Is the Ruger LCP safe to carry with a loaded chamber???? - Page 4

Is the Ruger LCP safe to carry with a loaded chamber????

This is a discussion on Is the Ruger LCP safe to carry with a loaded chamber???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not saying that didn't happen that way - but a lot of reports of gun discharges are changed slightly to make it more the ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is the Ruger LCP safe to carry with a loaded chamber????

I'm not saying that didn't happen that way - but a lot of reports of gun discharges are changed slightly to make it more the guns fault than the owners.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I'm not saying that didn't happen that way - but a lot of reports of gun discharges are changed slightly to make it more the guns fault than the owners.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    another thing to keep in mind about this "story", is that the bullet was never found????

I would think that in a case of a weapons discharge inside a commercial building there would be a very thorough investigation.

There's way too much missing information to accept this one as presented.

just my nonprofessional opinion

surv

Since the Ruger LCP manual is a little inaccurate (referring to a decocking lever), I decided to contact Ruger and try to get an answer concerning dropping the LCP. Please forgive the broken language in my question. Ruger's web site form limits you to 500 characters so I kind of had to "shorthand" my question a bit. My question:
    Your owner manual for LCP says any gun can fire if dropped but it makes reference to decock lever which is not on LCP. Makes me think it is generic warning applying to your DA pistols and not so much to the DAO LCP. Accepting that any gun can fire if dropped, are any measures taken in design of LCP to reduce this chance such as disconnected or 2 piece firing pin, etc. Just trying to determine what my risks are and what engineering efforts were made to reduce those risks with the one I own.
    And their response:
    You are correct, there is no decocking lever, the manual was misprinted and we are taking steps to rectify this. The Ruger LCP is a double action only pistol, which requires a long pull of the trigger to cock the hammer and then release the hammer to fire the pistol. The hammer is inside the slide and protected from a blow. The half cock notch on the internal hammer protects the LCP from jarring off. When the LCP is about to fire, the hammer comes even with the rear end of the slide, signaling the user that slight additional pressure on the trigger will fire the pistol. This pistol also features a manual slide hold open that locks the slide to the rear and allows the user to positively examine the chamber for safety, clearing and cleaning. The loaded chamber indicator view port allows the cartridge in the chamber to be seen when the slide is closed. The magazine itself comes from the factory with a bright orange warning that the pistol is capable of firing with the magazine removed. All Ruger firearms come with external locks, which positively prevent firing when correctly applied and used for safe storage.

If you need further information, please visit our website at Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
    Pistols: (928) 778-6555
    Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
    Ruger Firearms
    They never really addressed my question as to dropping and any safety features used to try and minimize firing on a drop. Sorry I couldn't come up with a better answer for everyone. I guess I could call them and try and explain my question better, but I was trying to get an answer in print so folks here didn't just have to take my word for what they said.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    CVHOSS
    Thanks for you effort in trying to contact Ruger, I 've been curious about this question myself. You are right, they really didn't answer your question and to me that's a bit worrisome.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

There was an issue when Ruger brought out the SR-9 concerning the gun firing if dropped. Sure your information isn't referring to that?

OK...I am a man of action after reading all this thread. Solution: I will drop some of these little buggers from a couple of stories above street level. Send me yours if you would like to be included in this research project. Those that go off....I just leave on the pavement.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I hope Ruger find some way to solve this problem, because carrying around an uncocked gun is like carrying around a very expensive paper weight. That is the reason that kept me from buying it right way.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

LCP Manual Language

I wonder if the language in all those manuals has anything to do with lawyers?

Quote Originally Posted by Natureboypkr View Post
    I hope Ruger find some way to solve this problem, because carrying around an uncocked gun is like carrying around a very expensive paper weight. That is the reason that kept me from buying it right way.
    Have we even determined that there is a legimitate problem...for real I mean. ?
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage View Post
    Have we even determined that there is a legimitate problem...for real I mean. ?
    Very good point. You are correct. I think most of us are just looking for clarification of whether an LCP would fire when dropped or not?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    In the response from Ruger they did not explicitly say that the LCP would not fire when dropped. However the description of the mechanism seemed to relate to engineering all directed at preventing an AD if it was jarred. I suspect that lawyers might prevent an explicit declaration.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Been carrying mine with one in the pipe since I got it in late April. Well, not quite. I didn't get a holster for a couple of weeks. And I carry my MK9 about 2/3 of the time - the LCP 1/3.

I did drop the LCP on a linoleum floor about two weeks ago when I got a little careless while changing from a pocket holster to an IWB holster. It was loaded. It didn't fire. Still gave me a bit of a scare, though.

It's on my hip now, with one in the pipe. I'm confident that this is a rumor, not a real problem. I'm also confident that a team of lawyers approved every word in the manual, with an eye to potential lawsuits and little consideration for the likely manner of use by owners. If they tell you to never load the gun, then you'll have trouble suing them if it goes off.

I reserve the right to change my mind regarding this problem/non-problem if I see some evidence to the contrary. Meanwhile, I'm not at all worried about it.

EDIT TO ADD MORE UNSCIENTIFIC ANALYSIS (or drivel, you decide): When firing this gun at the range, you can see the hammer come back and drop as you pull the trigger. Since the hammer sits well inside the back of slide, you can't drop it on the hammer. It doesn't weigh that much, so it can't hit the ground with much force if dropped from 4 or 5 feet. I really can't imagine this being a real issue. Any chance this is a rumor started by a Kel-Tec fan?

Well, if it is a "clone" of the Kel Tec as they all say. then it should also fire when dropped. Heck, I drop my guns all the time and they have never fired yet ( Just Kidding)
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

I can't believe this ridiculous and unfounded thread has made it to six pages.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links