ok for a carry revolver

This is a discussion on ok for a carry revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; whats popular to carry and small enough to carry any help thanks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok for a carry revolver

ok for a carry revolver

whats popular to carry and small enough to carry any help thanks
    TOMMY

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    J-frames are the most popular in .38 spl or .357 mag. You can get smaller, but you sacrifice caliber (unless you also sacrifice capacity), you can get larger and sacrifice "smallness."

Most popular is certainly the j-frames.

I have a S&W 360 in .357. It weights just 12 oz empty and is a dream to carry. Just not that much of a dream to shoot.

VIP Member
    I would agree that J frames are extremely popular. If you are willing to look at a previously owned firearm, also be on the lookout for any Colt Detective Special or similar as well: a slightly larger frame ("D"), but six shots instead of five with the J frame.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I recently got a SW 442. A buddy has the 642 (stainless version) & I liked it, but I like the plain black look. I didn't like the grip because of the lack of padding on the back strap. I also didn't like the sights. I killed 2 birds with one stone & got a Crimson Trace laser grip (LG 405). It's very padded & works well. It carries very easily in a Mikas pocket holster. It is rated for .38 +p

I have the Taurus 605 , .357 and love it. It's a 5 shot with 2" barrel. However S&W, Taurus, Ruger, etc. all make some great guns... all dependent upon what you want and feels good to you, and the type of price you want to pay.

The 2" barrels, and some 3" barrels, are the easiest to carry and conceal.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i carry a 642 SW j-frame...love it...
    if I were not to carry this. I would carry a Ruger sp101
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I think an s&w 640 (enclosed hammer, standard weight j-frame) in .357 is the ideal concealed carry revolver. Model 60 or lady smith (exposed hammer) or 649 (shrouded hammer) are also good choices.

New ones are ok, but I'd rather have a nice used one for no integrated lock.

They're not cheap (used are roughly $400-$550; new are $500-575), but they're nice.

Colt Detective Special

I have a Colt Detective Special .38 and a S&W 642 .38. The Colt weighs 21 ounces and is all steel, with a great trigger. It conceals very well on the belt because of its thin barrel and curved grip, and gives you 6 shots. Although the S&W 642 is light enough for pocket carry (15 ounces), it is difficult to shoot well because of its light weight, double action trigger and boot grips. While the 642 is OK for short range, the Colt allows you to take a longer, aimed shot with greater confidence.

So I recommend the Detective Special if you are going to do belt carry.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

The 642/442 is a great gun but I prefer the feel and weight of the Ruger Sp101 with 2.25 barrel.

Be careful what you wish for....you just might get it...

Carried a S&W 442 Airweight .38 spl, myself, for 10yrs, pocket carry primarily. It was a bit bulky, hence the right pockets and clothing needed to be selected. If so, then it was fine.

If going a bit larger, say, to the Ruger SP101 .357 w/ 3" bbl, consider IWB carry.

The snub-nosed revolvers (< 2-1/8" bbl) are very popular, as folks have said. Many carry these in the pocket, or IWB. Some carry in the purse, though I don't recommend this. They'll fit almost anywhere.

They are a bit wider, yes, than a small semi-auto pistol of roughly the same size (6.5" long, 4.7" high). They range in weight from ~13oz to 26oz, or so.

If speed-loaders are your thing, for reloads, ensure that the speed-loader will actually work on your selected gun. Not all do.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

When I'm not carrying my XD, I'm carrying my S&W 686. It's got the 2.5" barrel and a set of nice wood (unknown manufacture, bought the gun used) grips on her. It's got some heft to it but it's easily carryable. The weight certainly tames the recoil of the .357 to the point where it really doesn't feel any different to me than my 9mm.

Pocket carry, no way with the 686. The J-frames, the small Taurus', and the small Charter Arms wheelies are a great compromise if you were considering pocket and belt carry.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

I occasionaly pocket carry my sp101 2.25 ... usually in cargo pants or shorts...

I don't think it is too heavy .. but I am 5/11 250

Senior Moderator
    I sometimes carry a pocketcarry a Taurus 605.

Small J frames style revolvers are IMO some of the easiest carrying pistols around.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I have a Colt Detective Special .38 and a S&W 642 .38. The Colt weighs 21 ounces and is all steel, with a great trigger. It conceals very well on the belt because of its thin barrel and curved grip, and gives you 6 shots. Although the S&W 642 is light enough for pocket carry (15 ounces), it is difficult to shoot well because of its light weight, double action trigger and boot grips. While the 642 is OK for short range, the Colt allows you to take a longer, aimed shot with greater confidence.

So I recommend the Detective Special if you are going to do belt carry.

Pogo that is a pretty Colt you have there ,,,

I had tried to carry a S&W AirLite .357 revolver, but found that to be too light to practice with, and without practice too light to carry, but that was me... I've considered the Ruger SP101, but have not shot it personally, nor do I have the money right now.

You might want to consider the weight... light revolver mean easy to carry, but hard to practice with... heaver revolvers mean a little more weight to carry all day, but easier to practice with... just something to think about.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links