looking for advice on 1911 - Page 2

looking for advice on 1911

This is a discussion on looking for advice on 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by hayley Full size, ambi, $800 (ish)? Viola: Springfield SRVC 45SS Package for Sale at Buds Gun Shop Big +1 on Springfield Armory ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for advice on 1911

Quote Originally Posted by hayley View Post
    Big +1 on Springfield Armory solid product, Kimber isn't what it used to be.
    YMMV
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I have been looking at Kimbers website at the pro carry line per recommendations and have not seen a model that has the ambi safety is there one that offers it or will this be something that i will have to go through the custom shop for?

The Pro CDP II has an ambi safety, but is quite a bit higher priced. A gunsmith can easily install an ambi in whichever 1911 you want.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    Big +1 on Springfield Armory solid product
    YMMV
    +2 on the springer
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpeak View Post
    Are the Kimber's still using a plastic main spring housing?

You might take a look at Dan Wesson's CBOB, a bobtail, 4 1/4" barrel with bushing. I don't have one but shot a CBOB 10 mm. It's a very nice pistol.

I have two Springfield 1911's, a 5" loaded and a 4" LW Champion Loaded. I really like the LW Champion. A very handy size and lightweight to boot. (But, I do lust after the CBOB).

Cloudpeak

CBOB is my EDC - VERY good value for the money. I also have a Taurus PT1911, and think that would be a great entry into the 1911 world (got mine for $479)....

I don't think Charles Daly 1911's have been associated with RIA for a while now. I'm pretty certain that RIA no longer offers customer support for them.

-JT

while researching on springfields and kimbers websites looking at different models I have noticed that some have fixed sights and some are adjustable. I was wondering what the differences are and if there are any advantages to having one over the other?

thanks
    J man

As if you don't have enough, input, right...but you may want to read this. My only concern with Kimbers is that their Swartz safety Mr. Yam discusses in this article has caused me problems, as he explains:
    Choosing a 1911 for Duty Use
    That is one reason that I prefer Springers. OR, don't forget to look at STI's Spartan. A bit over $600, ambis, adjustable sights if that is what you want. Filipino frame and barrel, quality control and inner parts are STI. Shouldn't have sold the one I had...
    And on the Springers, the Loaded models are nice but you can pick up the cheaper Mil-Spec version with decent fixed sights for $5-6 hundred and have a 'smith (if you have access to one) put on an ambi safety for less than a hundred...save you enough to buy a really good holster before you hit $800!
    Fixed sights may not be exactly on point of aim with point of impact, and you may have to switch out a front sight to get elevation correct or drift the rear sight to get on horizontal alignment-or they might be right on and no problem. They are less prone to damage if dropped, hooking on your clothing if carried, or getting knocked out of zero. Adjustable sights will allow you to set your zero EXACTLY as you want. Though most people tell me that they are more damage prone, I have managed to avoid breaking any on the 2-3 1911s I had with them. I think it depends on the brand of sight and how you use the gun, myself.
    This is just my opinion, and as you see, one thing all 1911 guys have is OPINIONS. The more of them you read here or at the forums that specialize in 1911s before you buy, the better.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I have a SA 1911-A1 SS government model for self defense the fixed sights are great out to 10 yards it's gonna be point and shoot maybe get front sight on target as far as getting a sight picture you won't even notice, I can still put them in the X ring at 25 yds with the fixed sights,I do use a crossbreed holster and it is very comfortable and conceals the pistol well,I'm 5'8" 180 and sit 90% of the time do to spinal cord injury
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Springfield Armory Loaded has everything you're looking for and is in your price range. The only thing I changed on mine was some skateboard tape around the front of the grip (I'm too cheap to send it off for checkering)... it runs flawlessly and fit and finish is great for non-custom pistol. On top of all that, if I have a problem, I've got a lifetime warranty on it.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    Springfield Armory Loaded has everything you're looking for and is in your price range. The only thing I changed on mine was some skateboard tape around the front of the grip (I'm too cheap to send it off for checkering)... it runs flawlessly and fit and finish is great for non-custom pistol. On top of all that, if I have a problem, I've got a lifetime warranty on it.
    Go for the SA Champion. Great shooters, easy to conceal and SA's service dept. if you do happen to have any problems is great. I am not a Kimber fan (no offence Kimber owners, I know there are good ones out there). As I said before on this forum I've seen way too many malfuntion to ever trust one. Pretty doesn't do it for me. My ol' SA Champion has never let me down and feeds everything including LSWC's.

Old Trusty

Last edited by Sportsterguy; June 27th, 2008 at 07:02 PM.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    Go for the SA Champion. Great shooters, easy to conceal and SA's service dept. if you do happen to have any problems is great. I am not a Kimber fan9 (no offence Kimber owners, I know there are good ones out there). As I said before on this forum I've seen way too many malfuntion to ever trust one. Pretty doesn't do it for me. My ol' SA Champion has never let me down and feeds everything including LSWC's.

Old Trusty

Is the Champion a 5 inch 1911??

PS nice cold steel knife in the background

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Nope, the Champion is a 4.25" barrel on a full size frame if I remember correctly.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

The Springfield Champion has a 4" barrel.

Cloudpeak

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Jman, I carried a SA Mil-Spec 5" for years (17) that I paid a whopping 350.00 for. Had the good sights, beveled mag well, lowered ejection port and came with a polished barrel and feed ramp. Added a Wilson drop in safety, Wilson LW trigger and a Ed Brown Ambi safety. Buddy did the work for free. Like the Champion it has never given me any problems. Highly recommend it but fell in love with the Champion.
    It's a great gun and still being made. Can't go wrong with either one. The Mil-spec will meet your needs and later on if you want to modify the gun it will come out cheaper than the loaded model and you can modify it to YOUR tastes. Between the 2 guns I have a whopping 1200.00 into them and they will get the job done as easily as a 2000.00 custom. JMO

Thanks for the compliment on my Cold Steel. The Benchmade is my boot knife/machete.

Champion 4"

Mil-spec 5" Now my bedside weapon (very comforting)

Last edited by Sportsterguy; June 27th, 2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: addition
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links