Why no more 9mm SW J Frame?

This is a discussion on Why no more 9mm SW J Frame? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why is SW no longer producing a 9mm J Frame (940)? It seems like the perfect combo of someone who wants a small gun with ...

Thread: Why no more 9mm SW J Frame?

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar

Why no more 9mm SW J Frame?

Why is SW no longer producing a 9mm J Frame (940)? It seems like the perfect combo of someone who wants a small gun with a bit more potent caliber (no caliber war intended, I have a SW 442 in 38+p). I'm guessing that they didn't sell well, don't know why. I wonder if they will ever make one again?

2. Remove Ads

don't know why,,,but many mango seaons ago i looked at one and i wonder why any one would get a 9mm in a gun that was the same size as a j-frame 38sp. same size gun,,smaller cal. but when it comes down to it the 9mm is just as good as the 38sp in small guns. but i carry hydro shok +p+ in my 1980's year s&w model 60. talk about a hand full with these +p+ issue duty loads for the back up gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Sales would have to be the only reason, of course, but you can't tell they didn't sell well from the prices they sell for now. There are guys on the S&W forum hunting them ALL the time. I don't think they ever made an airweight framed one, but if they ever did, I'd buy it (even with a stupid lock on it) and enough moon clips to swim in-might even trade my 642 no dash and a buck or two for it.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I am no S&W historian by any means, but it could have been when they made the model 60 in .357 magnum it may have sounded the death knell for the model 940 9mm.

S&W has a funny way of doing things, for an example they dropped the models 431/432 Airweight in .32 H&R magnum, but are not offering a .327 Federal magnum model while Ruger and Charter Arms do. I think now would be a good time to offer a six shot all steel J frame .327 Federal magnum. I know this caliber is new and it is unclear how it will do in future sales, but if S&W got on the bandwagon, it would probably take off and sell like hotcakes.
    Last edited by crzy4guns; June 24th, 2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: spelling
    God bless our troops!

1943 - 2009
    I don't think they ever made an airweight framed one,
    They did. The S&W Performance Center built one prototype Model 942 with a 2 inch ported barrel on a Model 642-1 alloy frame with a stainless steel cylinder in 1999.

It was shipped to gun writer Wiley Clapp for evaluation.

His verdict: "The idea has yet to catch on".

(SCSW, 3rd Ed).

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Moderator
    I think Taurus still makes a limited number of 9mm snubbies.

But I would rather carry a .357 snubbie and shoot .38's out of it than carry a 9mm snubbie. I am probably not alone and that might be one reason why 9mm snubbies haven't really caught on.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I think Taurus still makes a limited number of 9mm snubbies.

But I would rather carry a .357 snubbie and shoot .38's out of it than carry a 9mm snubbie. I am probably not alone and that might be one reason why 9mm snubbies haven't really caught on.
    IIRC they are no longer offered, you can find them used, but I think they died out as well.

**Edited to add:

I just checked their website for 9mm revolvers and they all show as discontinued.

Administrator
    Just my personal opinion that what makes the 9mm such a good all encompassing general purpose semi~automatic round really does not carry over very well to its ideal use in an ultra short barreled snub nose revolver.

So...no great loss that it's not being made anymore and S&W probably concluded the very same thing.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    The performance of a 9mm in a 2" snubbie that has a cylinder/barrel gap, through which gases escape, is not going to be nearly as good as let's say a Glock 26 with 3 1/2" bbl. and no gap (the Glock being roughly the same overall size). Then, of course you also have to deal with clips on the rimless 9mm for reliable ignition in a snubbie. So, I think that all in all, it really was never a good idea.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    The clips would be too big a disadvantage for me to want one.
    Regards,
    Jerry

They did. The S&W Performance Center built one prototype Model 942 with a 2 inch ported barrel on a Model 642-1 alloy frame with a stainless steel cylinder in 1999.
    Thanks, CC, that is interesting. I stand corrected...I now don't think they made an airweight framed TWO. ; )
    One other thing struck my mind after seeing the above post, now that Jerry mentions it, my speed strips carry a lot more easily than my speedloader for my 642, so maybe I'll pass on the stack of 9mm moon clips after all.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I have and carry a 940 S&W. It is very fast to reload and the empties all come out with the moonclip. To reload drop in moonclip.

I also have a 642. The empties sometimes stick and the cases are longer and don't completely eject out of cylinder. Even with speedloader for 642 the 940 is faster.

I'd like to have airweight in 9MM.

I still use mine as a sometimes BUG, and sometimes as a "bet you never saw one of these before" gun. FWIW, 2 moonclips fit into the space of one .38spl speedloader. When I tested mine, there was very little velocity loss compared to a Glock 26, I use 124gr +P Gold Saber.

Links