the 19 ( I had this before adding the 19 - I got tired of the change over).
    Both are great guns - make a choice - you will not go wrong with either.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Years ago when I was trying to decide what gun I wanted to carry , I went to the range and shoot a few that I was considering . One of them was a G23 . I didn't choose that pistol then , but when I heard about Glock giving a $125 certificate on the purchase of a new Glock
    if you join the GSSF, I couldn't pass up that deal . So it was between the G23 and G19. I saved my targets from the time I shoot all the different pistols and saw how accurate it was for me so I got the
    G23. I haven't shoot a G19 but I shoot the G23 good and the recoil was not a issue at all , so I went with the larger caliber, if it's good enough for the FBI it's good enough for me. Try to shoot both of them before you buy, then you decide which is best for you. The price of ammo is cheaper for the 9mm , but that would be the last reason that I would consider when deciding on what to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    Years ago when I was trying to decide what gun I wanted to carry , I went to the range and shoot a few that I was considering . One of them was a G23 . I didn't choose that pistol then , but when I heard about Glock giving a $125 certificate on the purchase of a new Glock
    if you join the GSSF, I couldn't pass up that deal . So it was between the G23 and G19. I saved my targets from the time I shoot all the different pistols and saw how accurate it was for me so I got the
    G23. I haven't shoot a G19 but I shoot the G23 good and the recoil was not a issue at all , so I went with the larger caliber, if it's good enough for the FBI it's good enough for me. Try to shoot both of them before you buy, then you decide which is best for you. The price of ammo is cheaper for the 9mm , but that would be the last reason that I would consider when deciding on what to carry.

Thanks RedRick. I have to seek out a range that allows you to rent. The one closest to me you have to have you own gun - no rentals at all.

I'm issued the 23 for work but carry the 19 when I'm off (well, let's face it, I'm always a little off ).

I definately prefer the 19 for reasons others have already listed:
    -higher capacity
    -cheaper ammo
    -less muzzle flip (therefore faster follow up shots)
    -greater reliability

buy the 19...you won't regret it.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    Thanks for the link. Sorry that a simple question from a curious novice got your panties in such a twist.

Thanks
    Hehehehehe....all in good fun my man. I think you'll be well served with either the 19 or the 23, both have a long established history as capable, reliable sidearms. I went with the 23 purely because I had a Sig P229 and found the .40SW to be an excellent round. Many folks here will agree, caliber is much less important than shot placement. Shoot what you're comfortable with.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by whamonkey View Post
    Hehehehehe....all in good fun my man. I think you'll be well served with either the 19 or the 23, both have a long established history as capable, reliable sidearms. I went with the 23 purely because I had a Sig P229 and found the .40SW to be an excellent round. Many folks here will agree, caliber is much less important than shot placement. Shoot what you're comfortable with.

Enjoy!
    Thanks for the advice I'm still deciding. Though a local shop has a 19 with noght sights for $660. Good price?

Thanks

Thanks for the advice I'm still deciding. Though a local shop has a 19 with noght sights for $660. Good price?

Thanks
    Seem about $100 high... I was able to find my Glock 19 with night sights for $560, but that took me a little hunting around town... some places were asking about the same price, but some offer range time (which is not worth an extra $100). Mostly it depends on the area and the going prices there... keep looking around and makes some calls.

If anything you can order online from places like Buds Gunshop, and have it shipped to a local gun shop.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

G17

I have A G17 and love it I was thinking about geting the G26 would you recomend the G19 over the G26? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guncrazy View Post
    I have A G17 and love it I was thinking about geting the G26 would you recomend the G19 over the G26? thanks
    An odd request. The G17 was my first. My second was a G22. After I considered and obtained my permit and started seriously thinking about concealed carry, I went with a G27 for a small package and a better punch. After years of Glock ownership including the 45acp G21 and G30 which have gone their way, I finally purchased a G19 earlier this year. I've found that with my body build and methods-that I can conceal it as well as my G27 which is the same size as a G26 with the same capacity. If I would have had a G19 to start with, and knowing what I know today, I likely wouldn't have the G27 at all, but a G23 instead. Live and learn. As of now, I couldn't see any benefit for the baby Glock over the compact Glock in 9mm or 40S&W. The compacts have a higher magazine capacity which is always good. So---I've made my bed, and I'm still lying in it---but I'll never loose love nor dis my G27 for good reasons although I'd rather have the G23 now. My G27 still sees carry, just not as often.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I have both the glock 19 for target and girlfriend uses it some times and i carry the Glock 23 all the time.

Thanks
    I agree...that's a bit high. Remember to set aside about $80 for your Comptac MTAC. Can't carry IWB without one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    Seem about $100 high... I was able to find my Glock 19 with night sights for $560, but that took me a little hunting around town... some places were asking about the same price, but some offer range time (which is not worth an extra $100). Mostly it depends on the area and the going prices there... keep looking around and makes some calls.

If anything you can order online from places like Buds Gunshop, and have it shipped to a local gun shop.

Thanks for that link FB97, very useful!

MTAC? IWB?

Sorry, still Super Novice lol Learning all of the terms, phrases and initials.

MTAC? IWB?

Sorry, still Super Novice lol Learning all of the terms, phrases and initials.
    MTAC is a leather/kydex holster made by COMP-TAC. IWB = Inside Waist Band
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    --GEORGE ORWELL

Quote Originally Posted by bunchok View Post
    MTAC is a leather/kydex holster made by COMP-TAC. IWB = Inside Waist Band
    Thanks. :) I'm looking for a leather holster for a duty belt. I'm armed security.....new to the job.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links