Anyone with first hand experience? G19 -vs- G23

This is a discussion on Anyone with first hand experience? G19 -vs- G23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking at both guns and would like to hear what the masses have to say about either or both. Please post your ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with first hand experience? G19 -vs- G23

Anyone with first hand experience? G19 -vs- G23

I have been looking at both guns and would like to hear what the masses have to say about either or both. Please post your opinons, personal experiences or pros/cons.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    I haven't used either. I have used the FS model G22, and the G27 subcompact. Both are very easy to shoot, much easier than I had expected. Obviously the .40 has superior ballistics to the 9mm, but I'm inclined to purchase a G19.

Why? Capacity and affordability. The ammo is much cheaper, and 2 more rounds in the magazine could be a life-saver. Remember, shot placement is most important. A well-placed shot with a 9mm is no less effective than a well-placed shot with a .40.

I feel I'll be more likely to make a well-placed shot if I am able to practice more. 9mm is significantly cheaper than .40, so I think the 9mm takes it.

I'm in the market for a G19.

6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

The 9mm gives you slightly more ammo, slightly lighter recoil and less expensive ammo.

The .40S&W gives you a bit more powerful ammo at a price of a slightly reduced capacity, a little sharper recoil and more expensive ammo.

9mm Glocks are effectively immortal with spring changes on a regular basis, while .40S&W Glocks may have problems when the round count gets high.

I've owned both models and from my experience the only difference is your preference for calibar.

Some people probably can tell a difference in recoil, but I never found it enough to be an important consideration.

With today's ammo prices the significantly higher price of 40S&W ammo would a bigger factor in the decision of which one to purchase.

Either one will be a terrific pistol. Good luck in your decision.
    "If you can't place your shots on a non-moving piece of paper, how much more difficult will it be when that piece of paper becomes a 3-time felon whose sole purpose is to avoid going back to prison no matter what happens and no matter who gets in the way?"

Taken from a posting by "Deadmeat 2"

VIP Member
    I own BOTH. Between my wife & myself we have three 23s & two 19s.

Two have rails & the other three don't. As previously posted the 9mm is cheaper to shoot & holds more rounds, BUT we don't carry the 9mm's.....The 23's get carried!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Thank you all for your responses. Still deciding........

Quick question to those whoo've fired the G19....

Does it eject to the side or straight up? SOmeone told me straight up and the ejected casing sometimes lands on your hand. Any truth to this?

Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    Quick question to those whoo've fired the G19....

Does it eject to the side or straight up? SOmeone told me straight up and the ejected casing sometimes lands on your hand. Any truth to this?
    It depends on the gun and what you are running through it on that day.

My gun does out to the side, but sometimes it reminds me that it loves me and beans me on the noggin.

Doesn't bother me in the least.

Administrator
    I have both and have shot both a lot. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the 19, no question about it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have both and they are both excellent guns in their own right... If I had to buy only one I would probably have purchased the Glock 19, just because of the price of ammo and it's much easier to control for follow-up shots. Do I want to sell my Glock 23c - No!!! I love carrying it. They have the same trigger feel, the same grip feel, and they share the same holsters (BIG PLUS)!!!

Usually they both eject the brass to the right side, but I have had an occasional piece of brass hit me on the top of the head... but very rarely.

Here is my pair:
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

The 9mm gives you slightly more ammo, slightly lighter recoil and less expensive ammo.

The .40S&W gives you a bit more powerful ammo at a price of a slightly reduced capacity, a little sharper recoil and more expensive ammo.
    Good summary. I'm happy w/the G23..wearing it right now. Its a fine gun..the only reason I got the .40 instead of the 19 was due to our Dept uses .40 and I'd get to shoot on their dime a few times a yr.
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Thanks guys....thanks for the pic Fatboy.

I'll be buying one this week...I'll more than likely go with the 19. The less expensive ammo does play a role. Mag capacity also.

I'll post a pic of my new "baby" when I get home with it :)

The G19 is my favorite handgun and is my main carry gun. .40 S&W has never been an appealing caliber to me. With today's quality defense ammunition, the 9mm is not a BB gun. I do not feel like I'm carrying light with my G19 in any way.

For cheaper ammo and lighter recoil, the G19 is my choice.

In that pic, are those the grips that come standard with the 19 or would I have to add them myself?

I handled a few Glocks today at the gun shop and none had those particular grips.

Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    In that pic, are those the grips that come standard with the 19 or would I have to add them myself?

I handled a few Glocks today at the gun shop and none had those particular grips.
    The pics show the Gen 3 grips with finger grooves (also accessory rail on the dust cover). They are molded into the polymer frame that way. There are other internal differences between Generations 1, 2, and 3 as well.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links