Kahr's

This is a discussion on Kahr's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bud One of the only guns I have ever regretted trading was my P-9. I carried that gun exclusively for almost three years, and never ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kahr's

Bud

One of the only guns I have ever regretted trading was my P-9. I carried that gun exclusively for almost three years, and never worried about it. The Kahr was super reliable, extremely accurate for a DA gun, and man, was it ever easy to carry.

I toted it with me to fla soon after 9-11, when everyone was worried about the terrorist threat. I carried it under a tee shirt in a cheap bianchi IWB, and I honestly forgot about having it on. Never had that with any other serious pistol.

Ten years previous to that I had a K-9. It was a lot heavier than the P-9, obviously, and less reliable. I bought it used, and the previous owner told me he had sent it back to the factory once.

It worked reliably only with silvertips, ball, and hydra shocks. But, as I noted, it was one of the early models.

In fact, I was on the phone last night with Brommeland talking about having him make me a rig for a new P-9 I will probably buy next month sometime.

2. Remove Ads

Bud
    I've sen a couple of the 9mm guns come back for repair. Mainly because they wouldn't feed properly.
    The Polymer guns don't come back, as well as the stainless steel 40 cals.
    They fire in a D/A mode, but won't do a double strike (as in a hard primer strike.) You need to pull the slide rearwards and then pull the trigger again (as in the Glock) in order to fire the cartidge in the chamber. Just an observation IMO.

DR
    I've got two K9s and I think they're great. Flat, accurate, nice smooth triggers. I can see how you might run into problems if you have big hands: mine are on the smaller end of large (about a size 9) and my trigger finger just barely contacts my thumb when shooting. It's no problem for me but could be for someone with bigger hands.
    My first Kahr needed a trip back to Kahr to be 100% with JHP (about 1 round out of 200 would nosedive when feeding). The other one has been 100% from the start.
    I installed the Elite trigger in one of them. It makes it better but it's not as if the standard trigger needs improvement. I'm not going to bother upgrading the other one unless I already have the trigger apart for some other reason.
    Overall, a nice solid compact gun.

VIP Member
    I own three Kahrs: P45 (.45 ACP), P9 Covert (9mm) and PM9 (9mm). They are all outstanding little guns. The power to size (and weight) ratio is awesome. Controllable, lightweight, accurate...what's not to love about them....well, except for the price...they can be a tad pricey.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I have a K9 and I believe it to be a reliable and very concealable carry piece. It is heavier that the polymer versions, but I like the weight as I used to carry a .40 Glock and am used to the weight. I had a few FTB's with the first 100 rounds, but found it was more my problem than the gun's fault (recently had a broken hand and wrist). I now have about 500 rounds through it and I have fed it everything from 147 gr. to 115 gr. with no problems. I even tried stacking different bullet weights in the same magazine (just for testing) and had no troubles. I've had the pistol for about 2 months and it goes everywhere I can go legally or without being fired from the job. If it fits the hand that carries it, it will serve well, IMHO.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

I have the all stainless MK9 and MK40, both are very reliable (I have never had a malfunction with either weapon and they both have over 500 rounds through them of various factory JHP's). The grips on the MK series are a little short for me and I have medium size hands. Pierce Grip makes a Kahr magazine grip extender, which works real good for me and does not add much length to the butt. The DAO trigger does take some practice to master, but for a DAO trigger it is very light and smooth. Even when I have not practiced for quite a while, I have no problem keeping COM double taps in the kill zone at 30 feet. I dont intend to target shoot at 25 yards with these weapons, if I intend to do that, I have more appropriate guns. For thier intended use and size they are great little guns.

PM sent Bud

Bud.. Just an update to my post. The Kahr 9mm that came back to the store, didn't like Wichester ranger ammo. The LEO that bought the gun was required to use the Ranger ammo, due to PD requirments. He traded the gun back to us, for a full refund, and bought the Polymer 9mm, which has NOT come back. We also gave him a couple of extra mags, and I polished the feed ramp for him before he took the gun out of the store. Could have been the mags or the ammo. He's not been back since, but I'm hoping he'll call me to tell me his results.

Thanks again Guys

Mk9

Mk9 for me with no complaints,carried with extra mag.It's a well made gunthats easy to carry.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    My P-9 is very controllable, so the heavier K-9 should be even easier to shoot. I personally find the MK/PM grips too short to get a good grip. All the Kahrs I know of are very accurate and the triggers are long but light.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Well, I'll pile on the heap. I have a Kahr P-9 with several thousand rounds through it. It's got to be one of the best concealed carry pieces on teh market in my opinion. Flat, smooth trigger, accurate, reliable, etc. I like how the spare mag is an extended mag to make up for the capacity. I have the blackened stainless slide (tungsten coating) with night sights. It's not going to rust easily, is flatter than any other pistol I've handled or shot, has little to no kick, only a little muzzle flip. Shoots any brand of ammo I've ever shot through it. Runs the same dirty as it does cleaned and lubbed. The ergonomics are great and it's the most concealable, serious pistol I own. I like mine.

If I had the money, I'd like to get a Kahr K40. I love the grip and the extra weight to off set the .40 caliber, but It would just be for the fun of having it as it would be heavy to carry all day versus my 9. I'm only 5'7", 175lbs so I'm sensitive to the weight and size. Mine cost a pretty penny because of the blackened slide and night sights but I love it. I'm still trying to find the perfect holsters for it. I have a fist #3 kydex IWB that's really decent but I'd like a good leather IWB too, and then I'd like to get a nice OWB leather for it that would hold it high and tight.

I really think Kahrs are a lot better than their present reputation.

Good day!

Gideon

I have a P40 and love it... has anybody tried the ported barrel for this pistol?

Update

Well we rented one today the Small polymer 40 cant rember the #'s excatly.

My thoughts on it its deff not for me and im not really recoil sensitive but to much Muzzle whip i could shoot it decently but controlling it for second third shots no..

It twisted in my hand every Shot way to small..

dad shot it and couldnt hit nothing with it till round 20 shots then started hitting but low..

He complained of Recoil also It started hurting his wrists so he stopped shooting it ..

Havent heard him complaine of his carpel(sp) tunnel ever when shooting not even hot 44's but he said it killed him.

Switched him to my Glock 17 and he tore up the target hes gonna try a kahr in 9mm next time and either a model 19 glock or 26 he doesnt want one as small as my xd subcompact so i think 19 will do him fine.

Just wanted to update everyone who posted here our experances as limited as they were..

Also ever time i shot the kahr i waited for it to open up top of my hand with the slide.

I bought my wife a Kahr MK9 as her carry piece. She picked it out after handling and giving it the 4 times over at KTP. She hasn't been able to shoot it yet because she is pregnant but she "forced" me to take it to the range and go through the 200 round break in ( oh the humanity!! LOL!). Great little shooter there! I put 225 rounds of WWB through it in just over 60 minutes with no cool-down or clean up. I had one FTE and 2 FTB in the early going but had no other problems with it at the range. Accuracy was impressive with a gun of this size. I pretty much shot out the head area with a few flyers from 7 yards over the course of the break in. I thought it was extremely easy to control and bring back on target. I was going through mags at 1-2 shots per second so I wasn't really going for all out accuracy. The Kahr was just easy to shoot well.

I did notice after coming home that slingshotting the slide into battery has a tendency to FTB. The WWB I'm loading it with for right now hangs up on the feed ramp very close to the top. A slight nudge on the slide and it goes into battery. I tried poilshing the feed ramp a little bit and it got better but still hangs on occasion. I didn't run into this at the range since I normally use the slide release to get into battery. Using the slide release on the Kahr seems to work fine though. Haven't had an FTB using the release. I'll put some more rounds through it soon and then go back and polish the feed ramp a little more the next time I clean it and see how that works.

All in all though, it's a decent little piece. Once I get a couple hundred rounds of Gold0Dot through it, I'll switch to those for her carry ammo if there are no problems.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links