Target sights for concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Target sights for concealed carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to get a Springfield Blackened Stainless loaded 1911. There is a local shop that has a used Loaded with target/night sights for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target sights for concealed carry?

Target sights for concealed carry?

I am going to get a Springfield Blackened Stainless loaded 1911.
    There is a local shop that has a used Loaded with target/night sights for a great price or I can order a combat model with combat sights.

I would prefer the precision of target sights, but I'm thinking the target sights would hang up a little more on clothing than the rounded off combat sights......Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Can the target sights live up to daily carry?

I know this is a cherry question, but this is my last decision and some advise from a seasoned person would be appreciated.
    thanks!

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    There's different schools of thought on this, I know the model your talking about, and I don't feel they would snag on the draw.

Most negatives on the adjustable sights is that it's one more thing that can break, but those adj. night sights from Springer look pretty tough.

If the price is right, I'd buy it.

Also,

Welcome to the forum!

Target sights are more fragile than standard sights and usually do not have rounded edges to prevent hang ups. More than likely if you need the gun for defense you won't even know if it has sights.

Thanks guys, that is exactly what I needed to hear/read!

In a self defense situation your fine motor skills will be gone, so target sights are not really gonna do you a lot of good..
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I know.

I currently carry a Ruger p89 in a fobus paddle holster. What I have noticed...... Walking on private property(read safe shooting area) I walk with my head down, look up, find a target, draw, and fire to work on speed and accuracy. Although I always hit my target, I never notice my sights on the target....it just hits every time. This is on targets from 5 feet to 25 feet. At least with the p89, I think my shots are well placed "pointing" shots rather than "aimed" shots.

I'm hoping that I'm as natural with the 1911 as with the p89. With the target sights, I would have a little more precision when just slow and easy shooting for fun.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    1911's are amazing "point and click shooters", particularly when targeting something the size of COM

Target sights

My meager experiance with target/combat sights is my Colt has quite sharp edges whereas my Springfield and Wilson have "retro" Yost sights. I believe Springfield uses MMC, which are rounded and very good and from what my deputy friend says, they are pretty darn tough. He has a set on his 1911 and they have been well used for about 8 years.
    I agree with the school of thought that you should worry more about your front sight, which brings in more questions: NS, gold bead, target dot, etc, etc.

Now that I have rambled, it all comes down to what you like and can use. To be honest, I cannot use Novak's... dunno why, can't explain but I cannot hit the broadside of a bldg with an AT-4. But I can drive tacks with standard Kimber sights...
    Best advice: try out the various kinds before committing.

Administrator
    Well, if the gun is fit with a good high quality adjustible rear and the price is right then go for it.

You can easily round off two sharp corners on a target rear.

One of my favorite .45 for carry has a rock solid adj rear and it has never been a problem and does not hang up at all.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I think another drawback of Bomar-type target sights with that adjustable blade rear sight is that the rear sight can possibly wear a whole in your shirt quicker than a Novak-type rear site.

-JT

UNCG,

I run a Springer Loaded with target sights as one of my carry guns.
    At the time I didn't know it untill after order and receipt but when you receive your new Springer it'll come with a "Loaded" coupon providing a limited time one time opportunity to order accessories at a greatly reduced price. One of the items on the listing is a target front and rear sight package swap in against combat sights. No relief cuts to the slide are required for them as it the rear is designed to fit a Novak cut.
    Had I known such a specific sight option were available then I would have selected the 'Combat' model instead of the 'Target' that I have.

Regardless either way I have had no problems of any sort with my target sights neither being snags, nor wearing holes in any of my clothes.
    Further I use it toward IDPA and I do _not_ wear a vest cover instead always running the street clothing I walked in with and as noted by others around me my draw time is as quick as anyone else wearing a vest if not faster.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

JD
    Administrator
    Just as an FYI I'm pretty sure that this is the style sight he's talking about:

With this being the model.

When I wore blazers to work all the time, the fixed sights (pre-Novak) on my old 5904 would shred the lining (nylon or something light) in short order. On the other hand, no sharp target sight blade has worn a hole in my 5.11 vest or caught on it, and I have a lot of draws/wear with it in several seasons of IDPA. I do like the big, Bomar-looking adjustables but with the top edges rounded off.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, if the gun is fit with a good high quality adjustible rear and the price is right then go for it.

You can easily round off two sharp corners on a target rear.

One of my favorite .45 for carry has a rock solid adj rear and it has never been a problem and does not hang up at all.
    I have the target sights and had them rounded off and re-blued. Before that, they would snag my arm, put a hell of a scratch on the inside of my arm, but after rounding no problem.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

My philosophy is target sights for a target gun and fixed combat sights for a carry gun. Simple, unmoveable and rugged on the carry sights vs. fragile and bulky on the target sights.

Having said that when I was "green" years ago, I wanted target sights. As my level of knowldge grew and my experiences grew, I have moved completely away from target sights. Of all the hadguns I now own, only the wifes Ruger MKII bull barrel .22 has target sights. I anticipate I'll never have use for target sights other than that gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links