Is the Ruger LCP safe to carry with a loaded chamber???? - Page 2

Is the Ruger LCP safe to carry with a loaded chamber????

This is a discussion on Is the Ruger LCP safe to carry with a loaded chamber???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hope all the lawyers with permits are carrying with the chamber empty. This empty chamber thing is the kind of nonsense that can get ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is the Ruger LCP safe to carry with a loaded chamber????

I hope all the lawyers with permits are carrying with the chamber empty.

This empty chamber thing is the kind of nonsense that can get you killed. Maybe on a larger pistol if you have time and two hands free, it might not be too big a handicap if you practice a whole lot. Maybe.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

First, Ruger markets the LCP as a "carry" pistol. To me, and most everyone else judging from the comments on this board, a carry pistol is virtually useless if it isn't immediately ready for action so why market it as a carry gun if it cannot be carried with one in the pipe.

Second, Ruger lists the gun's capacity as 6+1. Why the +1 if not to have it ready for action.

With this said, I don't discount the possibility that any firearm may fire if dropped. The LCP is NOT listed on the approved list for sales in California but I don't know if that is because it failed the drop test or for some other reason. I also note that NO Kel-Tec pistols are on the California list. Personally, as small and light weight as the LCP is, I don't believe the firing pin could generate enough energy to fire without a full hammer drop, but I'm not going to start dropping mine to test it out.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    The LCP is NOT listed on the approved list for sales in California but I don't know if that is because it failed the drop test or for some other reason. I also note that NO Kel-Tec pistols are on the California list. Personally, as small and light weight as the LCP is, I don't believe the firing pin could generate enough energy to fire without a full hammer drop, but I'm not going to start dropping mine to test it out.

Hoss
    I believe it's on the list because it doesn't have a loaded chamber indicator or witness hole, not because of drop tests.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I believe it's on the list because it doesn't have a loaded chamber indicator or witness hole, not because of drop tests.
    There is a little window whereby I can clearly see if one is in the chamber or not on my LCP.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    It may not be on California's list because the manufacturer did not want to spend the time and money getting it qualified. Check out the position of STI International. http://www.stiguns.com/CA-PressRelease.pdf
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Does the LCP not have a mag disconnect and a firing pin block? I thought pretty much every current Ruger has a firing pin block. If so, it is as drop-safe as a pistol is going to get, and the verbiage in the manual is just legal covering.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

[QUOTE=kazzaerexys;762501]Does the LCP not have a mag disconnect and a firing pin block? I thought pretty much every current Ruger has a firing pin block.

The LCP , since it is a direct copy of the Kel Tec P3AT, has a hammer block rather than a firing pin block. The hammer block holds the hammer in a partially cocked conditon until the trigger is pulled, fully cocking the hammer, then releasing the hammer block, and then dropping the hammer on the firing pin, driving it forward against its retaining spring to strike the primer and fire the round.

As to whether it would fire if it is "bumped" off the hammer block by a fall, you can deliberately short stroke the trigger and find out for yourself. Fire a round at the range. Hold the trigger to the rear . Slowly let out on the trigger until you feel or hear a slight click. That is the hammer block grabbing hold of the hammer. ( It is a false reset since the trigger is not all the way forward.) When you hear that , pull the trigger to the rear. The hammer will fall on the firing pin , but it will not fire the roundsince the hammer was only partially cocked. You will only get a light strike that will faintly mark the primer. You have to be careful with either an old Kel Tec or the LCP not to short stroke the trigger or you will get just this sort of stoppage. ( Kel Tec is modifying their new guns to eliminate the hammer dropping from short stroking the trigger. I suspect that Ruger will eventually follow suit.)

Regards-conwic
    Last edited by conwic; June 23rd, 2008 at 06:23 PM.

If you own a gun that cannot be safely carried with a round in the chamber then get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    If you own a gun that cannot be safely carried with a round in the chamber then get rid of it.
    How about just not dropping a loaded gun in the first place?
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

ruger

Quote Originally Posted by sui-juris View Post
    How about just not dropping a loaded gun in the first place?
    dont think there are many people out there that havent done that at least once in their life. i know i have 3 times embarrassing to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Sounds like they just copied the decock lever statement from the P series manual. I guess a proof reader would've been a good idea before going to press.
    Jack
    I know. They mentioned a safety, and for the life of me I couldn't find it. I think the safety is between my ears.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I agree.

I was under the impression that all Rugers had firing pin block/safeties or
    something more than a firing pin spring that Might prevent a discharge.

Just last week a poster dropped his loaded 1911 in his bathroom.

same situation. No firing pin block or safety to prevent such.

This post will not be the last you hear about the LCP being drop safe, but know that this and other threads on forums have me concerned.

I've dropped guns in uniform and in civvies. Even if you Never drop a gun..
    you will be counted as lucky, but others may not be.

My old girlfriend "moved" my 10mm once, dropping it very loudly and I was very glad to have a firing pin block in that gun. Very relieved to wake to
    a thud and not a big Boom~!

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    If I'm not mistaken, Kalifornia bans any firearm that does not come equipped with an external safety. That is how skky, skyy, or whatever they were/are apparantly managed to market in Kali. Some manufacturers, Kel-Tec included, just didn't choose to cower to Kali politics.

And, as for the "drop safe" characteristic of the KT pistols, it's because of the ultra-light firing pin not having enough mass to produce the inertia required to strike the primer in a muzzle down drop. I would suppose that since Ruger did such a fine job copying the P3AT, they also used the same firing mechanisms as well.

surv

I think the better question is do you feel safe carrying the gun for defensive purposes without one in the pipe? I know I wouldn't.

Might as well fit it with a trigger lock as well.

It's not a Glock so maybe there's no firing pin block.

I say we get a drop test done?
    Mighty HD

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links