california ccw guns

This is a discussion on california ccw guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i am going for my california ccw and will be putting three guns on my permit. i cant decide on a thrid gun to have ...

Thread: california ccw guns

california ccw guns

i am going for my california ccw and will be putting three guns on my permit. i cant decide on a thrid gun to have on my permit. i curently have the following.

springfield armory xd-40 sub compact
    smith and wesson model 442 .38 special 5 shot

what would be another good one to have on the permit. i prefer a smaller gun over a full size i was thinking of a walther ppk/s in .380 acp or a para ordanace warthog or another style of smaller 1911 pistol. what do you guys think?

2. Remove Ads

Is this a trick question? Who do you know to get the permit in the first place? And if you can afford the insurance you'll need for the inevitable mega $$ Lawsuits...why not just hire private security anyway? I didn't think anybody could get Kali CCW's....unless they were a pol or Hollywood elites.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I live in orange county and both my brother in law and his sister are deputy sheriffs in orange county. plus i am a former marine with a active clearance from dod and an avid shooter. i just have to jump through a few hoops.

Well I for one am thrilled someone in Kali who's not a gun grabbing politico or one of their cronies has the ability to CCW there and make a good example to show the idiots in charge that, well, that they're idiots!

If it were me, I'd want a full sized gun on that list. What you've listed is a snubnose revolver and a subcompact. Me personally, I'd want one full sized service gun to round it out. I like to carry a full sized gun whenever possible.

A Commander size 1911 would be my choice from the options you listed and I'm not exactly crazy about that, but it would be my choice.

Here's another question: Can you just list for example a Springfield XD40 as your carry gun and then be able to carry any of the three sizes it comes in? Or would that get you in trouble?

If I was super restricted like that I'd pick 3 things that were a good descriptor of a gun that came in multiple sizes for more options. For instance I'd probably pick a Smith and Wesson L Frame .357 Magnum revolver if I could get away with that because then I'd have oodles of choices.

Or does it literally have to be THAT gun, like that exact serial number?

007, I too am glad that you will be able to get a CCW permit. As far as the gun choices, I would put a 1911 on that list, preferably one with a Commander-length barrel. Also, what do you think about Kahrs? If I had the cash I would love to get an MK9 or PM9.

guns

actually your permit in cali states make model caliber and serial number so you can only carry the guns you qualified woth in the training class. you cant just carry what ever you want. plus the guns have to be inspected and tested for a 5lb trigger pull or more or they wont let you put that gun on your permit.

guns again

i dont want to carry a full size gun really because i dont think its practical since i hope to never have to use it. i would rather go light and small but still pack a punch. besides the xd subcompact has plenty of power and shootbility. i have a xd 40 in the 5 inch and i put it in my holster and put it in my pants thats alot of metal to sling around all day. i dont want it on my permit. since i am limited to three guns i would rather have an assotment of calibers and types of guns. i was thinking of a walther ppks but i dont think it has enough power to put someone down even the .38 is a little week but it can fire +p ammo. i would like to have a like a para warthog .45 cal 1911 style gun for my large caliber gun.

Sorry you dont think a fullsize is Practical but that is what i carry and what i would carry very very rarely do i not carry a fullsize now that is winter fullsize for sure here..

Out of all i have carried this year i have carried my xd subcompact 3% of the time and colt cobra 2% of the time a fullsize rest of the time

Witha good holster no harder to carry a fullsize than a compact

Well it all depends. Sometimes when I'm going to be wearing light clothing that doesn't lend itself to carrying a heavy gun or concealing very well, I strip down to a BUG only carry. For example I went to a funeral earlier this year and served as pall bearer. The 642 was the gun for the job because even with the jacket on for concealment, I still had to bend over and flex in front of a lot of several hundred people.

Ever since I bought the Safepacker and started using it for my casual carry situations, I find I can take a full size gun with me almost everywhere. The BUG only carry is strictly for specialized situations.

One thing I really like about the XD Service model so much is that it's the lightest, slimmest, thinnest gun I can comfortably wrap my ham hands around. The full size controls and the way they're placed has really helped me like the gun more, and the longer sight radius dramatically helps with even unsighted or point shooting. I feel so much more competent with it than I do my tiny guns.

I think you just haven't found the full size that works for you. A carry gun is always very personal. Honestly however, do you carry that subcompact with the full size magazines that have the grip extender on them? You are already carrying the Service model. I've held both at the same time and the only difference is 1" of length.

DC Founder
    I'm another that like a full-sized 1911, but if you like the smaller guns, I would look at some of the small 1911's. You have a .38 and .40 already so you may want to add a .45 for certain occasions. Then again, you may not. Carry what you like to carry the most; it's all good
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Lead Moderator
    If you have 2 compact size guns, why not add a full size to the list? Seems like a good option to have incase you decide to want better accuracy/round count.

Welcome to the CCW club from another Kalifornian. And no, I am not a Hollywood bigshot or a gun grabbing politico or one of thier croonies. When you have only 3 choices on your permit, it is really hard to make those choices. I basically have the two choices you already have, a sub compact 40 glock and a J frame revolver. My 3rd choice was a Kahr MK9. I dont know about Orange Co. but the County where I live will let you change your choice when you renew your permit every 2 years. I doubt if they would let you change all 3 choices but they have never complained about changing 1. The county where I live does not inspect the weapon for a 5 pound trigger pull, you just have to show them the weapon, so they can check the make, model and serial number. When you live in Kalifornia you have to make hard decisions.

I'd stick with a wheelie and a couple of semi autos....

Links