I Found This Rossi At Academy Sports

This is a discussion on I Found This Rossi At Academy Sports within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have this exact gun. It resides in my nightable! The 2" barrel is not as accurate as I would like, and the "concealed carry" ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Found This Rossi At Academy Sports

I have this exact gun. It resides in my nightable!

The 2" barrel is not as accurate as I would like, and the "concealed carry" sights will also limit accuracy.

Overall I'm very happy with its performance. I have about 200 rounds through it.

This is the second Rossi I own. I also have the 6" chrome barrel .357. This gun is about as accurate as I can get it. Judging from the recoil of a 357, I wouldn't really want to shoot that round in the 2" version.

IMHO - you made a good purchase.

2. Remove Ads

I had a TERRIBLE Rossi wheelgun experience and would advise against ANY Rossi. In a nutshell,
    (1) I bought a Rossi R462 (the 2" 357) NIB, and it broke after 50 rounds. Despite it being brand new, I had to send it to the factory for repair on my dime ($40).
    (2) 5 weeks later the pistol came back after they replaced the broken 'bolt'. Goes through 500 rounds of 38 and 357 in 6 months, then starts to have timing issues. Finally the cylinder won't lock up, so I call Rossi again. Back to the factory again, and again on my dime (another $40).
    (3) Pistol comes back 6 weeks later, with the same part as before having been broken and replaced. I resolve to sell it, but let my dad run a few rounds through it again. Big mistake, the SAME FRICKEN' PART breaks again after 6 rounds. Call Rossi, back to the factory again, again on me (yet another $40).

(4) This time when the pistol came back from it's 3RD F-ING factory repair, I got rid of it.

So to recap, when the Rossi revolver worked, it was an accurate and fun to shoot gun. However, Rossi obviously used cheap cheap quality parts to make it since the same part broke 3 times. And, Rossi's customer service sucks anus, to be kind to them (if I wasn't kind I'd say worse things about them). I ended up spending another 30% or so of the cost of the gun just sending it to them to fix, and they take their sweet time fixing their cruddy products. In contrast, I had a part break on a Springfield Armory 1911 once, and not only did they pay shipping both ways but they also got it fixed in about 3 days. That's what customer service is supposed to be, not Rossi's "up yours" attitude.

I hope you do not end up regretting buying a cheap gun from Rossi. My cheapo Rossi ended up costing me considerably more than the Ruger SP101 I bought to replace it, not to mention the aggravation of not being able to depend on it. I'd advise you to spend more and get a Ruger or a Smith.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I have seen alot of Rossi's fail while teaching CCW...I wouldn't spend my money on one.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

mine works fine and it is my summer gun

it puts two center of mass and one to the head at 65 feet consistently, treat it like you would a S&W J frame or K frame from the 1970's and you should do fine

(practice with 38 and carry 357)

IMHO recoil is not bad in either caliber

I had a S&W model 13 in the early eighties that had a chamber fail S&W took care of it - even paid the shipping and sent it through the custom shop for timing and trigger job - that is the only handgun I regret getting rid of...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links