looking for advice on 1911

This is a discussion on looking for advice on 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been staying in the shodows on the forum lately only replying to a few posts here and there but reading a vast majority ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for advice on 1911

I have been staying in the shodows on the forum lately only replying to a few posts here and there but reading a vast majority of them. I have seen and read lots of valid statements about 1911's and I am getting ready to purchase one for myself. I am looking for advice from members of this forum for some considerations. My primary use for this pistol will be CC. I prefer full sized or full framed pistols, and I need to have an ambi thumb safety since I am left handed. My price range will be up to $800 any suggestions are greatly appreciated. my local gun shop recommended this charles daly
    Attached Images

Charles Dalys are just dressed up Rock Island guns at way too high a price. For $800 you can pick up a great Kimber Pro. Full size frame with a 4" bull barrel. For the ultimate, buy one and save your pennies and have it bobtailed someday. Here's a before and after. Nothing wrong with the before though!

Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Charles Dalys are just dressed up Rock Island guns at way too high a price. For $800 you can pick up a great Kimber Pro. Full size frame with a 4" bull barrel. For the ultimate, buy one and save your pennies and have it bobtailed someday. Here's a before and after. Nothing wrong with the before though!
    +1 on the Kimber, it's a great pistol and you can easily pick one up for right around $800. AZ Husker's pictures have convinced me to have mine bobtailed (or I might just trade it in and buy a Wilson or Ed Brown).

Full size, ambi, $800 (ish)? Viola: Springfield SRVC 45SS Package for Sale at Buds Gun Shop

I sense a Kimber Pro in your future!

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Chas Daly are cast frame and slide.
    While the cast frame is no real problem - I am not too keen on cast 1911 slides.
    So me personally...and for that reason I would not buy a Daly.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Are the Kimber's still using a plastic main spring housing?

You might take a look at Dan Wesson's CBOB, a bobtail, 4 1/4" barrel with bushing. I don't have one but shot a CBOB 10 mm. It's a very nice pistol.

I have two Springfield 1911's, a 5" loaded and a 4" LW Champion Loaded. I really like the LW Champion. A very handy size and lightweight to boot. (But, I do lust after the CBOB).

Cloudpeak

Your local gunshop guy is either an idiot or he is trying to unload a pistol that he can't sell. For $800 you can get a new Springer or Colt XSE.

ranburr

J Man, my first 1911 was the Charles Daly EFS. Not a bad gun but, it is an entry level type of deal. I knew I had to replace some parts and do some polishing to get it going good. It shoots well and is reliable. But, for $800, you can get the Springfield Loaded in stainless that is much better fit and finish. Or, the Rock Island is about the same quality for around $400 and has a great reputation.
    The Charles Daly is a $500 tops.

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    Your local gunshop guy is either an idiot or he is trying to unload a pistol that he can't sell. For $800 you can get a new Springer or Colt XSE.

ranburr
    The charles daly that he recommended had a price tag of 4 something I didn't take that close of a look at it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, being new to the 1911 scene I was wondering what bobtailing is, and is there any advantages to getting a SS model? I guess i'm still old school all of my firearms are blued.

Quote Originally Posted by J man View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions so far, being new to the 1911 scene I was wondering what bobtailing is, and is there any advantages to getting a SS model? I guess i'm still old school all of my firearms are blued.
    I'll add another recommendation for the Kimber...
    Bobtailing is where the corner of the grip is modified to reduce the profile of the gun when carrying it. SS is less prone to scratches, rust, etc and it generally keeps it's value more than blued firearms. With today's technology and finishes, I would put it more in the aesthetic category than a functional one.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    Wesson BOBTAIL

I would like to fondle one of those DW's someday...
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I'll add another recommendation for the Kimber...
    Bobtailing is where the corner of the grip is modified to reduce the profile of the gun when carrying it. SS is less prone to scratches, rust, etc and it generally keeps it's value more than blued firearms. With today's technology and finishes, I would put it more in the aesthetic category than a functional one.
    I respectfully disagree with that. IMO, stainless is the best way to go for a carry gun or any gun that is handled a lot or left lying out. I don't mind gun cleaning, but I'll be darned if I want to have to wipe my gun with oil on a near daily basis becuase I carried it and got sweat on it, or had it in the glove box or on the nightstand in humid weather. Of course other new finishes, parkerizing etc have their place, but I prefer SS.

My blued and parkerized guns mostly stay in the safe with a light coat of oil, and the SS or Tiatanium gets carried, becuase I don't have to worry about rust. My HD revolver that is always out collecting dust in it's hiding place is also stainless. I clean them after shooting and that's it. I hardly ever even wipe them down unless they been fired. JMO, YMMV
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links