Grooved rubber grips

Grooved rubber grips

This is a discussion on Grooved rubber grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm curious as to how many people have experience with this type grip. I have put either Hogue or Pearce grooved rubber grips on virtually ...

Thread: Grooved rubber grips

Grooved rubber grips

I'm curious as to how many people have experience with this type grip. I have put either Hogue or Pearce grooved rubber grips on virtually every handgun I own. Except for single action stuff.

I find that they very significantly improve my ability to lock the gun into my grip, and allow me to better control follow up shots. The gun just doesn't move in my hand.

However, I don't believe I've seen very many pictures of weapons equipped with these when people post their carry weapons.

I realize there are several factors that may go into choosing grips, not withstanding their appearance. But from a carry standpoint, these just seem to me to be heads above anything else I've tried.

Is it just me?
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

I liked that style grip on my previous 1911 model pistols. Now I'm mainly into the hard plastic finger groove grip style----Glock. I do have a Hogue grip sleeve on my P220 though--mainly because nobody offers replacement rubber finger grove grips for it!

Rubber grips tend to be a poor choice for concealed carry since they will "grab" onto clothing.

ranburr

I loved the way a pair of Hogue slip on grips felt on my Glocks. The palm swell and finger grooves made them fit "perfectly" in my hand. However, I find that extensive shooting sessions with a lot of different drills involved (dept training) makes the grips move around a little. Enough to annoy me, because sometimes they ride up and interfere with the mag release or move the finger grooves off center.

So, as much as I loved the feel, for tactical reasons I took them all off. The Glocks still feel great in my hand and I shoot well with them. I have a 2nd generation 19 and 23. The 3rd generations feel better but they lack the palm swell. My 2nd gen 23 is soon to be traded for a 3rd gen, but I wish Glock would do something like the M&Ps and have adjustable palm swell.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

The Uncle Mike's Boot Grips do not grab fabric
    like Hogue Bantams or Pachmayr Compacs.
    I have them on my 340 PD.

I like the rubber Hogue Bantam grip on my S&W 431PD .32 H&R magnum. I am thinking about getting a Hogue Monogrip for my other revolver, a Ruger SP101 .357 magnum. I like my Glock 26 9mm 3rd generation like it is already. My Taurus Judge 410GA/.45LC has the ribber rubber grips which I like also as well.

I know for a fact that I am a better shooter with these grips versus the wood grips, and they seem to cushion recoil allowing for faster follow up shots.
    God bless our troops!

JD
    Administrator
    I like Hogues, I have a set on my 360PD, a set on my GP100, and previously had panels / wrap a-rounds on various 1911s.

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    Rubber grips tend to be a poor choice for concealed carry since they will "grab" onto clothing.

ranburr
    Interesting. I've carried this way for about a year and a half now and haven't seen an issue. IWB or shoulder.

You feel it makes it slow to draw, or keeps clothing from concealing well?
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

Lead Moderator
    I carry with Pierce grips and finger groove with no problems. I used to have the slip over Hogue on my HK ,but find it fits me better with out.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I've had rubber grips on some guns, and have had them "grab" the fabric of some cover garments (and pants legs in the ankle rig!) but not others. Also, the Hogue monogrip on the J-frame grabs cloth much more than the Bantams-grip LENGTH is the difference, looks like, in that case. I have some Taurus rubber grips on my 642 now, and they are a slicker rubber and grab little or none-and shoot better than any other small grip I've used.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I have noticed the same thing with the Taurus rubber grips, I wonder why their grips seem to be so much slicker than the others?
    God bless our troops!

Senior Moderator
    For me they usually add too much bulk and it hurts rather than helps my grip. I prefer rubber for it's comfort but for some reason all rubber grips I've tried have all been so thick.. ESPECIALLY wrap around grips.

I get the thinnest grips I can get my hands on and usually smooth if the frame of my gun has good checkering.

HOGUE grips w/ finger inserts on Beretta (works good!)

PEARCE Pinky Extender & CTC laser grips on XD9sc. (just installed the CTC so no practical info yet....)
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

Sponsored Links