Snubbed

This is a discussion on Snubbed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked this up today, have yet to shoot it and will most likely work my way up to full power .357 loads... but I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snubbed

Snubbed

Just picked this up today, have yet to shoot it and will most likely work my way up to full power .357 loads... but I guess I have officially joined the snub club!

Now I need a new holster, some loading dies, brass, maybe place an order or two at Midway....

Any suggestions on what I MUST have to go with this... a pocket holster maybe?

Added more photos

What it is going to replace, interesting to see the 38 spl rounds next to the .380
    Last edited by Prvt. Toter; June 26th, 2008 at 12:17 AM.
    If your not packin' your slackin'

Its better to have and not need than to need and not have, keep it safe but keep it loaded!

USN : Desert Storm

2. Remove Ads

Nice!! I have a 642 that I Love.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
    --Thomas Jefferson

“We are not retreating—we are advancing in another direction.”
    General Douglas MacArthur

Sweet, I have a 442 that I EDC. I am partial to my Kramer pocket holster or Galco Ankle Glove. I am waiting on an APX from Lou Alessi and some Spegel Cocobolos.

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Nice snubby, everyone should have at least one...
    You don't really need those 'heavy' loads...it attracts attention at the range...and gives your hand a heck of a workout.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

EW3
    .357 loads in that light little snubby are going to be pretty brutal and not conducive to you practicing much.

Better to use a decent .38 +P round for defensive purposes and regular .38 for practice, practice, practice.

Just my $0.02
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    man...welcome to the club...have a 642 and a model 60...I think a snubbie is a necessity for any gun person...
    If you can shoot .357 mag rounds in that sweet thing, then do it...many can not..and use 38+p....practice often, and love it.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

take a look at the clip draw belt clip. i use one on my model 60. sometimes it is good to go without a holster,,,the clip draw does the job well.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Yes welcome to the snubby club. I use the De Santis Nemesis for pocket care. For OWB carry I use a Brauer Brothers, no longer made.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

.357 is not that bad

I shoot 50 rds of full house .357 everytime I go to the range from my 340sc The one that is titanium and scandium. It weights about 12 oz. I really wonder how many people who say the are brutal have actually shot one? I'm not saying it is comfortable to shoot but it is a comfort to carry. and I can shoot 4 in groups at 7yrds. in a few seconds from draw. Not as fast as my 1911's or even my M&P9c but fast enough for the trade off of size and weight. I love mine and continue to reccomend them. The S&W airlights are great.

I have to agree with the Clip Draw. I also have to agree with the comment about getting yourself some +P .38 rounds. I personally like Buffalo Bore 158 grain lead hollow point semi wadcutters myself.

Thanks for all the input, that clip draw looks like it might be worth a try.

I went to our local Walmart today to buy my typical white box winchester rounds... typically hit them about once a month for a 4-5 boxes of various calibers of ammo. The guy at the counter told me they are no longer selling guns or ammunition. Guess I will have to find somewhere else to buy natchos in the future since they just lost my business...

I plan to pick up some 38 +P or +P+ along with a box of .357 to try. I have about 4500 double ended wad cutters that I can load up for practice rounds, but those will be light loads and may not represent point of aim for defense rounds... I have read somewhere that the +P 38s are equivilent to the .357 rounds out of the 1 7/8 barrells due to not being able to get a full expansion of the gasses in the short barrell... anyone know if there is any truth to that? I will probibly chrono some just for grins anyway...

Thanks again, and good shooting...
    If your not packin' your slackin'

Its better to have and not need than to need and not have, keep it safe but keep it loaded!

USN : Desert Storm

Safariland speed loaders. Do a little sanding on the rough edge of the speedloader and they are pretty slick. Push against the cylinder and they release. Much better than the HKS knob type. I keep one with an epoxied extension on my right side next to the cell phone. Looks like a small screwdriver handle, but in ten seconds or less I can be up and running with another charge. They are more of a gross motor function, as they say, than the speed strips.

I carry my snubbie in a Fobus ankle holster, and love it.

Toter,

I personally think the +p in .38 varies on manufacturer and bullet weight. I have shot Corbon 110 grain +p in my 340 and it is nowhere near what .357 feels like. The 158 grain stuff for sure rocks my world a bit more. I would think that a combination of a short barrel, and light gun are more of the culprit than just the short barrel in regards to perceived recoil.

Senior Moderator
    Nice pistol
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links