Is the Ruger LCP safe to carry with a loaded chamber???? - Page 5

Is the Ruger LCP safe to carry with a loaded chamber????

This is a discussion on Is the Ruger LCP safe to carry with a loaded chamber???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ranburr I can't believe this ridiculous and unfounded thread has made it to six pages. Would you be willing to elaborate and ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is the Ruger LCP safe to carry with a loaded chamber????

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    I can't believe this ridiculous and unfounded thread has made it to six pages.
    Would you be willing to elaborate and share some input or insight?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Would you be willing to elaborate and share some input or insight?
    Ditto
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

I am sorry that my thread has caused such an uproar. I thought this forum was to help answer questions and I thought I had a legitmate question. Some of us aren't all knowing. The manual does say to carry with an empty chamber.
    Life NRA member since 1974
    "I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day." 2Tim1:12
    Go Army
    SFC

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 15AcreWoods View Post
    I am sorry that my thread has caused such an uproar. I thought this forum was to help answer questions and I thought I had a legitmate question. Some of us aren't all knowing. The manual does say to carry with an empty chamber.
    No apology is necessary. Don't be discouraged by one or two negative comments. The vast majority of our members are more than willing to answer questions, so you should never hesitate to ask.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    I don't think it has called an uproar at all, I'm glad you asked the question and it is legitimate. Gun safety is paramount in my mind and I want to be knowledgeable about any firearms I use, and that includes my new LCP.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

It's a very legitimate question, especially in regards to what's written in the manual. You should not hesitate to ask questions here, especially since it is, potentially, a matter of life and death.

It's also served to point out the disconnect between the manual and the actual operation of this particular handgun. I've also seen it with other weapons, where something was obviously added to a manual as a "CYA" statement, to head off some concern the company's legal department might have had. It's important to get to what's fact and what's fabrication.

For example, in the Kimber 1911 manual, you can find the following:

Safe Carrying Condition: Never carry this pistol
    cocked, loaded and ready to fire as this practice
    could easily result in an unintentional discharge.
    Do not carry a loaded gun with a live round in
    the chamber while walking, running or crossing
    any obstacle, where there is any possibility of
    slipping or falling as this could lead to a
    possible unintentional discharge.
    I would never carry a 1911 in any manner other than cocked and loaded -- not if I expected it to be available for self-defense. They might as well have written, "Don't ever load this pistol with live rounds, because this could lead to an unintentional discharge."

Make sure your weapon is in good working order, have an effective and safe carry method, follow the 4 rules of safe gun handling, and practice. You'll be safe and prepared should you ever need your weapon to defend yourself.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

My point is, it doesn't take this many pages to say that the manual is flawed. Look at all the manuals that say not to carry with a round in the chamber. I am unaware of any modern pistol that isn't perfectly safe to carry with one in the chamber, (regardless of what the manual says). If you are this worried about the LCP, don't get one.

ranburr

JD
    Administrator
    Rodc13, good call on the Kimber manual, but remember, "ready to fire" means all safeties deactivated, condition 1 is not "ready to fire"

1943 - 2009
    My point is, it doesn't take this many pages to say that the manual is flawed. Look at all the manuals that say not to carry with a round in the chamber. I am unaware of any modern pistol that isn't perfectly safe to carry with one in the chamber, (regardless of what the manual says). If you are this worried about the LCP, don't get one.

ranburr
    Your point is taken, but your post could have been phrased a bit more diplomatically.

Consider how you would feel if someone said your thread was ridiculous and unfounded.

Just something to keep in mind.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Rodc13, good call on the Kimber manual, but remember, "ready to fire" means all safeties deactivated, condition 1 is not "ready to fire"
    However, it also says, "Do not carry a loaded gun with a live round in
    the chamber while walking, running or crossing any obstacle . . . "
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

M1, M14/M1A & mini-14 firing pins

Quote Originally Posted by conwic View Post
    ... weapons engineers revealed that each time a cartridge is chambered in an M16 Series Rifle or M4 Series Carbine, a slight indentation is made on the primer. This is caused by contact of the free-floating firing pin against the cartridge primer as the bolt closes. This is a function associated with normal operation of the weapon. The Army conducted tests to investigate the effects of multiple detents on 5.56mm ammunition. No slam fire, or accidental discharges occurred.

Interesting thought- especially since I believe that the M-1 and M-14 also had free floating firing pins.
    Umm, yes and no?

Their firing pins are completely floating - no return spring whatsoever.

On the other hand, the firing pins can only be moved into contact with a primer when the bolt is fully in battery. There is a tab on the firing pin that is cammed out of a slot in the bolt as soon as the bolt starts to rotate to open and it does not come back into alignment until the bolt is fully locked, by which time the firing pin has no inertia.

That still leaves the possibility of the rifle firing if the it was dropped on its muzzle from a sufficient height. I wouldn't expect such a trauma to the rifle would be especially good for it even if it didn't fire.

HTH,
    Dale

Take it out in the range or country, load it up, hold it out and whack it with a wooden dowel a few times, right there on the back. Keep it pointed down range though LOL If it don't go off after a few whacks...well, there ya go.
    Vern
    http://Taurus45ACP.com
    My wesbsite with many pro-gun links.
    Carry Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP

Is the PERSON carrying the ruger safe I would say is the better question. I have no dropped a firearm in my life, much less a LOADED firearm. If you are worried about this i suggest seeking another firearm, perhaps with a de-cock.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth AkSarBen View Post
    Take it out in the range or country, load it up, hold it out and whack it with a wooden dowel a few times, right there on the back. Keep it pointed down range though LOL If it don't go off after a few whacks...well, there ya go.
    p.s. PLEASE dont do that ^. lol

I bought a LCP and I'm on the fence about carrying one in the pipe. Here's an excerpt from an article written by Massad Ayoob who's opinion I would trust;

You don’t want to carry a round in the chamber of any semi-automatic pistol that doesn’t have a firing pin lock. It’s not drop-safe. This includes the majority of .22 caliber semiautomatic pistols out there. Carry them with a full magazine and empty chamber, and activate the slide to chamber a round when it comes time to shoot. If that sounds too slow for self-defense, I agree with you. Do what I did and what every modern police department does for its troops, and equip yourself with a pistol that is drop-safe and therefore safe to carry with a cartridge in the firing chamber.

Another concern a neighbor had an AD and all his guns were confiscated for a few years and he had to fight to get them back. Is it worth the risk.

I wish Ruger would have designed the LCP even if it cost more to make it drop safe and this discussion wouldn't even be going on which I have seen on multiple boards.

Here's a link to the full article if you're interested. I'm sure it was written before the LCP was even thought of.

Firearms handling refresher Part I: Handguns by Massad Ayoob 031207

1943 - 2009
    Ayoob wrote a review of the Ruger LCP in the June/July 08 issue of On Target Magazine. He didn't say a word about it being unsafe to carry with a loaded chamber.

I carry mine with a loaded chamber in a proper holster. It's perfectly safe.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links