Steel vs. Alloy Commander?

This is a discussion on Steel vs. Alloy Commander? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by P95Carry Ahh but Bruce - you do not know the ... secret handshake yet - and it's different from your ''exclusive 1911 ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steel vs. Alloy Commander?

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Ahh but Bruce - you do not know the ... secret handshake yet - and it's different from your ''exclusive 1911 Club'' version !!
    P95 - Perhaps, but I'd bet we'd be correct in assumin' that your club's handshake is easier for rookies to master since it doesn't require one to flip off a thumb safety.

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

2. Remove Ads

I have a lotta secret handshakes then, ranging from the 1911 club, all the way to the squeeze cock club, and also, the load a belt club.. including the Thumper club (40MM)

Senior Moderator
    RoadRunner,

Most "experts" I have talked to including Wilson Combat and Caspian agree that AL alloy is good for carrying but they will shoot out quicker. For example, Caspian does not give any warrantee on their AL alloy frames like they do on their steel frames.

Back when I was building a number of 1911s based on Caspian frames and slides, I talked to Gary of Caspian at length about using one of their AL frames. He basically talked me out of it.

But, OTOH, if you don't shoot them a lot, they should be fine. One of my instructors at Gunsite has now decided to carry a commander size with an AL frame.

Assistant Administrator
    Jon - decocker proficiency is enough - so yeah rookies should manage the ''shake''.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Jon - decocker proficiency is enough - so yeah rookies should manage the ''shake''.
    Good lord, man! Don't you know that you should never attempt to decock a hand while it's pointed at someone? Where has your safety training gone!

Jon

Assistant Administrator
    But Jon - tho you wouldn't know it - the finger needs bent, thus keeping it in a safe direction :hand25:

Painful, but safe!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon
    I'd bet we'd be correct in assumin' that your club's handshake is easier for rookies to master since it doesn't require one to flip off a thumb safety.
    Ahhh you under estamate the power of the 1911 Association

You see, I have the one man who matters on my side, 1 phone call and I can have your password and handshake.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    ... I have the one man who matters on my side ...
    So ... I guess that would make you a chimp off the old block?

Best,
    Jon

Thanks for all of the input everyone. It sounds like a Lightweight Commander is the way to go. My Kel-Tec P11 can start to seem awful heavy even after a few hours, so I don't think that a steel frame gun is for me. For some reason I just can't warm up to the new XSE Commander from Colt though, so I think I'll just save my pennies and buy a used Lightweight from GunsAmerica. It'll end up costing almost as much, but it will be money spent for the gun I want. I've settled for less too many times, and ended up spending more because of it. No sense going down that road again.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner
    Thanks for all of the input everyone. It sounds like a Lightweight Commander is the way to go. My Kel-Tec P11 can start to seem awful heavy even after a few hours, so I don't think that a steel frame gun is for me. For some reason I just can't warm up to the new XSE Commander from Colt though, so I think I'll just save my pennies and buy a used Lightweight from GunsAmerica. It'll end up costing almost as much, but it will be money spent for the gun I want. I've settled for less too many times, and ended up spending more because of it. No sense going down that road again.
    Sounds like a plan, Roadrunner! Just one tip, though - some folks just do well with some sorts of handguns, and others do well with others. For instance, some folks love Glocks. I think they're great guns too, but I just can't seem to use them very well. I think it's because the grip angle is a bit steeper than the 1911s and the old Browning Hi Power I have. So, what I'm gettin' at (yea, I can be a bit long-winded) is before you plunk down the bucks, try different ones out, and see which one YOU like the best. 'bout any handgun you buy new that was made by a reputable manufacturer is going to be plenty reliable and accurate for defensive purposes (but still run a few hundred rounds through any gun and, if applicable, magazines before you carry it!), so choose the one that you shoot the best.

Best,
    Jon

Good tip BigJon. That's actually why I'm going with a Commander. I've shot Sigs, Berettas, Rugers and Kel-Tecs; none of them have come close to working as well as the Kimber I rented at a public range. My groups were considerably tighter with the 1911, and it just feels 'right'. JMB knew what he was doing.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    For some reason I just can't warm up to the new XSE Commander from Colt though
    Any specific reasons for this? It is a very nice piece.

I too like the looks of the older Colt commanders, and would love to have one to add to my collection, but for a carry gun its gotta be Stainless, thats why I went with the new XSE Commander.

I'm quicker with a follow up shot with my a steel commander which is worth the extra weight...........

I've shot Sigs, Berettas, Rugers and Kel-Tecs; none of them have come close to working as well as the Kimber I rented at a public range. My groups were considerably tighter with the 1911, and it just feels 'right'.
    All these guns mentioned above are DA/SA(except for the Kel-Tec ,DAO). Single action should feel better to most(less trigger travel and trigger reset).

Myself I'll go for the extra weight. I have an alloy Para P12(I like it), but I need the more durable construction. I carry +P ammo, so I train with +P ammo. I had to go out and get a new Para P-13 Limited(haven't picked it up yet) because of the all steel frame.
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

Hving owned and carrieda couple of the Combat Commanders and then moving to a NIB 1967 LWT Commander for a cary gun, there is no doubt in my mind what so ever: get the LWT Commander. I carried it every day for about 5 years untill an Alaskan Airlines baggage handler helped himself to it.
    I liked it so much I bought a Series 70 as an understudy to it. They are the perfect slim, yet powerful package. For a while I had a pair of Milt Sparks Summer Specials, right and left. They packed easy over either kidney.
    Skeeter Skelton answered all the questions as to durabiluty long ago they last and are a pleasure to tote. I even made a pocket holster for mine for wearing with heavy shorts in the summer.
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links